DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2013: WEEK 10

RIPPA

Had to work today, didn't see the game and as such, I will never forgive my boss.

I suspect that nobody - nobody - in the NFL wants the Panthers to get in the playoffs. 

Does this make us the Memphis Grizzlies of the NFL?  Play f'n ugly, low scoring games, great defense, and win...I'll take it.

• Like 2

How do you compare a RB to a WR and a QB anyway?

With desperation and lunacy

Spiller is very good, but clearly, just by position, has less value than Stafford

With desperation and lunacy

Let the man have his optimism before he becomes a cynical husk like most of us Bills fans.I would like the Lions to succeed, brothers in misery, but you and Fowler's questionable taste in movies might be enough for an LOLLIONS from me when they have their inevitable horrible loss either in the playoffs or to miss the playoffs.

First of all,  all I ever said was they could go 8-8, not that they would or are likely to do so. 6-10 is more likely now, but excuse me if some of the losses have me thinking about what could have been. I have seen WAY too many seasons like this one collapse to be too optimistic.  I guess they were a draft away after all. Hey at least I can be found when they lose, as well as win. As for the rest all I was saying was how the Lions were fortunate to be healthy, and what would happen if their stars were injured. Having said that, some comparisons are not as absurd as you think. Stafford is a very good quarterback, better than anything the Bills have had, but not elite. I'D take him a heartbeat, but he's not in the top echelon, and without Megatron, he's not even in that discussion. IF  healthy, CJ is a top five back, better at his position than Stafford and Bureleson. 

Here's the thing:  The 10th best quarterback in the NFL is more valuable than the 5th best running back.  Hell, the 15th best QB might be more valuable.

(Caveat:  Last season, Peterson was an exception to this.)

Running backs, even really good ones, have pretty limited value in the modern NFL.  Teams win without top running backs, and having top running backs doesn't make teams into winners.  If you have a top 5 QB, you are almost certainly a contender.  If you have a top 5 running back, you might still got 4-12. 

So, if we define better by "how the guy ranks against other players at his own position" then, yeah, Spiller might be a better player than Stafford.  But if we define it by "who is more likely to help his team win games" then Stafford is better by a huge margin.

I don't want to half-arsed jump into this discussion but simply consider the Bills are 3-5 in games where Spiller has topped 100 yards. (126 ATT. 970 YARDS, 7.6 YPC in said games.)

Or just consider MJD's unfortunate career on a poopy doody franchise; where even if they have a stellar record in games where he's topped 100 yards the franchise is just too bad for even him to make a real difference in their overall fate.

I don't want to half-arsed jump into this discussion but simply consider the Bills are 3-5 in games where Spiller has topped 100 yards. (126 ATT. 970 YARDS, 7.6 YPC in said games.)

Or just consider MJD's unfortunate career on a poopy doody franchise; where even if they have a stellar record in games where he's topped 100 yards the franchise is just too bad for even him to make a real difference in their overall fate.

Or Stephen Jackson, or Darren McFadden (when he actually plays) or the first six years of Frank Gore...

Shawn Lee getting injured pretty much ruined any small chance of the Dallas D keeping this game close/interesting, didn't it?

I dont' disagree with your statements, again just pointing out that saying CJ being out is not a good thing for the Bills, and like so many other teams this year, injuries have killed them. Considering the injuries and inexperience, its a wonder they have been in as many games as they have,. If they can play in similar fashion to finish the season 8-8 isn't an outrageous goal. They will probably fall short, but the franchise isn't nearly as bad as some certain people seem to think, going forward.

Or Stephen Jackson, or Darren McFadden (when he actually plays) or the first six years of Frank Gore...

Shawn Lee getting injured pretty much ruined any small chance of the Dallas D keeping this game close/interesting, didn't it?

I'm thinking with their stale offense once again sucking they didn't have much of a chance regardless.

I'd get a certain kick out of seeing the once upon a time underrated dwarf (coming into the league anyways) best No. 18 Egghead in another Super Bowl.

He may not play for the Colts anymore, but talking bad about Sir Peyton is not tolerated. :angry:

Besides. you know New Orleans owes Goodell and The Shield a job for Bountygate, right?  And who better to win off said job than Denver? :lol:

I'd get a certain kick out of seeing the once upon a time underrated dwarf (coming into the league anyways) best No. 18 Egghead in another Super Bowl.

He may not play for the Colts anymore, but talking bad about Sir Peyton is not tolerated. :angry:

Besides. you know New Orleans owes Goodell and The Shield a job for Bountygate, right?  And who better to win off said job than Denver? :lol:

"Sir Peyton?" .....More like "Sir Grossman lost that Super Bowl more than I actually won it."

The Jags were decidedly mediocre for most of MJD's career before these last three years where an inept GM/HC combo ran the franchise into the ground.

Can't hear you, polishing my Super Bowl ring, la-de-daaaaa-aaaa! :P

Doesn't bother me any. Or at least not as much as his spayshull baby bro having two rings bothers him. Still doesn't change the fact that even Trent Dilfer posted better than 3 TD, 7 INT ratio in the playoffs where the Ravens won the Super Bowl. Which is fine in the modern parity landscape of the NFL when you get your team in for a dozen consecutive tournaments you're bound to win one. I guess he deserved it; but it still felt like a lifetime achievement award where his team finally carried him for one more than the opposite was true.

The Jags were decidedly mediocre for most of MJD's career before these last three years where an inept GM/HC combo ran the franchise into the ground.

I hear you. They were at least good enough to be 1st or 2nd round jobbers to the Patriots regularly before these last few seasons.