DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2022

odessasteps

4 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Holy shit, what a finish in League Two.

Northampton began the day in the final promotion spot, won 3-1, fairly comfortably, and still were forced down a spot into the playoffs as Joey Barton's Bristol Rovers crushed Scunthorpe 7-0 to pip Northampton to the final auto promotion spot on Goals Scored. The seventh goal caused a pitch invasion by fans that almost cost them the game.

The Gas stepped on Scunthorpe (Who I always pull for because their name gets censored on lots of filters).

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Used to be called Firewall FC on the football weekly podcast. 

We also would've accepted SeeYouNextTuesdaythorpe.

Anyone else marvel at the complete and utter coincidence of a club needing exactly seven goals to clinch promotion at the expense of an already relegated team... and getting it?

• Haha 1

Klopp should have rested both full backs then LFC may have won. Tottenham aren't a spectacular football team, but you can't give Son & Kulu opportunity to run against tired legs. TAA looked like he could barely stand come final whistle.

Man Utd fans really thought they were getting Haaland. After the way they treated his Dad and everything. He was never going there. NEVER.

FScmDv_XIAAehL7?format=jpg&name=small

E1F4rxNWUAEf2j5?format=jpg&name=small

Today's the 37th Anniversary of the fire disaster at Bradford City's Valley Parade. A tragedy for the 56 who died, the injured and all those affected by it. For those reasons we always remember to this day xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

KDB, good at football. 

Makes me again ask why in European leagues, they give out the POY/MVP like a month before the season ends. 

Also 

Get your Wire jokes ready. You can start with Clay Davis' reaction to this match. 

Edited by odessasteps

23 hours ago, The Natural said:

FScmDv_XIAAehL7?format=jpg&name=small

E1F4rxNWUAEf2j5?format=jpg&name=small

Today's the 37th Anniversary of the fire disaster at Bradford City's Valley Parade. A tragedy for the 56 who died, the injured and all those affected by it. For those reasons we always remember to this day xxx.

I really need to find the book referenced in this video because I only have a vague understanding of the incident and would like to find out the details of not just the incident but aftermath (assuming people were charged with criminal negligence as it's pretty clear people within the club knew it was unsafe?). Also have no idea how something like this couldn't convince the football authorities that the iron barriers were a horrible idea as the lack of them here prevented the tragedy from being multiple times worse (and as everyone knows they ended up a primary contributor to the horrific carnage at Hillsborough a few short years later).

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 5:23 AM, sabremike said:

I really need to find the book referenced in this video because I only have a vague understanding of the incident and would like to find out the details of not just the incident but aftermath (assuming people were charged with criminal negligence as it's pretty clear people within the club knew it was unsafe?). Also have no idea how something like this couldn't convince the football authorities that the iron barriers were a horrible idea as the lack of them here prevented the tragedy from being multiple times worse (and as everyone knows they ended up a primary contributor to the horrific carnage at Hillsborough a few short years later).

It's eerie going to a football stadium knowing that people died in said arena. It hits you. I do think the Valley Parade Fire Disaster doesn't get the nationwide coverage, you hardly see it on the anniversaries. Feels forgotten at times. There should be a mandatory minutes silence across all games nearest to or just after the date itself. I wouldn't recommend anyone seeking the graphic footage with John Helm's narration as it happened, it's chilling especially seeing the man alight.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Luton 1-1 Huddersfield Town

Sheffield U 1-2 Nottingham Forest

Both ties hang in the balance after the first leg. Forest will be kicking themselves as they could've put the second leg way out of reach a handful of times before the Blades' injury time goal to keep things closer than they had any right to be.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Liverpool 0-0 Chelsea coming up to half-time. Biggest development is Mo Salah sitting down and going off injured.

O-0, Liverpool win 6-5 on penalties. The quadruple is still on! Jurgen Klopp's won all the trophies now.

Edited by The Natural