DVDVR Message Board

WrestleZAYNia XXXIX - 4/1 & 4/2/2023

Dolfan in NYC

33 minutes ago, A_K said:

Roman is money. He'll drop the belts this year, but he wasn't doing it at WM. He put the company on his back and ran with it: did you really think they were going to let the AEW guy saunter in and take the mantle from him at WM? Please.

Roman has been having a top tier run but just because the company is worth 9 billion currently has nothing to do with him as Champion. That's not taking anything away from Roman. If they where going to but the title on Cody they should have done it at Mania. If they do it at Summerslam, it might be cool but it won't get the same Reaction. Back when they prolonged Roman's title win at WM 31 and That other WM match against Brock, it was done just as a last minute Swerve on Vinces part. Whatever plan they have for Roman to drop the title is most likely something they've had planned a while back. I don't know if you have any more strong believable challenger to him outside of someone in the Bloodline. Unless Big E had a miraculous recovery and they were able to build the biggest comeback story and have him go over Roman

1 hour ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

I lived through that shit cmon bro.  He's way more over and WWE is doing record business.  you gotta be trollin

Yes, I'm trolling. But if WWE doesn't want lapsed fans back like me....this is a great way to do it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Doesn’t really matter, it’s the same idea in theory. Let’s say Demolition was involved with the story, and had been from the start. Who should end a 4 year reign - a dude from a tag team who was the catalyst, or anyone else? The entire point of everyone arguing with you is that the story doesn’t. need. the. title. It possibly even works BETTER without it.

Again, that's just a hypothetical.  The reality is that they've been not even all that subtlety telling the viewers that Jey Uso is going to be fighting Roman sooner than later.  You couldn't possibly have missed this. 

1 hour ago, Andrew POE! said:

Not to be a jerk but fuck it....I hope fans at Raw tomorrow attack Roman Reigns. Don't give him a chance to speak and do his boring promos talking about how he won, etc....they should try to hurt him.

Because, eventually what the WWE is doing is going to backfire on them.

Oh and I cancelled my Peacock service after the finish to the main event.

I say this with absolute sincerity, but you need to seek help.

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Jey Uso, good wrestler, been great in this role, will never be the guy who you can trot out as the face of the company. If you are ending a 3 year title reign, and you aren't getting that in the payoff, what were you even fucking doing?

Bro,  Hogan's 4-year title reign ended on a screwjob finish with an evil twin referee to Andre The Giant who then SOLD the title to Million Dollar Man who was then stripped of the belt.. and that all led to one of the best stories they told of that era between Hogan and Macho. It was convoluted as all hell but in the end it worked out fine.  Hogan went on for another year after that. 

There's nothing that says Roman needs to drop the belt directly to his successor. 

1 minute ago, L_W_P said:

Is WWE Tag Team GOAT Jey Uso beating Roman any more/less believable than midcard tag team guys like Jungle Boy or Darby Allin potentially beating MJF?

I love a whole heap of what AEW does but they are absolutely terrible at following up the booking once they have their 'moment'. It's actually almost peak Vince WWE at this point. Like the Joker from the Dark Knight, they are a dog chasing cars. They don't know what to do when they catch one.

At least with Roman we are debating the believability of multiple legitimate options - Cody, Jey, Rollins, Gunther, Bron, Dwayne - for what is an absolutely all time run.

Man, I don't even like AEW, but describing Darby Allin as a "midcard tag team guy" is a really shitty characterization. Say what you will about Jungle Boy, but Darby has been one of there best talents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Is WWE Tag Team GOAT Jey Uso beating Roman any more/less believable than midcard tag team guys like Jungle Boy or Darby Allin potentially beating MJF?

I’d honestly say it’s the same amount of believability. In that I don’t think Jey Uso (or Sami last month) is/was going to beat Roman, much like I don’t (and didn’t) think Danielson, Darby, Jungle Boy or Sammy will beat MJF.

The only “believable” option from both companies for both champion’s recent matches was tonight, with Cody.

They really just redid the exact same finish from Clash at the Castle l o l. "omg who the---its solo !", spear and done.  Outcome whatever, but the actual finish. weak as fuck.

Cool that the reign continues but I'm no longer interested in whoever ends it whenever. Cody winning MITB and then winning at SummerSlam whatever, will not have the same effect/feeling/moment/reaction/pop/etc. That's all dead now.
As others have alluded to, the Nightmare Express has now concluded the Call to Action campaign. I don't think anyone else will ever be as believable to do it as Cody was tonight, certainly not bron breakker just losing in nxt, or anyone else.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Bro,  Hogan's 4-year title reign ended on a screwjob finish with an evil twin referee to Andre The Giant who then SOLD the title to Million Dollar Man who was then stripped of the belt.. and that all led to one of the best stories they told of that era between Hogan and Macho. It was convoluted as all hell but in the end it worked out fine.  Hogan went on for another year after that. 

There's nothing that says Roman needs to drop the belt directly to his successor. 

Okay, since this has to be explained to you.

WWF in the 80's was a babyface territory. Hell, it was a babyface territory for it's entire existence. The belts history for literally it's entire run before 1989 was babyfaces with long title reigns and then a brief run with a heel to transition to a new babyface (With the exception of Graham). Hogan losing was in an era that the WWF wasn't confident a heel champion could even draw nationally. Using that as an example that you don't need to find a successor is moronic.

If they are running this "Roman holding our major titles for literally years as a HEEL" story, the payoff has to involve making whoever finally takes the belt off him a star. The WWE has needed a top babyface since Cena left. Cody was lined up to be that, even if I personally don't care for Cody. The only justifiable reason to not have him win the belt tonight was if they think they have a good scenario to put someone else in that position in the future, and honest to god, I don't think it's going to be happening.

And, once more: YOU CAN RUN ROMAN/JEY WITHOUT THE TITLE. You keep justifying the decision as if you can only run that match and make it be a big deal if it's for the belt. 

• Like 2

stuff I jotted down during the show, I started drinking during the IC title match and my notes get sloppier

- Brock looked super happy during his entrance, he knows he's F'n made with the Endeavor deal, gonna keep getting paid to show up a few times a year

- A minute in this was already the best Omos match.  Brock looked like he slipped a disc on that first German where his feet slipped .  He was legit hurting there

- left a blank space here

- Gunther in California Uber Alles!!!  45 minutes in we finally got a real match.  This ruled.  I screamed Jesus Christ at one of Gunther's overhand chops.  I think Gunther was the crowd fave at points but Sheamus was really over too.   Glad Gunther won, he rules.

- Peacock fucked up Asuka's entrance, it was joined in progress during the Kabuki mask deal.  This match was a struggle, something came loose from Bianca's braid early, it was coming loose and it seemed to throw her off a bit.  It got going though and turned out pretty good.  I'm a big fan of both of these ladies, was a little disappointed not gonna lie

- I don't know what happened with Shane.  It looked legit.  I wrote down in all caps SNOOP RULES HE SAVED THAT SHIT thinking he reacted on the fly by punching Miz and just following directions from his earpiece to ad-lib.  But then I thought, "WHAT A WORK!!!!"  I actually think Shane worked the knee injury......I don't know, I was getting buzzed at this point

- "Brood Edge" on the tron?????  lame

- "Balor WTF"  translates as Balor WTF

- "HIAC STOPPED FOR BLOOD?!?!??!?!?!"

- so yeah, I thought the HIAC was pretty lame.  I wrote down stuff about Edge's return being snakebit, how lame Balor came off and how I hate the demon cosplay.  I don't know, I don't want to type anymore about it

- I have a feeling that Russell Crowe Priest's Exorcist movie will be a massive hit.  What a genius, seems ripe for America in 2023

- what were the Philly fans chanting when they cut to the bar after the promo for next year's Mania?

- then I wrote down some shit about feeling it was a Roman town during Cody's entrance, Roman's entrance being dope, crowd being more pro-Cody when it started etc. etc.  Brodie being there.  I actually thought they might go close to an hour.  Then they hit the first nearfall after the backdrop on the table outside kinda early, then the solo ejection, then they went into a hybrid of the typical Roman match teasing falls but dragging it out more and kinda restarting things, I really liked the pacing and layout of this match.  There was one point where they were trading shots and I heard Roman on mic say "we got em" and they did.  The Usos getting involved and Sami and Kevin evening things was well placed.  This was a pretty great WM main event IMO

Overall Night 2 dragged a lot for me and had me appreciating Night 1 more.  I was kinda scoffing at how much people liked it, but then I'm like, "well, I liked it too" and I watched night 2 and I liked 1 a lot better overall, so like, I get it now

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Jey Uso could easily be a transitional champion. He vanquishes Roman.  Gunther ends up beating Jey.  There's your new guy.   Backlund lost to The Iron Sheik who held the belt all of a month maybe..  before Hogan wrecked him.  Wonderful. 

Then you would have succeeded in paying of your 3 year storyline by not making anybody a big star, and just a footnote in history everyone will have forgotten about 18 months later. You would have stalled the growth of everyone else in the company for almost half a decade for no payoff. 

• Thanks 1

As for the show.. Rhea/Charlotte was my favorite from Saturday and Gunther's chest chop dance party was my favorite from Sunday. I think Rhea/Charlotte was the best match of the two nights.

Considering the impending buyers for the WWE, if they can find a 7 foot tall Dagestani, just imagine how much fun a 5 minute match between Brock Lesnar and Dagestani Omos would be.

(Are they called Dagestanis?)

• Like 2

now the real plan, they brought back Roman's next challenger tonight. One of the last 3 men to pin Roman one on one 4 years ago. Heyman alluded to it in earlier promo calling Roman "The Money"...... well then, "Here Comes The Money!!!!!" 

I lost my shit Shane O Mac is BACK, now we can build to SummerSlam (in Detroit, where he made the legendary return in 2016). Next month there's another tournament in Saudi Arabia and we all remember the 2018 World Cup!

And then 2 minutes later, he was broken and my excitement died that quick forever.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Saying Jey Uso has "no shot" but The Rock does... what?   What in the world.  Dwayne is not ending this run.  

The same company that had a geriatric Bill Goldberg who hadn't wrestled in over a decade win the world title in a squash match would 100% put the title on The Rock for a month or two if he agreed to come back for it. That isn't a matter of the fans thinking Rock has a shot or it making any kind of logical sense, it's something the company would do for what they view as potential ratings. I think it would be a dumb idea and probably a lousy match, but it's totally something the WWE would do.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I like Darby, sure, but outside of a cup of coffee run with the TNT title he's been in a midcard tag team with Sting and not much more.

….my guy, he’s teamed up with Sting like 13 times since May 2021.

Read that a few times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As for the rest of the stuff. Bianca/Asuka was my favorite match overall. The crowd was a little spent at first but after Bianca hit the super power superplex, things were on FIRE from then on. Absolutely loved that finishing sequence. Big fan of both so good either way but love to see Bianca hit the full year mark of an epic reign.  IC title match was great.

HIAC felt like once they saw blood, they started rushing through spots to get to the finish. Solid enough but where the fuck was GANGREL? thought that was the whole point of this being "BROOD EDGE". Disappointing. 

but yeah the ending just kinda kills my interest in whatever happens next, the moment will never be the same.

• Like 1

Somehow Snoop Dogg has a reasonably passable elbow drop and of all the classic finishers, that's pretty much the one where someone could do it without being a trained wrestler. Just drop your elbow into the Miz's hands and there's enough ambiguity that it looks good.

Snoop did a better elbow drop than End Times Andre the Giant, but Andre was superfucked and he wasn't about to do the bump necessary to do a good elbow drop.

Snoop ran the ropes as well as some random goober doing a job on TV for beer money. But if you gotta improvise, it could have gone worse.

27 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Okay, since this has to be explained to you.

WWF in the 80's was a babyface territory.

It hasn't been for a very long time.  Since you want to explain things,  Roman is the face of the company whether he's babyface or heel.  

And for the record,  K.O.,  Sami Zayn,  The Usos,  Roman and Cody are all way more over now than they were a year ago.  All of them.  Roman has been champion this whole time and yet I just named 6 guys who are all more over just from this whole saga alone. So you can miss me with the "nobody is being made"  stuff. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 2

BTW, I’d love to see someone explain the bullshit of Cody hitting two straight finishers on Roman only to have Roman pop back up and hit the spear after Cody got spiked tearing Cody’s finisher like shit. 

I honestly only have myself to blame for getting invested again and thinking that after the ending to night one that the storybook ending would be completed on night 2.

But hey, at least Sanada is being treated like the real deal, Okada is in full dick mode, and maybe, just maybe, Sanada will beat Okada. And if he doesn’t, then that’s cool too because dickhead Okada rocks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It hasn't been for a very long time.  Since you want to explain things,  Roman is the face of the company whether he's babyface or heel.  

Ha, deleting most of the post, and ignoring the counter point. I'll ask point blank: Why can't Jey/Roman be a non title match and you make *gasp* a SECOND big star on this show? Until you answer that, you are basically just saying "I don't actually have a counter point" in big bold letters without typing them.

• Like 1