DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

Becky

Yes that is Kevin James playing a Nazi

(Apparently Simon Pegg was originally cast in that role but had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts)

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Need to watch more Rollin. Fascination and The Grapes of Death are two of my favorites but I can't recall seeing any of his others.

It had lots of nudity and cool “Hippy” music. It may have had a plot as well.

I read the plot for The Grapes of Doom and it’s definitely in the watch list. No luck with Fascination.

Between Kanopy, Hoopla, and Amazon Prime, I’ve never had so much easy access to sleaze.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Body Cam

Being released digitally on May 19

And yes - that is Mary J Blige

This is probably a better career decision for Mary J than Freddy vs. Jason was for Kelly Rowland.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Lloyd Kaufman is gonna be the next guest on Joe Bob

Oh man, so many options for that one.

Also the Brain Damage/Deep Red double feature was probably one of the better double features of the series. For some reason they just jived right. When Brain Damage was over and they announced Deep Red was next I was totally in the mood for it.

• Like 1

Hey!  The annual Xfinity Watchathon is running through the 17th of this month!

I hit up EPIX On Demand last night. 

I thought The Poughkeepsie Tapes would be easier to watch now that I know what will happen.  I was wrong and dumb.

Blumhouse is developing “Our Lady of Tears,” a film based on a recent article about a mass hysteria epidemic that spread through an all-girls boarding school.

Issa López (“Tigers Are Not Afraid”) is set to write and direct the film. The project is an adaptation of a story published by Epic Magazine and Vox and written by Daniel Hernandez. The outbreak, which may have had supernatural roots, took place at a strict Catholic school on the outskirts of Mexico City and afflicted a group of young women who came from impoverished families.

Tigers Are Not Afraid is pretty amazing so I hope this turns out awesome as well.

It's FRIDAY!!!!! Joe Bob's Last Drive-In has become me and my wife's datenight. It's pretty much all we have to look forward to every week.

The Clue for tonight's Double Feature is:

"2 of the most violent movies ever made, one where the violence is completely supernatural, destroying the mind, the other where it's on the street, destroying the body."

Trailer for The Vast of Night starring Sierra McCormick and Jake Horowitz.  A sci-fi thriller framed as an episode of a Twilight Zone-ish episode of a 60's anthology series entitled Paradox Theater.

Tentative release date on Amazon Prime is May 29th.  There was a planned limited release to drive in theaters to celebrate the retro look of the film but coronavirus.

Edited by J.T.

I don't remember Joe Bob Briggs being as spoileriffic with the scorecard. 

Of course I haven't seen a Monstervision in 25 years. 

Guess I misremembered the totals being later in the show. 

Watched The Changeling and The House of the Devil and the scorecard was right before the film. 

• Like 1

I watched Fantasy Island last night. It's good, just don't expect anything revolutionary. Still, a good rental if you wanna shut your brain off for 90 minutes or so. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 10:08 AM, jaedmc said:

"2 of the most violent movies ever made, one where the violence is completely supernatural, destroying the mind, the other where it's on the street, destroying the body."

So what were they? I'm loathe to even check if they're on Shudder Prime yet.

So, The Wretched is playing in drive in venues and making a decent bit of cash during its open limited release.

My kid and I rented it one weekend On Demand.  It is a solid if unsurprising little horror film.  It doesn't reinvent the wheel and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The upside being that social distancing could lead to a blessed revival of drive in theaters.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

The upside being that social distancing could lead to a blessed revival of drive in theaters.

There was a piece on the national news the other night about them being packed. That made me think that my fears of the entire industry going kerblooey were a bit premature. When people can go back to the movies, they're REALLY gonna go back to the movies. 

Sure enough, I checked out what the Harvest Moon over in Gibson City was playing and they got Twister (which I actually saw at the drive-in when it came out!) and Wonder Woman playing til the end of the month. Good deal. 

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So what were they? I'm loathe to even check if they're on Shudder Prime yet.

First one, the psychological one, was Exorcist 3. Which I personally love. And it includes a lot of descriptions of really horrible shit that I forgot. Joe Bob had a lot of great commentary on that and how the picture got made. I didn't know this but Blatty and Friedkin were given 500,000 DOLLARS to pitch a sequel to The Exorcist. JUST TO PITCH IT. After the meeting the Studio went with the what became the sequel most everyone hated.

I think Exorcist 3 is great. It feels like a play. Like if Glengary Glenn Ross was about the Gemini Killer and The Devil.

The second film was DEAD BEAT AT DAWN. Grindhouse Ohio Indie Gang Film. Everyone does their own stunts and no one is trained to do so. It's tremendous.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, I forgot, Mark from Impetigo said Deadbeat was one of them on Facebook. Said band used this most infamous clip from it on their song "I Work for the Streetcleaner":

That is still legit one of the funniest things I've ever seen/heard, and deserves to be somebody's voicemail message badly. 

As far as the film itself, it's a shame VanBebber didn't do more after that. I think it took like 20 years to get the funding for his The Manson Family. Deadbeat is utterly insane and awesome. 

Exorcist III is great though I always thought the ending felt a bit tacked on. The lady with the clippers is legit scary as fuck. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 1:12 AM, Travis Sheldon said:

I don't remember Joe Bob Briggs being as spoileriffic with the scorecard. 

Of course I haven't seen a Monstervision in 25 years. 

Guess I misremembered the totals being later in the show. 

Watched The Changeling and The House of the Devil and the scorecard was right before the film. 

So I looked on YouTube at an old ep of Monstervision and they did have the scorecard breakdown before the feature started. 

Guess I was suffering from another case of the  memory slipping away. 

18 hours ago, jaedmc said:

First one, the psychological one, was Exorcist 3. Which I personally love. And it includes a lot of descriptions of really horrible shit that I forgot. Joe Bob had a lot of great commentary on that and how the picture got made. I didn't know this but Blatty and Friedkin were given 500,000 DOLLARS to pitch a sequel to The Exorcist. JUST TO PITCH IT. After the meeting the Studio went with the what became the sequel most everyone hated.

I think Exorcist 3 is great. It feels like a play. Like if Glengary Glenn Ross was about the Gemini Killer and The Devil.

Legion is a thoughtful and engaging novel, but it is far more philosophical than The Exorcist.  I have no idea why someone thought it was a good idea to turn it into a movie that dumbed down or even skipped some of the more inspired parts of the book.

Even it its "for dummies" state, Exorcist III is still a brilliant movie.  I think people hated the movie because they expected to have their eyes assaulted again and had their brains boggled instead.