DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

I sat next to Douglas at the Mid South fan fest years ago and he was pleasant enough that day, said as someone who was not a fan of his ECW work. I got to tell him how Austin had been putting over the Blondes feud w him and Steamboat on his podcast, which he seemed pleased about hearing. 

On 10/11/2023 at 3:38 AM, TheVileOne said:

Co-signed on this. I've also been enjoying Shane Douglas' chats. He seems dialed in on all his topics and he never sounds like he's being negative for the sake of negativity. Nash's podcast comparatively is a trainwreck and I can barely listen to like two minutes of it.

On 10/11/2023 at 3:46 AM, Cobra Commander said:

Has Nash’s podcast been a train wreck all along or did it get worse with his son dying?

For me, it was realizing that Nash is always the smartest guy in the room and that it's really not worth listening to an hour or so for two nuggets of genuinely interesting stuff.  Worse than that was how Sean Oliver skeeves me the fuck out.  He has this Howard Stern hanger-on vibe, like Sal the Stockbroker.  He tries too hard to be "one of the boys" and says cringeworthy shit like asking Nash about "banging rats," and comes off as such a wannabe.

Edited by Technico Support

I largely agree with the above with the caveat of Sean not really pushing back on anything really has created issues of listenability of the podcast. Hence, why I don't really listen to it anymore. People talk about this place being an echo chamber, but goddamn is it just Nash and Sean just talking about nothing and then agreeing on anything about nothing. The first handful of months was good, but once you get through that, you've heard everything.

• Like 2

Jericho had a really good interview with Gabbi Tuft aka Tyler Reks. Really insightful stuff from Gabi as she talked about transitioning from male to female, her time in WWE, etc. She was overall very positive about her time in WWE but she did say something that about how WWE hasn't let her backstage at a couple of events after she transitioned when she thought she'd be able to. She had everything set up to go backstage and say hi to people and then it got nixed at the last second. She theorized that some people there were uncomfortable with her but didn't name any names. In any case, interview was worth checking out and I thought Jericho did a great job with the interview. Asked some good questions in a very respectful manner and I found it educational.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I watched Rene Dupree's Cafe de Rene podcast stream last night. I enjoyed Rene and Jason Sensation make fun of Tony Khan. Considering how much I'm annoyed by people on Twitter making fun and criticizing him for his tweets over the last few days. I actually don't have an issue with any of his tweets. Even though most of us can a agree that Vince or even Hunter or Shawn would even sell that they where phased by the competition. I think most of us aren't used to figures so high up in food chain be so outwardly Vulnerable to the public. Even today, it's really not the business to show vulnerability if your the head of a major wrestling company because the fans will drag you. I don't have a problem with him calling out WWE for contract tampering. Tweeting about it isn't going to help his case and calling them out on it isn't making people feel sorry for him, even AEW diehards. Alot of people are talking about AEW needing to change their marketing strategy. I don't think there's anything wrong with he being the Carnival barker for his company on social media. I actually liked him hyping up everyone for Dynamite. It didn't look so well when he fell flat on his face in the ratings but I  like that he was confident in what he was presenting and stayed true to what AEW was while WWE pulled out all the stops as far as star power, even those that have never been associated with NXT. I watch alot more WWE than AEW so I'm not even being an AEW sympathizer. Even AEW diehards were laughing at his response about feeling threatened for his safety with the CM Punk incident. He's a guy born into billions. How could you possibly expect him to even be in many physical confrontations in his life. Maybe he seen incidents between football players or soccer players and maybe wrestlers but how many he's actually be an upclose witness to the point where he was in danger.  

On 10/12/2023 at 6:09 PM, cwoy2j said:

Jericho had a really good interview with Gabbi Tuft aka Tyler Reks. Really insightful stuff from Gabi as she talked about transitioning from male to female, her time in WWE, etc. She was overall very positive about her time in WWE but she did say something that about how WWE hasn't let her backstage at a couple of events after she transitioned when she thought she'd be able to. She had everything set up to go backstage and say hi to people and then it got nixed at the last second. She theorized that some people there were uncomfortable with her but didn't name any names. In any case, interview was worth checking out and I thought Jericho did a great job with the interview. Asked some good questions in a very respectful manner and I found it educational.

I haven't listened to that yet since I generally don't hear his pod anymore.  But I did check a couple years ago the one with Nyla and that was very educational as well with Chris also being respectful there.  If I were to guess it was I think somewhere in late 2019/early 2020 but it's worth checking out.

23 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

after my last post, I realized "hey, WCW had the Honky Tonk Man in the fed at the same time as Colonel Robert Parker and they didn't have HTM paired with their Tom Parker knockoff before HTM got himself fired"

Well Jimmy Hart didn't turn heel until the next year, and that was probably a better fit since they had already did that bit together.

That would probably be a better use of what he actually did. I wouldn't have much of a problem with the Hogan Brigade had they not come in and immediately screwed up the mid card title scene. They were getting use out of the US and TV titles. To relegate it to fodder for Jim Duggan and Honkytonk Man didn't make much sense. Thankfully, HTM wasn't around long enough to win anything.

17 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

i'm just gonna imagine "Dungeon of Doom" Honky Tonk Man where Sullivan makes HTM believe he's actually Elvis until Wayne tells them all to fuck off and leaves

I imagine DOD HTM as him going full on disheveled Fat Elvis and doing karate in an ill-fitting jumpsuit/gi and now I'm sad we never got that.

https://chumley.barstoolsports.com/union/giphy/2022/07/04/5352afe5.gif?crop=4%3A3

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I was thinking Zombie-Inspired Elvis. Would also tie into Wayne's lack of bumping. 

You think Karate Elvis was taking any bumps in the 70s? Well outside of key bumps if you know what I mean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I imagine DOD HTM as him going full on disheveled Fat Elvis and doing karate in an ill-fitting jumpsuit/gi and now I'm sad we never got that.

https://chumley.barstoolsports.com/union/giphy/2022/07/04/5352afe5.gif?crop=4%3A3

Aw yes, Honky Tonk Man doing the Superstar Graham martial arts gimmick

There is an alternate timeline where Karate zombie Elvis impersonator HTM dry humps Hogan at Halloween Havoc 1995.

Then Joe Louis Arena collapses within itself from all the chaos from the Rapture and WCW is no more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Sounds better than the scenarios where Disco Inferno goes to the WWF to be the Honky Tonk Man’s protege

Disco Inferno will be showing up as HTM's protege around the same time Yoko debuts as the newest member of the Hart Foundation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...