DVDVR Message Board

Black Friday deals

Neil Koch

The problem with 120hz though is that it makes some TV shows that weren't shot that way look like stuff that was shot on a digital camcorder (otherwise known as the "soap opera effect.")  Some people never notice it, and others are annoyed as fuck by it (myself being one of them.)  But regardless, you can always turn it off.

If you watch sports and I know you do, 120 is what you want.

The Vizio 55" model E550i is the one I just got and it's the one on sale for $479 for black Friday and it's got a really good picture. Even though it's 120hz it doesn't give that soap opera effect. I thought it was one of the best values on the market at $630 when I got it and at $479 it's an awesome deal.

How would you turn it off? I am seriously looking at a new TV this Black Friday.

Every company has its own fancy name for it (on my LG it is called TruMotion) It's usually got a "motion" or "clear" name. It's in your TV settings, you can easily turn it on and off.  120 definitely can be a positive, but just be aware of its annoyances too.

Are they going to have a lot of them in stock you think?

The one I'm talking about will be on Amazon but I don't know when.  Their sales start on Sunday the 24th and go through black friday.  So that TV could pop up whenever.  The 60" Vizio from Walmart for $688 is one of the ones guaranteed in stock for one hour deals I think. 

How would you turn it off? I am seriously looking at a new TV this Black Friday.

Every company has its own fancy name for it (on my LG it is called TruMotion) It's usually got a "motion" or "clear" name. It's in your TV settings, you can easily turn it on and off.  120 definitely can be a positive, but just be aware of its annoyances too.

Yep. Sometimes if the TV is newer/more advanced, they'll have two separate settings so that it'll handle motion better but you can still turn down the soap opera effect. My friend got a really nice Samsung LED LCD but I guess kept the settings stock out of the box so my other friend did some ninja work to turn it off and things are much better for everyone when we go there. It's not a terrible effect when watching sports but it's hideous for movies and TV shows.

I bought a 32" Samsung LCD back in 2008.  It was a 720P and I want to say that I got it for around $400+. Now, that TV sells in the low-$200's without even factoring in a sale like Black Friday.

In fact, I think I only paid $50-$100 more for a 55" Samsung in 2012, when my 32" finally crapped out.

Yep. Sometimes if the TV is newer/more advanced, they'll have two separate settings so that it'll handle motion better but you can still turn down the soap opera effect. My friend got a really nice Samsung LED LCD but I guess kept the settings stock out of the box so my other friend did some ninja work to turn it off and things are much better for everyone when we go there. It's not a terrible effect when watching sports but it's hideous for movies and TV shows.

Sometimes I actually enjoy it as a special effect.  It almost feels like I'm on set watching them film the scene...like, it's so disorienting that it calls your attentions to different things...it also somehow makes the sets look really obviously fakey.  It's almost like watching a stage play and suddenly you're noticing all these verisimilitude issues in the movie.

~SHOTS FIRED!

Best Buy got the jump on Amazon and Walmart, and is selling GTA V for $33. Just reserved it, and will pick it up this morning.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Grand+Theft+Auto+V+-+PlayStation+3/4056679.p?id=1218452720455&skuId=4056679&st=Grand_Theft_Auto_V_68903&lp=2&cp=1

Amazon is also selling Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition for $15, which includes the undead DLC.

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Redemption-Game-Year-sony-playstation3/dp/B005N4HBIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385463958&sr=8-1&keywords=red+dead+redemption+game+of+the+year

The floodgates have opened.

As much as I want to grab GTA V and Arkham Origins...I still haven't even played my copy of GTA IV and Arkham City that I got on BF last year. Going to hold off for this year.

I *am* patiently tapping my foot waiting for Amazon to put the 3DS XL on sale in about two hours.

Currently trying to decide whether to try for a 3DSXL from Amazon when it goes on sale in a couple hours, or just buy the Zelda bundle from Best Buy at full price ($220) and put it on my BB card to get six months on it.

Edited to explain: If it's the same $150 as Target's doing on Friday, the game is $40 which means I'd be paying $30 more but amortizing it over the winter and spring instead of paying 'cash.'

As much as I want to grab GTA V and Arkham Origins...I still haven't even played my copy of GTA IV and Arkham City that I got on BF last year. Going to hold off for this year.

I *am* patiently tapping my foot waiting for Amazon to put the 3DS XL on sale in about two hours.

OHHHH I'm gonna look at these for my kid this year. Interesting development.....