DVDVR Message Board

2023 NBA OFFSEASON

Brian Fowler

Just now, RandomAct said:

It's like Nico Harrison got Kyrie to resign, and decided he'd done enough this offseason. Seems like the Rockets have signed everyone in the league.

Taking a flyer on Dante Exum is an interesting move though.

As for the Rockets, I get they needed to spend a lot of money (new salary floor rules are that you have to be no more than 10% under the cap by start of the season, and the penalties are harsher) and I get wanting FVV to hopefully cut down on team turnovers and Brooks to help improve a defense that has been non-existent the last few years. But I don't get the length of the deals they are passing out like candy. Do you really want to still be on the hook for $20 million plus a year to Brooks when the young core starts getting extension eligible?

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Taking a flyer on Dante Exum is an interesting move though.

As for the Rockets, I get they needed to spend a lot of money (new salary floor rules are that you have to be no more than 10% under the cap by start of the season, and the penalties are harsher) and I get wanting FVV to hopefully cut down on team turnovers and Brooks to help improve a defense that has been non-existent the last few years. But I don't get the length of the deals they are passing out like candy. Do you really want to still be on the hook for $20 million plus a year to Brooks when the young core starts getting extension eligible?

Getting some vets in there was crucial for them, since I don't think Ime wants to be a rebuilding coach for long. Cavs and Pacers also seem to be gathering pieces, but are being way smarter about it honestly.

I'm fine with the Rockets moves as long as our two rookies and new free agents understand that they are here to help and we are in no way asking for them to be the "Man" here. It's Jalen Green's time to grow up and be the "Man." And Sengun to be the baby Jokic we all think he can be. I think these moves are here to complement Green and Sengun. If at any point FVV or Dillon Brooks think they are Michael Jordan or anything this season we're losing 50+ games. I wish we had a vertical lob threat. I'm not worried about KJ, Jaygup, TyTy, Garuba leaving. They weren't going to win here. If they can contribute to another team, get another contract, good for them.

I am looking forward to certain lineups, like Sengun, FVV, KPJ, Jalen and Jabari. Sengun surrounded by 4 shooters. Let Sengun cook in the post, when they double team, open 3s. Like the old Dream offense. Well, a man can dream anyway.

Well, Eric Gordon isn't getting close to the $21 million the Clippers declined to pay him, but two years and $6 million with a player option for year two from Phoenix at least keeps him in the game another year or two.

Also Miles Bridges signed the offer sheet from Charlotte. $7.9 million, will be an unrestricted free agent next year. Suspended the first ten games of the season (technically a thirty game suspension but they counted his whole year off as twenty games for some reason I don't quite understand.) Being an abusive piece of shit cost him tens of millions of dollars last season and this.

Edited by Brian Fowler

Also, reporting is the Blazers are trying everything they can to trade Dame to anyone other than the Heat.  (OR trying to get a third team involved so they get something more in return.)

Dame has apparently reiterated that Miami is where he wants to go, so that's spooking off any other team's interest.   

Last I heard, it may end up as a three team deal between Portland, Miami, and Brooklyn, where the Nets end up with Tyler Herro. 

Makes sense. There's no good reason for Portland to want Herro, they have their young backcourt and don't need to spend that much money on someone that would just take minutes from the young guys, and Miami will need to dump Herro's deal eventually (they can probably make it work for this year before the new penalties kick in next summer.)

Thing is, it feels like Brooklyn might be better off just sending what they have for Dame. He's locked up for years, is good friends with Bridges, and did name the Nets one of the teams he would be interested in playing for a few weeks ago.

Of course getting Brooklyn involved in the Dame trade means bringing up the two most dreaded words in the Association....  Ben Simmons.  

Brooklyn wants him off the team but no one is willing to take him.  So now, that's the current hold up.  

If somehow Miami ends up with him, and they make him into anything remotely passable they should just put Spo in the Hall of Fame immediately. 

It's weird how much he's regressed. Like he always had the obvious weakness of being both unable and unwilling to shoot, but just a few years ago he was arguably the best and pretty much inarguably the most versatile one on one defender in the NBA, a good passer, and absolutely lethal on the fast break. 

If James Harden is in a 76ers uniform this fall I’m thinking my once-in-a-decade attempt to get into basketball falls on its ass yet again.

Or I’ll just say “screw it” and become a Lakers fan.

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's weird how much he's regressed. Like he always had the obvious weakness of being both unable and unwilling to shoot, but just a few years ago he was arguably the best and pretty much inarguably the most versatile one on one defender in the NBA, a good passer, and absolutely lethal on the fast break. 

Just in the past decade the Sixers have had TWO highly-touted number one picks who went into sudden and inexplicable decline from which they never recovered!  And maybe you can argue that Fultz was never as good as advertised but it's still weird.

You know, Dallas's starting to look a lot more interesting. Kyrie can sink a team at any moment, of course, but if they get a full season of what he brought after the trade, plus now they're bigger, tougher, and added some badly needed shooters... 

I've been a Mavs fan for over 20 years now, and this is legit the first really good offseason I can recall the team ever having.  If we can get one of Thybulle(warts and all) or PJ Washington, plus flip some combo of Holmes, McGee or THJ for a real starting center, the I'll be absolutely over the moon.

I think Jaden Hardy is taking a big leap this year too.

All of this snowballed out of getting the 10 pick, so I can't take anyone serious who is still mad that we tanked two games.

• Like 1