DVDVR Message Board

2020 HORROR MOVIES

Dolfan in NYC

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (the final Hammer Frankenstein film) is ending right now but on two more times after this tomorrow on Epix Drive-In. I've never seen it before and it is really good. Cushing at age 59 actually pulled off his own stunt where he jumped up on a table and onto the monster's back to chloroform it; dude looked agile as a cat. And take in mind he also looked like Gran Moff Tarkin at this point. Incredible. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

On 5/31/2020 at 12:33 PM, jaedmc said:

I said to my wife when they talked about these people thinking she was really possessed by the devil that this was only in 1973. Two generations back. No way are we smarter than that now. Dumb takes time to get bred out.

You should watch the Omen episode as a follow-up to that thought. There are themes across all five episodes that weave together and it's best to watch them all in order as they play off each other in that direction. 

Tonight's Joe Bob clues are Twisted Ethics and Twisted Metal.

The first shit I thought of for Twisted Ethics was Dr. Giggles. Twisted Metal could go heavy metal horror or something with cars.

10 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Tonight's Joe Bob clues are Twisted Ethics and Twisted Metal.

The first shit I thought of for Twisted Ethics was Dr. Giggles. Twisted Metal could go heavy metal horror or something with cars.

Christine? Literally twisted metal. 

On 5/9/2020 at 1:02 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Need to watch more Rollin. Fascination and The Grapes of Death are two of my favorites but I can't recall seeing any of his others.

About 20 minutes into THE GRAPES OF DEATH and it is surprisingly narrative-driven for a Rollin film.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

The details from the Daily Beast article this stems from paint a pretty bad picture. Calling Cinestate a "right-wing film studio" because of some S Craig Zahler movies might be a bit much though.

Speaking of Joe Bob the clue for this week is tantalizing:

Both movies this week are WORLD STREAMING PREMIERES! The first has been well received at festivals. The second, 13 years in the making, will be seen for the first time anywhere on #TheLastDriveIn. Send guesses to @kinky_horror
. Winner chooses any item from Joe Bob's Prize Closet.

On a side note, Darcy the Mail Girl had a bit of a breakdown because the internet is full of douchebags. This will probably strike a chord with those of us who kept up with Hana Kimura. It's a sad thread to read.

• Sad 1

I thought the second hint might refer to Andrew Getty's The Evil Within / The Storyteller (2017) since it's production was on again / off again for 13 years (poor bastard died in 2015 before it was complete)  but I think that movie is available on Amazon so I don't think it meets the world streaming premier criteria.

The first clue is too vague and with the lack of festivals going on thanks to COVID, my memory of horror movie darlings from the previous festival season is pretty dim.  The only movie I can think of that may check the boxes Is Saint Maud and I will lose my shit if Joe Bob shows that on the next Drive In.

People need to stop being douche nozzles to Darcy the Mail Girl.

Edited by J.T.

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I thought the second hint might refer to Andrew Getty's The Evil Within / The Storyteller (2017) since it's production was on again / off again for 13 years (poor bastard died in 2015 before it was complete)  but I think that movie is available on Amazon so I don't think it meets the world streaming premier criteria.

Word on the street is it's HOGZILLA.....starring Joe Bob Briggs.

• Like 1

That sounds about right, as I recall an article back in 2007 from DVDVR board alumnus, Scott "The Foywonder" Foy, writing about the rush to get a Hogzilla movie to market first.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/1881/wait-two-hogzilla-movies/

I also forgot who we were talking about.  I don't think that The Evil Within has nearly enough boobies in it to warrant four stars.

Edited by J.T.

Was flipping around Pluto and ended up catching House of a 1000 Corpses. I probably haven't watched outside of youtubing a scene or two since it came out...17 years ago. Anyway I ended up watching the whole shebang because Sid Haig is so good in his scenes and they're almost perfectly placed so that they keep you going.

And you know what? I like Sheri Moon Zombie. I remember after this movie people would hate on her for being in his movies - but I dig her. She's fucking weeeeird.

• Like 4

I normally hate it that she is in so many Rob Zombie movies, but she's naked in Lords of Salem and she looks hot with her hair in skinny dreadlocks and wearing nerd glasses.  She's also not entirely terrible as a final girl in 31.

I watched The Perfection on Netflix last night.  It may be the best movie ever made about the worst plan ever devised..   The logic (lack of?) will boggle your mind.  

If you play a drinking game where you take a shot every time you say "Are you shitting me?" out loud, you might be drunk before the movie ends... and you'll need to be sober to appreciate the unapologetically excellent and brutal ending.

Edited by J.T.

Perfection would probably be on my Top 10 of shit I watched last year.

It just was just unapologetically bonkers to the point of like "who is this movie for?" and usually when movies get to that point I fall in love.

I was going to bring that up.

Scream, Queen! is pretty incredible and people outside of horror should absolutely watch it. Trailer makes it look like some revenge tour for Mark Patton, which isn't really what the film is about at all. It's more about describing his story against the backdrop of intense homophobia during the AIDS epidemic, and how he's telling his story to help folks out. He's really out there doing some good.

The conversation he finally gets to have with David Chaskin is pretty good for both sides, and has a lot of empathy and self-reflection - not a bunch of "HEY FUCK YOU" stuff.

The flipside of that conversation is the one Patton has with the director Jack Sholder - which is fucking embarrassing for Sholder. He's got his head in the sand.

But yeah, one of my favorite movies I've seen all year that moved me a great deal.

• Like 3