DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 10/29/2021

20 minutes ago, Gordberg said:

We are, like, eleven hours away from Bryan Danielson vs Eddie Kingston!!

Life is good.

Also Sydal vs Dante III, and DMD vs Abadon in a no DQ match.

Bryan Danielson vs Minoru Suzuki, and then Bryan Danielson vs Eddie f'n Kingston. 

Not long to go for Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston. When Danielson joined AEW, that was a match I wanted to see with Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega and Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. Cool getting them so quickly. Rest of the show looks good as well.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

I went back and watched the previous singles Kingston vs Danielson match we have, which was Danielson's first match back on the indies after the Nexus tie incident. What was striking to me was how similarly he was wrestling there as he wrestles now. I think a lot of us were thinking that Danielson had been watching a lot of tape and would hit AEW having learned from Bockwinkel or Lawler or Blue Panther or Fujiwara or whoever and that hasn't been the case at all. He's been aggressive, forward driving, dynamic, exhausting. The person I've been likening him to is Hansen. He was very, very similar in this match in a similar scenario where he must have felt stifled in the WWE developmental/NXT season 1 structure and just wanted to go as hard and as fierce and as tough as he could and he'd drag his opponent behind. Here, the opponent was an Eddie Kingston who was tough as nails but maybe not in the best shape of his career. And Danielson ate him alive. He beat him all around the ring with strikes and stretches. Kingston would catch him with hope spots, generally suplex variations, but would get cut off really quickly. I think he garnered some sympathy and maybe the two of them together turned a crowd that was extremely pro-Danielson to at least 50-50, but I'm not sure that was the intent. Danielson had, in Kingston, a guy that maybe couldn't keep up with him and with the spots that he would have loved to do, but would gladly take everything Danielson wanted to throw at him, a perfect canvas for perfect violence. So I'm not sure it was as good as a match as it could have been if they had worked somehow more collaboratively (and being so good to make it not seem like they were working that way), but Danielson was a coiled spring that needed release.

Now, ten+ years later, and with such wildly different decade-long journeys for both of them, they'll be back at it once again. Danielson has been a rocket over the last two months, a wrestling and striking machine turned up to 11. I'm curious if he's going to drag Kingston along behind him in a way that wasn't nearly as possible in 2010 or if Kingston is going to stand his ground and be a brick wall for the rocket to crash into.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, Gordberg said:

Bryan Danielson vs Minoru Suzuki, and then Bryan Danielson vs Eddie f'n Kingston. 

This happened too with the Omega match but it's so weird seeing stuff like this typed out.  Earlier this year he was in WWE and as far as I was concerned he was gonna be a lifer there.  I never in a million years thought he'd not only sign to AEW but have these matches so quickly.  If there's ever a guy that's living his best life it's Danielson (Punk is a close second for different reasons)  I'm gonna be out tonight but I can't wait to watch this first chance I get.

As for how it'll play out I haven't seen the match Matt talked about but I do think Eddie will show more of himself this time around.  I also can see them get into an epic chop battle with some kicks thrown in for good measure so that'll be grand.

• Like 6

HOLY CRAP!  Kingston/Danielson was COMPLETELY MANLY!  Dante Martin/Matt Sydell was really good.  Abadon/Britt Baker was fucking crazy.  Greatest hour of wrestling.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

DanielBryan.jpg

R.96712f2e1cde61485c278e3ba3ee3ec1?rik=R

Wouldn't surprise me if Bryan Danielson's chest turns into Greatest Royal Rumble 2018 (the only time Daniel Bryan went to Blood Money) with how Eddie Kingston chops.

You called it, buddy!

Hot damn, what a match!

Bryan v Kenny, v Dustin, v MiSu, and now v Kingston... somehow ALL living up to very high expectations. And v Nick, v Fish were not exactly chopped liver, either. 

Exactly what I wanted out of a Dragon AEW run. More than I'd hoped for, really. Loving this so much!

Also loved how we got three straight matches of maximalist fun, but each was totally different from the other. Four in a row if we count the Dynamite main event.

Mark Henry's reactions were maybe the highlight of the show for me, which is really saying something.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Holy shit, Kingston vs Danielson was incredible. People are going to talk about those chops, but there was so many violent little "uncooperative" moments in that match. I don't care about all the other silly shit this company does, they can make Slimer the AEW champion for all I care so long was we keep getting these Danielson dream matches. Dante/Sydal was also really fun Nitro style spotfest and Baker/Abadon was an entertaining spectacle. Tremendous hour of wrestling.

• Like 10

Did... did... did Abadon have thumbtacks lodged in her gums?!

Also, Danielson and Kingston just doing gang shit. There's something about two men just giving each other a stiff, good ole fashioned ass whooping that cleanses the soul. Love how much of a threat Danielson made Kingston look like too.

• Like 8

Great hour of wrestling. 

DB vs. Eddie was so so so so good. I had only one problem with it, and that is Eddie giving the finger in defiance to DB before he succumbs. That would have had so much more an impact if people giving each other the finger wasn’t pretty common in AEW and used for something like the Inner Circle vs. America’s Too Team feud. Eddie giving the finger fits his persona so much. It would have had a lot more weight if the last person. To give the finger was Chuck Taylor’s mom in the mini-van. Obviously that does not take away from the match, but that is just one of the little things that bothers me about AEW and why less is more.

That cruiser match was great. Dante Martin is superb. My guy LBO Lio has him headed in the right direction and Dante needs to appreciate the hard work the master KD global finance is doing for him.

Awesome garbage match to end the show. Britt Baker rules. That segment with her minions as zombies was great, especially with the claw DMD. I have never seen Abadon before - fun character and perfect for this sort of match. The end with Britt not wanting to do the Lockjaw was great.

• Like 6

Looking like CM Punk vs. Eddie Kingston for Full Gear. Yes, please. Loaded with Kenny Omega vs. Adam Page, Lucha Brothers vs. #FTR, Dr. Britt Baker/Tay Conti and the AEW World Championship Eliminator Tournament Final. Potentially PAC vs. Andrade III as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Did... did... did Abadon have thumbtacks lodged in her gums?!

Naw, she just has a bunch of piercings. Speaking of her, there was a lot of Abadon ass in this match... which I am not complaining about. Plus she had the hilarious Divine hairdo, in case you didn't know what she apparently decided to do Halloween as. Really marked out for the hand biting, too. 

One of my favorite parts of King/Dragon was King punching Dragon right in the face out of the dive, which I'm sure they decided to steal from Fujinami vs. Tenryu. And in the Discord our boy Lamp brought up that Danielson is doing all these BattlARTS finishes which Natural's list helps to verify. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The only thing with Punk/King is that King needs to WIN. FINALLY. SOMEbody of stature has to get pinned by him, he just can't be the eternal loser. 

I think because Eddie Kingston is so over and can talk as well as he does, it doesn't damage him as it would others. Be nice to see Mad King win a big one as you say, he tends to lose them: vs. Jon Moxley, Young Bucks w/ Mox, Miro and now Bryan Danielson.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1