DVDVR Message Board

SECRET INVASION (SPOILER TALK)

3 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

The more I think about it, the more stupid stuff I remember, like Fury and Sonia murdering a bunch of innocent secret service agents or the President effectively declaring war on New Asgard.

Fury and Sonia were tranqing Agents, at least Fury was.

But yeah, the President's push for all non-native species being banned from earth does effectively declare war on Asgardains, so I'm sure King Valkrye is going to be amped about that.

• Haha 1

Ok, one more...

Tony's snap removed Thanos' entire forces from existance...

There shouldn't be any DNA to have harvested from any of Thanos' forces at the end of that battle.  Unless we're going with the Stones just up and forgot to remove any leftover remains.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Fury and Sonia were tranqing Agents, at least Fury was.

Yeah, I just went back and watched parts, and Fury was shown shooting someone with a tranq, but in an earlier scene they showed an agent lying flat on his back with what looks like a (shockingly small, tbf) wound/bullet hole in his chest.

I saw stuff that people think they used this to set up "Dark Reign" which makes sense if Ross is going to become President and replace the inactive Avengers with the Thunderbolts (and also makes sense if Sonya is recruiting G'iah to set up Excalibur), so while I'm meh on the series, I can wait to rank it until I see if it set up other stuff and works as a bridge, since I was really meh on Civil War until Infinity War finished up the story.

I think this series makes me actually interested in Armor Wars (if it still happens), since it’s implied that Rhodey has been a Skrull since… what, Civil War, maybe? If that’s true, he has no idea about the events of Infinity War/Endgame, and should lead to some really good Cheadle scenes mourning Stark and others.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

So G'iah has the powers of:  Gamora, Winter Soldier, Captain America, Ghost, Abomination, Captain Marvel, Mantis, Proxima Midnight, Corvus Glaive, Cull Obsidian, Ebony Maw, Thanos, Drax, Korg, Valkyrie, Hulk, Thor, Groot, Extremis, an Outrider, a Chitauri, and a Frost Beast.  What is the point of any other hero now?  Just have her fight Kang.  Oh, and if you have seen any trailer for The Marvels you know that their powers are connected so does that mean G'iah is connected to them as well?  No, because the writers didn't pay attention or didn't know and are terrible.

This show was full of terrible writing.  Gravik was a terrible villain.  He wanted Fury to suffer, then wanted him dead, but he actually didn't want him dead even though he told Fury's wife to kill him, but he actually didn't want her to kill him and knew that she wouldn't, and then got mad that she didn't follow his instructions and sent people to kill her.  What if she did kill Fury?  No Harvest (a thing we didn't find out about until the end of episode 5) for Gravik if that's the case.  Does he get mad at her for following his orders?  Again, terrible writing.

The only well written character was Olivia Coleman's.  After the strike the only writer that should even be considered for another job in Marvel should be the one that wrote for her.  Or just fire that person and trust Coleman can just spin straw into gold.  Fury was, once again, a legacy character written as an old, washed up main character who nobody respects, only got to where he is because other people did things for him and should hang things up.  G'iah was written as some emotionless emo (I get the contradiction) who in episode 1 was party to killing 6000 innocent people, told her father his whole plan and ideals sucked, and now are we supposed to care about her?  Everyone else was forgettable. 

Final thing:  All of the humans kept in the Skrull base should be dead from radiation poison.  How do you have "Fury" dying of radiation poisoning in such a short time and the whole point of the place being that humans couldn't go there and then right after that show humans being kept there?  Oh yeah, writers for Marvel recently have sucked.

• Like 1

Yeah, the rads thing was beyond stupid.  Really couldn't stand the plot hole there or the power-creep of how things wrapped up, but I have to say I liked Gravik's speechifying.  One of the only times where Villain Gloating was high enough quality to be worth the time spent on it. 

The rest of this was often actively bad.  Did AI write it, too?

this series did absolutely nothing for me. at all. a mildly interesting setup (i thought the same about the comics series and ended up enjoying it overall) but character motivations and relationships were just all over the place. was it worth a six episode series to have Rhodes be a skrull and Maria Hill killed off? Other than that, it didn't involve or have consequences for a single other character. Sure, they could use the "anti-Earthling act" to cause repurcussions for the Asgardians, or whoever, but that certainly doesn't make me want to watch a USA vs. New Asgard movie. 

too many new characters whose "reveals" and "relationships" meant nothing. the most telling was Fury's wife, who was literally never mentioned before in 15 years of movies? (ok, he made a one-line joke in one of the Captain America movies, but that obviously was not meant to have real ramifications). just made no sense at all to me.

not a good show. at all. very easily my least favorite tv show to come out of Marvel Studios (i thought Moon Knight was compelling enough and didn't hate it) and the first show i have actively disliked. 

• Like 2

On 7/26/2023 at 5:25 PM, Raziel said:

Ok, one more...

Tony's snap removed Thanos' entire forces from existance...

There shouldn't be any DNA to have harvested from any of Thanos' forces at the end of that battle.  Unless we're going with the Stones just up and forgot to remove any leftover remains.

Everything you said just infuriates me more about how lazy and bad this was.

• Like 1

Ugh, not to be "that guy" but Tony's snap only eliminated the past-timeline-Thanos army, right? So if DNA was collected from the Infinity War Thanos army, it would still be valid... Right? 

Anyway this show would be my "yeah I need a break" point because it basically sucked, but my wife is super psyched for The Marvels so oh well. 

27 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Ugh, not to be "that guy" but Tony's snap only eliminated the past-timeline-Thanos army, right? So if DNA was collected from the Infinity War Thanos army, it would still be valid... Right? 

Anyway this show would be my "yeah I need a break" point because it basically sucked, but my wife is super psyched for The Marvels so oh well. 

The Harvest collected DNA from The Battle for Earth, which was in Endgame. The Battle of Wakanda, which is what you’re talking about, was the one in Infinity War.

I don’t know that it was ever mentioned that the the Cull/Groot/Frost Beast/Extremis mix was from the Harvest, so that could have been gathered anytime from Iron Man 3 to Infinity War.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

The Harvest collected DNA from The Battle for Earth, which was in Endgame. The Battle of Wakanda, which is what you’re talking about, was the one in Infinity War.

I don’t know that it was ever mentioned that the the Cull/Groot/Frost Beast/Extremis mix was from the Harvest, so that could have been gathered anytime from Iron Man 3 to Infinity War.

Right, BUT! Ghost was one of the folks listed in the DNA from The Harvest/powers used by Gi'ah, and she totally wasn't at that particular battle. So who fucking knows how fast and loose they're playing with the whole concept. 

Bad writing is the true villain. 

Edit - a quick search says that Abomination was also in the list ot Harvest DNA so now people? are saying oh yeah those two were totally at the Battle For Earth... 🙄

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Casey said:

Based on Ghost’s DNA being in the mix, Fury’s been collecting samples and just dumping all of them in the same tiny bottle, and Gravik knows about it since he was sent to collect samples from post-Battle for Earth.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Secret Invasion was a huge Marvel-wide crossover event involving all the major books, heroes, and teams. It doesn't translate for a standalone, side story involving just Nick Fury. It's not even a good story to begin with. Marvel Studios wasn't willing to do what was necessary to adapt a big story like this and take major characters off the table for Skrull replacement. Not to mention, they first introduced Skrulls as the misunderstood good guys in Captain Marvel.

Nothing between Captain Marvel and Secret Invasion lines up well. Even the things they did to show what happened in the intervening years doesn't connect the dots well.

This show epitomizes bad creative.

• Like 2