DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 10/29/2021

On 10/30/2021 at 9:04 AM, The Natural said:

Here's to Log seeing Danielson vs. Kingston ASAP. I won't tag him so he isn't spoiled.

I watched last night (Saturday). I snuck away and watched on my phone in bed. I had my airpods, so I got the full aural experience with the striking. 

Great, great match! Totally lived up to my expectations. 

Also, is @The Naturalthe most thoughtful dude, or what!?!?

Edited by Log
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
7 minutes ago, Log said:

I watched last night (Saturday). I snuck away and watched on my phone in bed. I had my airpods, so I got the full aural experience with the striking. 

I agree, they can't be accused of phoning it in *Fargo strut*

1 hour ago, Log said:

Also, is @The Naturalthe most thoughtful dude, or what!?!?

Glad you enjoyed Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston, @Log. Thank you for your kind words. Appreciated.

• Like 3

Kingston is so great on the mic, in backstage segments, and in the ring that I'm not concerned with wins/losses as much as I'm always wondering "What's Next?".

To me, Punk should get the W. Him being undefeated is a great way for him to eventually get involved in the title picture. And then, when he loses whatever number one contender's match or even a World Title match against Hangman Page, we can get the CM Punk heel turn that we all secretly or openly want.

I'm not sure where that leaves Kingston, but because he's so damn good, they could continue with him being pissed off and angry and maybe make him the guy that goes after Malakai Black next. Kingston is, to me, a babyface no matter who you put him up against but is somehow magically equally interesting and engaging when he faces other babyfaces (like Danielson or Punk). 

And I hate to say it but, from a business perspective, its much more important to keep CM Punk strong than Eddie Kingston. CM Punk and Danielson don't need to be undefeated forever, but Eddie Kingston isn't the guy to beat them (and I'm about as big a Kingston fan as anyone these days). There's an alternate timeline where Moxley takes time off for paternity and Punk and Danielson and Cole don't sign where I think Kingston should've beat Omega in NYC for the title (and then dropped it back on a live Dynamite or Rampage a month later), but that timeline is based on all the other big babyface stars not being in this company and where Cole/Omega isn't lined up as a future major angle. 

Also, just to beat a dead horse, Kingston is the perfect guy to pull Black, Andrade, and PAC into the actual AEW mix. Is it just me or do they all seem, like Cody, to not really be in the mix despite appearing fairly regularly? Like Dante Martin seems like he's more "in the mix" than Andrade is. 

Late to the party but that was an incredible episode of Rampage.  All three matches delivered and then some.  I would also say that with all due respect to Omega Danielson might as well be forever called the Best Bout Machine.  Every singles match had meaning to it and everybody he went against came out of it better after the match (save for Suzuki who is already The King but he looked tremendous anyway)  I'd love to expand on this further at some point but he truly is the GOAT.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

On 10/30/2021 at 8:49 PM, The Green Meanie said:

I love the fact that (as an interviewer at least) they let Mark Henry be what he's really good at: being a good 'ole Texas boy. He frequently gets a pop from my household from his comments/reactions.

Yeah, he's a country boy from deep Southeast Texas.

I saw him at the Austin airport once, didn't go up to him because he was with his family but I really had no sense of just how massive he is until seeing him that close.

This was the best hour of professional wrestling I have watched in a long time. It's all pretty much been said but there were some full on "holy shit" mark out moments across the show. Also, the announcers really did a good job, and Taz in particular added a lot more than he usually does.

The striking and stiffness of Kingston-Danielson, especially that out of nowhere spinning backfist, and then the build to the end. I also love that more wrestlers aren't hitting the tanning beds/spray tans so that we can get visuals like Bryan's chest.

Dante-Sydal was new to me, and was a nice lucha spot-fest. Both guys were excellent but Dante really just does things I've never seen before, and is so fluid. His vertical is NBA level, and at times he really does appear to be floating. The main thing I want to see him improve on his striking (I know that lucha is usually very loosey-goosey on punching but this is 2021 AEW).

Similar to the comedy 8-man on Dynamite, the main event was a perfect Halloween season match. Those table spots were brutal, someone forgot to gimmick that one. Didn't see how Abadon sliced her hand open but it was wild when you realized that wasn't her fake blood all over the place. Baker taking that body slam onto the thumbtacks was gnarly, she had a few sticking in her back the rest of the match and for a while I thought some were sticking in her legs too. The bit with her being scared to put the lockjaw onto the crazy "thinks she's a zombie" wrestler and then being justified in her hesitance was nice.

• Like 3

On 10/31/2021 at 10:28 AM, Shartnado said:

Part of it may be that even the zombies realize what the implications of a zombie Mark Henry would mean for everybody, including them, and thusly are like "yeah, fuck that noise!"

"EVER'BODY DON GONNA HAVE TO PAY THEIR BRAAINSAIR BILL!"

(Edit: I am DISGUSTED with myself that I didn't add "Mark Henry will be inducting everyone into the Hall of BRAINS~!" to it. Better late then never.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm pretty sure this was my last favorite Bryan Danielson match in AEW, and that's not saying I didn't love it. I don't watch enough wrestling to confidently say that he's the best wrestler in the world, but he's consistently the best wrestler I've watched in over a decade. He's doing everything at such a high level it is kind of crazy. His matwork is phenomenal,  he has some really awesome high spots,  his strikes are brutally stiff,  and his selling is top notch. Not only that,  he so giving it a wrestler that even his match against the dude on Dark made his opponent look like a legit threat. 

Speaking of giving wrestler's,  Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D. gave Abadon so much in that match that I actually thought she had a chance to win. Honestly,  this is my first Abadon match,  so I didn't know what to expect,  but i love the match mostly because Baker went all out to make her look great. What other champion is taking thumbtack bumps to get over a worker who rarely makes TV on a B-show? She carries this division with character and personality,  but if she's willing to put her body on the line to put over the rest of the division she can keep that belt forever as far as I'm concerned. 

Dante Martin is the future. That's all I can really say about him... wait no it's not. The thing that I find special about Martin isn't even the crazy high spots,  it's that he actually let's each move breathe enough to mean something. Most guys his age,  especially the super athletic high flying guys, is that it is just spot, spot, spot, without anything ring it together. He's seemingly past that stage already,  which is kind of amazing at his age and experience. Some people never actually get there.  

• Like 2

This was about the perfect wrestling show.

I kinda wish we never see Bryan doing headbutt spots again. I have no problem with Eddie losing because he's got the golden tounge and sure enough one backstage segment and he's got his heat back,

That table is All Elite 

• Like 3