DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Ok, so is Arrow actually good, or is it just CW low expectations good?

Setting aside GoT, Arrow is the show that I think is the most fun show to watch on TV. They have made a couple missteps and it certainly isn't a show like Breaking Bad where you can reliably get great performances every week, but I feel like I sometimes need a show that suspends reality a little bit, and I don't need to devote thought to outside of the hour a week I sit and watch it. 

I don't get this new Batman meme. Can someone explain why it's funny?

Batman is mopey. People have gotten tired of dark the "dark" crap, so they're injecting some fun into it.

They should Photoshop Marvel stuff into Star Trek and Transformers scenes since they're all so vapid and shallow in terms of the way they look.

Ok, so is Arrow actually good, or is it just CW low expectations good?

Both. Started out the latter, but became more the former over time. Its not up there with the best of tv or anything, but it provides good action and some occasional good drama.

How does the portrayal of Green Arrow compare to how it was depicted as a side character on Smallville?

The Arrow depiction is more Batman-esque.

Liked Barry's personality and his contrast with Arrow, seems like it would be a fun pairing. But pretty much hated the rest of that promo, CW's style does nothing for me visually, it always looks very cheap.

For Matt D, I pretty much agree with the other folks.  After a rough first half-season, it got to be a fun show to watch that didn't insult your intelligence too much.  It's nothing like Breaking Bad, as noted, but it's a fun little superhero show.  It generally gives me what I want of it.

That said, I was souring a bit on the end of season 2.  But the finale brought me back.  The only thing I disliked was

the tease that Laurel would become Black Canary II.  Yeah, that was probably the plan all along, but I don't like Laurel or the actress who plays her, and it's hard to see how she'll learn to fight and stuff.

Back to positive stuff: the Ollie-Felicity swerve was top-notch.

For Matt D, I pretty much agree with the other folks.  After a rough first half-season, it got to be a fun show to watch that didn't insult your intelligence too much.  It's nothing like Breaking Bad, as noted, but it's a fun little superhero show.  It generally gives me what I want of it.

That said, I was souring a bit on the end of season 2.  But the finale brought me back.  The only thing I disliked was

the tease that Laurel would become Black Canary II.  Yeah, that was probably the plan all along, but I don't like Laurel or the actress who plays her, and it's hard to see how she'll learn to fight and stuff.

Back to positive stuff: the Ollie-Felicity swerve was top-notch.

I'm ok with the actress and don't mind here becoming the Canary seeing as how the character is supposed to be Black Canary. Hopefully they just manage to writer her better next season.

I think season 2 just ended up feeling long because there wasn't a lot of resolution till the end. Instead of having a major story line and a minor story line which led into the major being resolved and the minor becoming the new major, we just had a lot of spinning plates that got resolved in the end. Still probably the best non-animated comic book television series.