DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

Barão Vermelho's Barão Vermelho 2... I'm not sure if I've written about this album before, but it's one that I keep coming back to. It's a Brazilian pop rock group that blend elements of new wave and blues rock into an energetic mix. Really fun album.

The Southern Death Cult's The Southern Death Cult... this band would go on to be better known as The Cult. In 1983 they were doing the whole gothic rock, post-punk thing, and doing it better than most to be honest. 

Silver Mountain's Shakin' Brains... This Swedish metal band wasn't shy about how they wanted to sound. Progressive, neoclassical, call it what you will, they still managed to rock pretty hard. 

Indochine's Le péril jaune... I'm not a huge fan of bands appropriating other countries' music, but this was a beautiful synthpop record. 

Axewitch's The Lord of the Flies... Another Swedish metal record but a lot tamer than Silver Mountain.

D.Y.S.' Brotherhood... interesting attempt at a crossover album. Not the best hardcore album ever, but I appreciated their efforts.

Pierre Barouh's Le Pollen... such a cool album cover. If you enjoy chanson, and why wouldn't you, I highly recommend this record and the artist as well. This was recorded in Japan and includes a lot of techno kayo synthpop elements. Very cool.

The Gist's Embrace the Herd... this was a solo effort from Stuart Moxham, the guitarist for Young Marble Giants, a band that has a cult following off the back of one record. This is minimal synth. A lot of it is quirky, but there are some real gems like Love at First Sight.

The Proletariat's Soma Holiday... this was a left-wing hardcore band from Boston. Had the clearest vocals of any hardcore record I've heard. At first I was like, "wait, am I meant to be hearing every word the dude sings?"

Arc Angel's Arc Angel... cheesy, but sometimes you need that full blown 1983 AOR experience. 

Youth Brigade's Sound & Fury... such shitty production. Love it! This was a really catchy hardcore record. 

Boytronic's The Working Model... fun, underrated synthpop record. The opening B-side track, You, made me want to head straight to a 1983 club.

That would be the second try at Sound & Fury, the one from the year before (with "Violence") is better.

Silver Mountain were like the natural branch off from Rainbow that didn't go the way of pretention... the Yngwie path, in other words. Love that record.

EDIT: That first Youth Brigade is in the hundreds of dollars. The one you heard just got re-released. *sigh*

EDIT II: FOR EXAMPLE! https://pukenvomitrecords.com/products/youth-brigade-sound-fury-used-lp-8 🤣

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Satan's Court in the Act... if you're a metal band and you call yourselves Satan, you have a lot to live up to. This was part of the transition from NWOBHM to speed metal. It was an exciting time to be a metal fan if you prefer the faster stuff. This may not hit as hard as some of the other metal albums from '83, but it's still freaking good. Being the clueless putz that I am, I didn't realize that these guys are still making records. 

Wipers' Over the Edge... the Wipers are one of my favorite bands from this era. They did post-punk but with a hardcore edge. The production on this is a bit suss, but it's noisy and I love it.

The Fall's Perverted by Language... I'm a Fall fan. If I listen to one of their records, I genuinely go on and listen to their entire discography in a single day. That said, it's kind of hard to stick on a record of theirs at random and enjoy it without being in that zone. So I can't really rate this in relation to the other albums I've been listening to. I hope that made sense.

Manilla Road's Crystal Logic... I could do without the spoken word stuff that makes me feel like I'm reading a Conan comic, but this is catchy power metal. It's not as heavy as other metal bands. I figure you'll either love it because it's slightly different or want to put on something else. 

The The's Soul Mining... it's been donkey's years since I listened to this. This is a fascinating record as the depressing lyrical content doesn't match the catchy new wave sound. You don't hear a lot of depressing new wave music. Sonically. this is beautifully textured. 

Streets' 1st... call me crazy but I thought this was an enjoyable mix of AOR and hard rock. Better than most AOR you'll hear from '83. 

Casiopea's Photographs... another great album from the Japanese jazz fusion group Casiopea. If you want to listen to some happy, feel-good music you can't go wrong with this. 

Kommunity FK's The Vision and the Voice... ooh, I wasn't expecting this to be quite so good. It's a mix of deathrock, punk, garage and metal. I'll take all of that. 

The Legendary Pink Dots' Curse... this has more of a darkwave sound than the other Dots albums I've heard. That's not really my thing, but as usual there's some interesting synth psychedelia. 

Real Life's Heartland... this band is famous for their songs Send Me an Angel and Catch Me I'm Falling, and not much else, but I thought the rest of the record was a cracking synthpop effort. Wouldn't have picked it as an Aussie album, mind you. I guess they were trying to appeal to the overseas market.

Trance's Power Infusion... If you want some classic Scorpions sounding German metal, then give this a spin. You won't regret it. 

4 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I didn't realize that these guys are still making records. 

And they're all good. No joke. It's at like four in a row or something. (I missed seeing them last October because I fell down some stairs and wrecked my knee RIGHT BEFORE WE WENT THERE. It might top my "you got drunk, fucked up and didn't see the show" list.)

Crystal Logic is maybe my #2 or #3 favorite metal album of all time. I've even finally gotten to the point where I don't skip "Feeling Free Again". (And, speaking of show regrets, not going to see them before Mark the Shark died is a big one; I even got a shirt bought for me at that one... jeez...)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

There are people who will mosh to anything 

The people who mosh at ska shows should be rounded up and sent to Siberia.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Why would you slam (I'm not even using the 'M' word here) to Satan, of all bands?! 

There were idiots trying to mosh at one of the Sunn0))) shows I went to. Same with the Liturgy show I saw. People are idiots. 

On 3/23/2024 at 3:39 PM, sabremike said:

The people who mosh at ska shows should be rounded up and sent to Siberia.

Imagine you were doing this and knocked over the singers mic stand. And all 17 band members came after you

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jeff and Jane Hudson's Flesh... pretty energetic minimal synth from this husband and wife duo. I believe this was completely self-produced by the band and a bit of a collector's item on vinyl. 

TC Matic's Choco... this is an aggressive Belgian new wave album. I can't remember hearing a new wave album this abrasive. The leader singer snarls at the listener like a Belgian Johnny Rotten. It's memorable if nothing else.

Charlie Haden's The Ballad of the Fallen... this is almost like a jazz concept album as Haden wanted to make a political record about the fight against oppression and chose to record a bunch of resistance songs. What appeals to me is that Don Cherry plays on the record, which reminds me of the early days of the Ornette Coleman group.

Rock Goddess' Rock Goddess... Rock Goddess were an all-female power trio from England. Must have been hard for them to shake the novelty tag, but these girls were legit. Hard rocking metal with a pop sensibility. The lead singer is great. 

Negative Approach's Tied Down... burly Detroit hardcore. Your mileage is always gonna vary with hardcore as everyone wants different things from it, but personally the vocals here were closer to what I want from a hardcore record. 

ZZ Top's Eliminator... this is okay. The heavy rotation MTV hits are decent, and it's a brave and successful reinvention for the band, but vocally it doesn't do a lot for me. 

The Starlin's Mushi... I fucking love this album. If I was only allowed to keep one record from '83 for the rest of my life, this might be it. Quite possibly the best Japanese punk album ever, but that's debatable. 

Dio's Holy Diver... this record was a big deal at the time. It still feels like a big deal forty years later. The juxtaposition between the metal and non-metal elements are interesting. Having one foot in each camp gives it massive crossover appeal. It's hard for me to take seriously at times, but that's probably because of how bombastic it is. 

R.E.M.'s Murmur... I could never really figure out whether I like this record or not. I know I'm supposed to, but it's not a record I listen to a lot. I'm a huge jangle pop fan, so I wanna give it another listen soon and concentrate on the music and not Stipe's unintelligible lyrics. 

• Like 2

Holy Diver is perfect.

I never got into the Stalin, yet own tons of Japanese punk. Is something wrong with me?

Tied Down sounds a little weak to me. I wish it sounded like the 7", which is the best '80s hardcore EP next to Pick Your King and Raped Ass.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

At SunnO)))? Didn't they know they're supposed to stand motionless, fall down on the ground, or if they're really smart, just leave? 

I've enjoyed the Sunn0))) shows I've been to. The first had Boris open and was right when "Pink" came out. Very sick show plus Boris' drummer stage dive during Sunn. The second time featured Atilla on vocals performing dressed as a tree. I don't listen to them much anymore but still occasionally throw in Black One or the Boris collaboration. 

I had to go to Walmart after work and whatever radio they were playing was good. "West End Girls" was playing when I walked in and "Love Will Tear Us Apart" followed. 

• Like 1

I'm sitting in Walmart for orientation! The radio is blaring back here. It actually... isn't bad. No Joy Division, but I heard "The Distance" for the first time in years. And of course while typing this out on my phone (we're all finished and getting paid to do nothing) some shitty modern country came on.

SunnO))) just is something that might be interesting live but I dont know if I could endure it long. As it is my interest in the super-slow has faded. Maybe some Thergothon or Skepticism, the Winter record, Burning Witch, but I don't even listen to Reverend Bizarre anymore.

• Like 1

I don't really listen to a lot of super slow heavy drone anymore (odd that change coincides with getting sober) but a few of their records have enough else going on. I'm still learning to enjoy things without substances. Hard to rewire twenty plus years so quickly. 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 8:33 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

The Fall's Perverted by Language... I'm a Fall fan. If I listen to one of their records, I genuinely go on and listen to their entire discography in a single day. That said, it's kind of hard to stick on a record of theirs at random and enjoy it without being in that zone. So I can't really rate this in relation to the other albums I've been listening to. I hope that made sense.

What if you just isolate this one track, and put it on repeat...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4dP43KWaSU
That's amongst my favorites of the entire catalog. My introduction to Witch Trials was a deluxe set that included this fabulous (2nd) Peel Session which I've coincidentally been listening to in rotation this past week...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eatYgj5Fj30

EDIT: Ugh, I was commenting on Witch Trials for some odd reason. Perveted by Language is maybe my favorite Fall album. I'm of the belief that the B Side is amongst the best sides I've ever heard. I especially love this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE-6xoh1khg

20 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Jeff and Jane Hudson's Flesh... pretty energetic minimal synth from this husband and wife duo. I believe this was completely self-produced by the band and a bit of a collector's item on vinyl. 

ZZ Top's Eliminator... this is okay. The heavy rotation MTV hits are decent, and it's a brave and successful reinvention for the band, but vocally it doesn't do a lot for me. 

R.E.M.'s Murmur... I could never really figure out whether I like this record or not. I know I'm supposed to, but it's not a record I listen to a lot. I'm a huge jangle pop fan, so I wanna give it another listen soon and concentrate on the music and not Stipe's unintelligible lyrics. 

I get the idea of 'supposed' to like REM's early catalog. I rejected this notion for many, many years. The thing that change me on the Athens juggernaut was seeing some of the early TV performances - in particular this thrilling Tube offering...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwmHd2uhtm8

I love those other two you mentioned.

There's certainly nostalgia attached to it, but Eliminator and ZZ Top in general, for me, gets better with each passing year. And yeah, I've heard those hits far too many times to still like them. But i do! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbyCWAcHSGE

19 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I've enjoyed the Sunn0))) shows I've been to. The first had Boris open and was right when "Pink" came out. Very sick show plus Boris' drummer stage dive during Sunn. The second time featured Atilla on vocals performing dressed as a tree. I don't listen to them much anymore but still occasionally throw in Black One or the Boris collaboration. 

I saw SunnO))) here in Toronto in the Summer of 2016 at an old generating station. It was unreal. The loudest performance I'll probably ever gladly experience. The rumble made the ceiling rain some sort of ungodly dusty old shit that may have taken some years off of our lives. Monoliths & Dimensions was where I came in, and still enjoy firing it up from time to time. I just now saw that the Hearn Generating Station show here in TO is on Bandcamp...
https://sunn-live.bandcamp.com/album/sunn-o-20160610-hearn-generating-station-toronto-can

I also saw Stephen O'Malley play with Kali Malone last year at a downtown Church. It was excellent show and a reminder what a interesting open minded artist he is. 

I had to go to Walmart after work and whatever radio they were playing was good. "West End Girls" was playing when I walked in and "Love Will Tear Us Apart" followed. 

Love Will Tear Us Apart and West End Girls is about as good as it gets. I asked a pal who was working at a grocery store, and complaining about the repetition of bad music, what was a song he'd heard over and over that he could still get down with. Heart of Glass was his answer. Curious what song(s) might fit that bill for our @Curt McGirt ?

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Monoliths and Dimensions has some good stuff on it. I thought it might end up along the lines of Black One with Atilla providing the vocals but was pleasantly surprised by some really nice moments. I might have to get it out for my walk tomorrow. 

• Like 1