DVDVR Message Board

DC Movies - 2021

On 1/3/2021 at 5:30 AM, The Natural said:

Wonder Woman 1984 Rotten Tomatoes ratings started in the high 80s Fresh fittingly for the 1984 title and gained a Certified Fresh rating. The Certified Fresh rating is there no longer and it's now 60%, dips below that becomes rotten. Can't remember a film dropping like it has on Rotten Tomatoes. Wonder Woman is 93% Fresh with a CF rating. Long before that, I was sceptical about the runtime of Wonder Woman 1984 and wasn't in a rush to see it so read spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Steve Trevor is back by possessing another man's body and he/Wonder Woman are cool with it? WTF was Patty Jenkins or whoever wrote it thinking? Wonder Woman convinced all to give up their wishes? Tad convenient, there will be those who won't.

As noted the runtime of 151 minutes.

Weak third act two Wonder Woman films running?

The difference in tone between Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman 1984. Too different?

I will watch the film at some point though. Not yet.

---

Been thinking about biggest dip in quality between sequels while having the same director. I've come up with:

Iron Man and Iron Man 2 by Jon Favreau.

The Mask of Zorro and The Legend of Zorro, Martin Campbell.

Men in Black and Men in Black II, Barry Sonnenfeld.

The Bourne Ultimatum and Jason Bourne, Paul Greengrass.

Skyfall and Spectre, Sam Mendes.

Avengers Assemble and Avengers: Age of Ultron by Joss Whedon.

ZJlmIHj.png

Hell of a drop from Wonder Woman to Wonder Woman 1984. Be interesting to see whether Patty Jenkins takes notes of the Wonder Woman 1984 criticisms for Wonder Woman 3 which is a long way out. This one would have underperformed at the box office were it not for the shit time we're all living in with the coronavirus worldwide pandemic.

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

ZJlmIHj.png

Hell of a drop from Wonder Woman to Wonder Woman 1984. Be interesting to see whether Patty Jenkins takes notes of the Wonder Woman 1984 criticisms for Wonder Woman 3 which is a long way out. This one would have underperformed at the box office were it not for the shit time we're all living in with the coronavirus worldwide pandemic.

I wonder if it's also partly because it was delayed so often, and we had so many trailers that showed so much, that there was a group of folks who didn't think they really needed to see it, that they saw all the good parts already.

• Like 1

There's been speculation or I guess it's more than speculation from Hamada that they will be moving forward with the multiverse approach so I wouldn't be surprised to see something more out of Snyder following the Justice League but it could also be dependent on how fans receive it.  I say fans because we already know critics have their mind made up well in advance.  

That's also why Michael Keaton is back in talks for Flash.  

Matt Reeves The Batman is in its own universe. 

This is all about content..   

If you like the Snyder stuff then cool here's something for you. 

If you don't want that then we have The Batman.  etc.. 

Watched WW84 last night and I enjoyed it, but I can't say it was good. It reminded me of an old Superman movie(with Christopher Reeves), and it felt that it was MADE in 1984. Very methodical, little action. Can't say I will ever watch it again though. This thing would have BOMBED at the box office in a normal year. Although she was okay, Kristen Wiig is not a main nemesis in a comic book movie. . . .

• Like 2

Speaking of VOD: Since this is now a film instead of a miniseries, gotta assume it's Warner VOD in Canada for $30 (or three Macdonalds).

The big question to be answered with this is where the Canadian consumer really stands with regards to HBO Max content. Locked Down shows up free for Crave subscribers and I still gotta spend six Lauriers to see Zemeckis' Witches? This is a bullshit country! Looking at the Warner slate for this year and what perks my interest, I'm looking to be out a Borden and a Queen Elizabeth on:

• Dune
  • Matrix 4
  • Judas and the Black Messiah
  • The Many Saints of Newark

At this point, I'm holding out hope this thing drops free on Crave so I can have some hope of saving money on any of those titles. 

Edit: Nevermind, just watched the February HBO Max preview. I'm no doubt eating the $30 for Judas and the Black Messiah, and thus pretty much anything that stood a chance of hitting theaters. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas