DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 10/29/2021

26 minutes ago, (BP) said:

As someone who’s hosting a children’s birthday party today, I’m relieved those tables can withstand at least 130 pounds crashing onto them. 

Welcome to the party, pal! Had to throw that reference in.

I thought it was an imported Japanese Strong Style table. 

I know, I want to see Eddie win more too, but, the thing is, at least in terms of storytelling, Eddie Kingston is a loser. He came into AEW a loser down on his luck looking for one last shot and lost. And now he's up against the likes of Jon Moxley, Bryan Danielson and CM Punk. People who came up on the same lowly stages as Kingston did nearly 20 years ago. They all wrestled against and with each other in bingo halls in the 2000s and then Punk, Danielson and Moxley made it to the big stages and became megastars - and Eddie did not. And maybe Eddie will soon erupt and go berzerk and one of them because they are, at least for Eddie, arrogant pieces of shit who just had the luck Eddie did not. Eddie felt abandonded by Moxley, even though they since got on better terms, Danielson said Eddie just didn't work hard enough and I'm pretty sure Punk will continue this theme.

• Like 3

I can totally see them having Moxley over Bryan at the PPV, with the cumulative damage of Dragon's run so far catching up to him. Moxley has been steam-rolling guys recently, ran through 10, will almost certainly run through OC or at the least come out unscathed (OC could try to out-wrestle him and get a sneaky roll-up but he's not going to do much damage) while every match Danielson has had has been a war. Feels like a smart way to give him his first loss while still protecting him.

Heel Mox makes more sense to win the tournament and become the first challenger for top babyface Hangman.

I don't think they'll do this, but I would kind of enjoy if they had Bryan win it, solely to give everyone panic attacks during the show that Hangman might actually not beat Kenny.

It seems to frustrate some people, but I continue to be impressed with how AEW protects Abadon by basically giving her one spotlight TV match per quarter and then hiding her growing pains on Dark the rest of the time. She’s still miles away from being good enough in the ring to be a regular featured player, but if you’re smart, you can use her in fun ways like this, ever so often.

But this match was all about how selfless #1 on the women’s call sheet was willing to be to put her over and make an entertaining match. It was laid out for Britt to take all the big bumps, to let Abadon no-sell some of her signature stuff, and just generally show all kinds of ass for the Spooky Shit. If you actually looked closely at what was going on in the match, it was 100% the Britt Show, but everybody left talking about Abadon. A real testament to how good Britt can be.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

The other upside on the Britt match is that it gives them a bunch of moments to use in highlight packages and what not. A few flashes of video that will mean something in two years even if we don't remember the match well now. They can call back "Hey, remember when Britt put the thumbtacks in Abadon's mouth?"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Abadon disappearing from her interview and Baker's crew freaking out was a great bit of business.  Everybody's a gangster until the zombie's on the loose.

I was fully expecting Abadon to pop back in on her side of the split-screen with her face right in the camera as a jump scare.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

It seems to frustrate some people, but I continue to be impressed with how AEW protects Abadon by basically giving her one spotlight TV match per quarter and then hiding her growing pains on Dark the rest of the time. She’s still miles away from being good enough in the ring to be a regular featured player, but if you’re smart, you can use her in fun ways like this, ever so often.

But this match was all about how selfless #1 on the women’s call sheet was willing to be to put her over and make an entertaining match. It was laid out for Britt to take all the big bumps, to let Abadon no-sell some of her signature stuff, and just generally show all kinds of ass for the Spooky Shit. If you actually looked closely at what was going on in the match, it was 100% the Britt Show, but everybody left talking about Abadon. A real testament to how good Britt can be.

Britt absolutely elevated her opponent last night, which is a sign of a good worker. Britt's face when she went for her finisher was priceless - it really put the Abadon character over huge. 

We had two matches where the loser (Kingston and Abadon) came out hotter. Now that's the way a well booked set of matches should work.

• Like 10

Honestly, if Punk beats Kingston, I think the best thing for Kingston is to just completely snap. Interrupt at least one match on Dark/Dark Elevation a week by walking in, obliterating everyone, then leaving. Maybe even once or twice on Dynamite/Rampage, just to get over the ticking timebomb. No music, no big speeches, just in the middle of a match, boom, he shows up, kicks everyones ass, and leaves without looking back. It would bring a bit of tension to some of the undercard/training style matches on Dark/Elevation, as we keep looking.. "Is this where Kingston's going to destroy everything?" Have him go on a rampage (pun intended) through everyone, then finally one of the big names tells him "Look, you want a challenge? You want a chance to step up? Well, stop beating up folks who are in matches already and take me on!" And then Kingston actually wins one. 

edit: And to respond to the folks who think Abbadon should have gone over, I understand that, but one good thing about AEW is they don't overdo the mystical shit. I mean, Abby done no-sell'd a freaking curbstomp chair that would expect to put someone out for months not so long ago. (I should be ashamed for the Abby-Done pun. I'm not, but I should) It means that Britt would have to face her AGAIN, and if a curbstomp chair couldn't get it done, what could? (especially with regular DQ rules back in place). I mean, the next step would be what? A double barreled shotgun? A Chainsaw? A greatest hits CD of Wayne Newton to put her asleep?

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Abadon disappearing from her interview and Baker's crew freaking out was a great bit of business.  Everybody's a gangster until the zombie's on the loose.

Except Mark Henry who was like "well that was odd anyway".  I guess when you are that big zombie dont mess with you 

Edited by hammerva
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Except Mark Henry who was like "well that was odd anyway".  I guess when you are that big zombie dont mess with you 

Mark Henry admits openly on the radio that he can't sit through a horror movie. That segment felt like Mark didn't have a monitor, or Abbadon's stuff was pre-taped.

It's pretty funny, and even moreso that they did it here, so he wouldn't have any reaction to Abadon vomiting blood. She looked really good in defeat btw, though I was disappointed in her losing. What can you do. ?‍♂️

@Matt D you nailed the differences between Danielson and Punk btw. I just want to see Kingston cling on to one of them like a tick and beat them down until he wins. 

Great episode, one of the best Rampages thus far. All 3 matches got a good amount of time this week with no squashes. Bryan/Kingston delivered big time. Dante/Sydal was good stuff again. Abadon looks so awesome, definitely made me wish she got to do more. The match itself was excellent and made me wonder how epic it would've come off if there was more of a build up to it. Very memorable big spots, loved it. I did wanna see Abadon pull off the win after the tacks spot but ending was ok. 

• Like 2

What I love about each of the AEW Danielson matches I’ve seen so far (especially this Kingston one) is how ever move, strike, and motion feels earned through struggle. You get exhausted watching the fight of trying to get the upper hand in a grapple. The top turnbuckle exchange was beautiful back and forth that I had no idea who was going to slam who. 

I’m so happy we have this AEW roster. Hopefully everyone is still there for the time the video game comes out. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Great episode, one of the best Rampages thus far. All 3 matches got a good amount of time this week with no squashes. Bryan/Kingston delivered big time. Dante/Sydal was good stuff again. Abadon looks so awesome, definitely made me wish she got to do more. The match itself was excellent and made me wonder how epic it would've come off if there was more of a build up to it. Very memorable big spots, loved it. I did wanna see Abadon pull off the win after the tacks spot but ending was ok. 

Yeah, I'd be hard pressed to remember a better flowing Rampage.  On top of the great action, it also felt more live than usual.  They're making some small somewhat unnoticeable alterations (eg. better sound mix between commentary and crowd) that are helping.  The post match impromptu angle with Kingston and Punk also made for a more 'live and happening' feel to the show. 

12 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I love the fact that (as an interviewer at least) they let Mark Henry be what he's really good at: being a good 'ole Texas boy. He frequently gets a pop from my household from his comments/reactions.

I love Mark's generous smile.  He's got charm in spades to mask any rookie shortcomings.  And I feel the intended surge (and amusement) of 'it's time for the main event' every time.  This satellite style interview set-up in general is awesome (in a classic SNME way), and something at some point that they may want to expand upon. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 5

From the Observer interview, here’s how Mox hyped up Kingston:

We walked to fucking gorilla, you know, like, Bryan walks out and I just fucking grab Eddie by the shoulders and said, I said ‘Look at this stupid Whole Foods shoppin’ vegan motherfucker. Beat his fucking ass!

“Eddie’s like, I could see it in Eddie’s eyes like, it was real, like he’s gonna fucking kill him. I was like, ‘Oh fuck yeah, this is so good, oh God, I can’t wait to watch this shit!’”

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, hammerva said:

Part of it may be that even the zombies realize what the implications of a zombie Mark Henry would mean for everybody, including them, and thusly are like "yeah, fuck that noise!"

• Haha 3