DVDVR Message Board

LOKI (Disney+ Series)

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

That ruled. I don’t know what it is, but there’s something about this series I love so much. I’m not sure if it’s all of time stuff that I’m a nerd for, the aesthetic of everything, the acting, the music, or what.

Everything about it manages to come together so damn well nearly every episode. First one back was so much fun.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I read this eel they were already planning on S2 halfway thru season z1. 

That makes sense given how things started off more or less from the end of S1.

I don’t know if this is intentional as part of what “time-slipping” will turn out to be, if it’s connected to the TVA,  or just a continuity error, but it’s an interesting 1st for MCU time shenanigans that people who travel to the past are able to change their timeline’s future instead of it just creating a new variant branch.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

I don’t know if this is intentional as part of what “time-slipping” will turn out to be, if it’s connected to the TVA,  or just a continuity error, but it’s an interesting 1st for MCU time shenanigans that people who travel to the past are able to change their timeline’s future instead of it just creating a new variant branch.

I thought about that too and for now I’m just chalking it up to them being in the TVA and Mobius and Obie both saying that there’s no “time” in the TVA, meaning there’s no branching paths or variants for the TVA so everything is sort of static.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on Loki so far? 

It seems like it’s being set up for Loki and Sylvie’s arrogance in believing their way(s) is the best ends up leading to either He Who Remains returning or the Multiversal War.  Sylvie arrogantly tried to punish Renslayer without realizing she has not just a temp pad, but Miss Minutes. On the other hand, it feels like Loki is making an obvious mistake in bringing Timely to the TVA, especially since he said the only thing he’s missing from achieving his visions is sufficient technology.

I'm digging the show a good deal. Loki and Mobius banter is still the highlight though I continue to enjoy Loki and Sylvie's relationship, the introduction of OB, and even giving that one dude who is an OB fanboy more time on the screen. Also dug the Timely variant. Majors may not be a good person, but its been impressive how different he has made each version of Kang so far. I thought this week's episode was good though not as fun as the first two. I am ever so slightly disappointed with the Timely setup though if only because I kind of wanted Kang to still be Richards' a descendant. 

As for what the season is building up I'm not sure. I think effect of He Who Remains's death already started from we saw in Quantumania. I don't think anything we are seeing now will necessarily cause the feared Time War. I do suspect it will set up whatever Kang is supposed to be the big villain for Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars.

This is by far the best MCU TV series they've made and it's not even close. Both season 1 and 2 so far. I think you could probably credit Hiddleston for a lot of that, but literally everyone is bringing their A game and story wise, it is constantly dropping bombs like the end of Infinity War.

I cannot wait until next Thursday night.

• Like 4

Hiddleston is the only reason I'm still watching and it's just for his acting.  Hate the character Loki has become.  Give me an anti-hero instead of a pushover with very little agency.  He's basically Season 8 Jon Snow right now.  Sylvie annoys me to no end.  All of her anger is misplaced and she just brings down every scene she is in.  Major's Victor Timely portrayal seems like the producers told him "Hey, can you be a slightly different version of He Who Remains but find a way to make all your speeches take even longer so we can fill up time?"  Couldn't have made me dislike hot chocolate more.  Loved him running out to fix everything.  

I just don't care about most of the characters and Kang has become a joke.  Renslayer is why everything was the way it was?  How can we be scared of any other version of Kang knowing someone with no powers or abilities was apparently the downfall of all of them?  Maybe the final two episodes will change my mind, but this just feels like Season 1 where we had the big "OH MY GOD" moment in episode 4, they spend episode 5 showing everything is ok and tease something big, and episode 6 is the "this changes everything" moment which won't have all that much impact.  

That was another good episode. It feels like they are leading a bit into Loki's transformation from a god of lies and tricks into a god of stories. I recall that was how he and some friends escaped the End of Everything before Hickman's Secret Wars years ago.

If I wasn’t already tired of multiverses in popular culture, between Loki and Starfield, I’m also tired of 

Spoiler

People being unstuck in time like they were Billy Pilgrim

The acting in the series is great though. Mildly sad the Balder rumor wasn’t true. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Not me, I’m being very quiet.

So…

Hide contents

Outside of some What If voice work, was this pretty much Hiddleston’s send off? 

I assume he plays a role of some sort in the next Avengers movies given his role setting those up here.

Really good finale.

There were already a number of D+ Marvel shows out when I started my MCU journey a couple years ago, this show was one of the ones that I had the least enthusiasm for and it turned out to be one of the best.

Just need to watch the last Ant-Man and the GotG3 films and I'll be caught up and ready for The Marvels.

• Like 2