DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

19 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Remember Skyrim at launch when mammoths would randomly launch people into the upper stratosphere? God, that ruled.

You mean Giants?  Yes, that still happens to this very day in Skyrim SE.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I think there’s a difference in Bethesda bugs and every other developer. At least in my experience. I’ve never had anything game breaking in Fallout 3/NV/4 or Skyrim. Whereas, the two most recent examples I can think of for me personally (Cyberpunk and Avengers) were complete and total shitshows on launch. Bethesda bugs are just funny, or so minor that I don’t even care.

I think the famous one with Skyrim on the PlayStation was as you played further and further, the memory or something built up and by the time you were 75% of the game it was basically 15 FPS and trying to open doors would crash the game. But they eventually fixed that of course.

That's an old engine issue that goes at least back to Morrowind, where save bloat due to the game having to remember open doors and looted chests was an actual serious issue. It was a real thing that you could help yourself by closing doors behind you if you expected to be in a long playthrough, because the saves had to make a note for every open door. Fat Old XBOX saves taking 3 minutes to load was a very real thing. Also if you loot one item from a chest loot them all because it's literally the same thing to the save file.

I can barely remember my loved ones' birthdays but my Morrowind knowledge base is inpenetrable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

And you get it "an hour earlier" than us on the east coast. 🙂

I don't. We're on the same time zone because this state is fucking stupid and observes Daylight Saving Time. So we're always on EST.

I thought your part of the state was always Central Time, since you were in Chicago suburbs. 

When I lived there, tere were 3 time zones: all CT near Chicago, all ET near Louisville and rest of state that doesn't do any changing (which is what Bloomington was). 

38 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I thought your part of the state was always Central Time, since you were in Chicago suburbs. 

When I lived there, tere were 3 time zones: all CT near Chicago, all ET near Louisville and rest of state that doesn't do any changing (which is what Bloomington was). 

Oh, no. I live like 2 or 3 minutes from Notre Dame. I think a portion just across stateline is considered part of Chicago suburbs, but South Bend is like 3 counties away from that. The next county over to the west though observes CT.

Ah. My memory is that it was most of the NW corner of that state. Don't think I've been up that way since 1993 or 1994, when I saw a hockey game at ND during my crazy week of seeing like 4 college games in 10 days (ND-BG-Ferris-Lake St) and Jr Wings at Joe Louis (only game I ever saw there). 

Edited by odessasteps

I'm hoping to play it so much this weekend that I can read this thread still. Anything I post will be spoiler-free, just general thoughts of the game without mentioning storylines, but I am certainly not going to spoil anything during early access. Since I have been avoiding reading anything about the game itself I'd never want to ruin it for someone else doing the same.

Last night I fired up the Xbox to play AC6 and I figured, well, there's the tile for Starfield, let's click on it again! So I click on it, a black screen with the Starfield logo on it fills my tv, and I instantly got excited...and then the pop up window came up saying I was too early and to visit the store page to see when I could play it.

Fuckers.

And I'll be posting stuff about the game in here, but anything specific I'll put in spoilers.

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Last night I fired up the Xbox to play AC6 and I figured, well, there's the tile for Starfield, let's click on it again! So I click on it, a black screen with the Starfield logo on it fills my tv, and I instantly got excited...and then the pop up window came up saying I was too early and to visit the store page to see when I could play it.

Fuckers.

And I'll be posting stuff about the game in here, but anything specific I'll put in spoilers.

I'm hoping for good things.  I loved Skyrim and Fallout.  But I think I might wait a bit.  I haven't seen enough of the character progression and RPG elements to rope me in yet.  

Honestly, the only thing that worries me is that this will be lacking in the humor that the Fallout games have and will be grimdark serious like Skyrim. I basically just want some stories that are close to the level of the last flight of the USS Constitution.

So, my boss has been traveling a lot, and I'm still using vacation hours from last year's rollover, so I figured I'd take some time off for the launch of Starfield.  Last night around 7:30 or so, I was sitting on my couch watching TV, and the TV just turned off.  I thought I sat on the remote or something, but I looked and saw the remote on the table.  So, I try to turn the TV back on, and it cuts right back off.  I can't believe this shit, I go through LG customer support, and it's not helpful at all.  They tell me I can call their only certified technician in the area which is 45 minutes away and has a 2.9 rating on Google and a 2.7 rating on Yelp.  The reviews are full of people claiming that this person took their TV, and they never heard from him again.  So, I look around and see if I can find someone better, and I call a company with a 4.9 rating.  He says, "oh, you have the worst kind of problem.  Your TV doesn't even stay on long enough to diagnose the issue, I'll have to open it up just to see where to start."  So, he's going to go back to his shop after his service call to see if he even has enough parts to try to fix my TV and call me back.  What kind of shit is this?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

So, my boss has been traveling a lot, and I'm still using vacation hours from last year's rollover, so I figured I'd take some time off for the launch of Starfield.  Last night around 7:30 or so, I was sitting on my couch watching TV, and the TV just turned off.  I thought I sat on the remote or something, but I looked and saw the remote on the table.  So, I try to turn the TV back on, and it cuts right back off.  I can't believe this shit, I go through LG customer support, and it's not helpful at all.  They tell me I can call their only certified technician in the area which is 45 minutes away and has a 2.9 rating on Google and a 2.7 rating on Yelp.  The reviews are full of people claiming that this person took their TV, and they never heard from him again.  So, I look around and see if I can find someone better, and I call a company with a 4.9 rating.  He says, "oh, you have the worst kind of problem.  Your TV doesn't even stay on long enough to diagnose the issue, I'll have to open it up just to see where to start."  So, he's going to go back to his shop after his service call to see if he even has enough parts to try to fix my TV and call me back.  What kind of shit is this?

Worst possible timing. It's probably either a shitty capacitor or a fried board. I would think it's a capacitor if the TV at least can turn on. It sounds like the issue my friend had. He found a capacitor in his TV that got fat, but wasn't oozing or leaking. He then called around, found someone in town who had the right replacement, bought himself a soldering iron, and then fixed it himself.  Hopefully that's what it is for you because that would be the cheapest fix.

Yeah, the reviews coming in are making me glad I'm waiting (or not in a position to splurge).  The last full-price game I bought, ever, was Fallout 4 with the Season Pass.  I don't *regret* it, per se, but given how modded I had to make that game to really get what I wanted out of it, I would have been better off saving my money and getting it on sale some time down the road, once those mods were in-play.

Gameranx (more specifically Jake, though if Falcon reviewed it, I'd trust what he'd have to say just as much) basically said it's a Bethesda-ass video game, so that comes with all the faults and foibles you'd expect.  But that comes with some good things, too.  He specifically said, "Do you want a game to provide that Bethesda kind of comfort that wraps you up like a warm blanket?"  Yes, yes I do.  The leveling/perk system could be good?  Hard to say how it will come off in this particular setting.  But otherwise their descriptions made it sound like it's a lot of

Spoiler

Fallout 4 in space

so if you dig that, and if the stories don't suck, maybe it will be a decent buy on release.  But I'm not sure it sounds like a blow-everyone-away GOTY, so TOTK might still have that locked up.

Edited by Contentious C