DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

The "Holy Trinity" will always be Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King. Mermaid came out and jolted it, sure, and Rescuers Down Under was fine (Also snuck in there was DUCKTALES: TREASURE OF THE LOST LAMP, which is underrated), but those three brought the studio back to prominence. That's how they were able to get Pixar involved, got Ghibli involved, all that.

The "Holy Trinity" will always be Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King. Mermaid came out and jolted it, sure, and Rescuers Down Under was fine (Also snuck in there was DUCKTALES: TREASURE OF THE LOST LAMP, which is underrated), but those three brought the studio back to prominence. That's how they were able to get Pixar involved, got Ghibli involved, all that.

Mermaid unquestionably started the renaissance. Duck Tales isn't the WDFA studio. Rescuers down Under is decent, but didn't have much impact critically or at the box office.

Of course, I'm the weirdo who thinks Lion King was a step down from the last few films.

Of course, I'm the weirdo who thinks Lion King was a step down from the last few films.

Nothing weird about that - Lion King *IS* a step down from Mermaid, Beast, and Aladdin.

Just back from Ender's Game.  I have not read any of the books, so had no frame of reference going in.  Co-worker had suggested it, had heard it was good, I had a free ticket, so....

Anyway, this was fun.  The special effects were great.  The acting was generally solid, if a bit much on the "this is serious" gravitas thing.  It's not mindless but definitely not a movie you're wanting to spend too much time analyzing for deeper meanings or whatever.  I was entertained and that's all I ask.  7/10.

The amount of exposition in The Dark Knight Rises is staggering.

I like the movie, but yeah, I agree.  That was one of my many problems with Man of Steel, though.

Well, one of those films is suppose to be an origin story.

I like the movie, but yeah, I agree.  That was one of my many problems with Man of Steel, though.

The exposition in Man of Steel that bugged me was the entire scene they spent having Jor-El explain everything that we already saw an hour earlier.

My daughters are watching the BRATZ live action movie and I want to start smoking crack: I'm four beers in and I still can't  kill enough brain cells to make this shit fly.

The heroines are only slightly less bitchy than the mean girls: when not stabbing each other in the back, they are deciding they need MORE ATTITUDE to succeed in life. They are already total bitches...they can be worse?

The meanest Mean Girl just tried to embarrass the Bratz in public by suggesting the fashionista might (GASP!) also be good at science! Somehow that means she doesn't love her parents. 

And that the soccer star's single mom might have worked a job as a maid (GASP!) to support her daughter!  What a total loser, working to pay bills?

And the main Brat (Yasmin: who names a character after a controversial birth control pill?) was a total bitch to a deaf jock...but now they're cool because she can sing and he can feel music through speakers. Sure, okay.

Fuck this movie, Sheiky-style.

• Like 1

The exposition in Man of Steel that bugged me was the entire scene they spent having Jor-El explain everything that we already saw an hour earlier.

Didn't bother me a bit.

I like Snyder.

My problems were mostly with the fucking script.

I wish we had access to the old thread because I don't really remember what your issues were with the script. All I remember is people crapping on Snyder (maybe it was here or elsewhere?)... he receives a TON of hate from critics and internet bloggers and I've never understood it...

Honestly, I think he's awesome. Nobody would have done a better job with Watchmen.

In this age of reboots, sequels, remakes and everything else, I'm surprised no one's tried to reboot Tank Girl. At least a female hero as the lead would be something different and it's probably not something you'd have to throw $200 million at either.

Not saying it would make huge money (the original certainly didn't) but it's got a decent-sized cult audience and there's the potential for a hit movie there.

My issues are the utter lack of personal agency from Superman (Every decision he makes someone told him what to do!), the utter lack of effort to save people after he gets the costume (the part before he gets the costume is damn near perfect, imho), and

SUPERMAN FUCKING SNAPS SOMEONE'S NECK!

• Like 1

He does but there are instances within his own comic series where

He's killed someone.. so why do people act as if it's never happened?

Also, he saved plenty of people in the film through his own volition. Remember when he saves all of those children and pops is like "WTF MAN YOU CAN'T BE DOIN THIS SHIT" and Clark is like "It was the right thing to do, Dad"

Plus, I realize he's Superman but he cannot be everywhere all at once. The character has never been able to save every single life...  he saved most of their lives but he had to take the route he took in order to do it.. he saved millions of lives and if you watch the movie, he really wasn't throwing people through skyscrapers, most of that was Zod.  I don't really care for this idea that Supes should have taken the fight elsewhere...  it was his first fight ever with anyone...  Even Superman has the ability to grow.

Outside the very early issues of Action Comics from the 30's, before the character was fully established, him killing people happened, to the best of my knowledge, twice.  The first time in Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, where he then punished himself by STRIPPING HIS POWERS AWAY because a Superman that kills cannot be allowed to exist.  The second at the end of Byrne's run, and IT DROVE HIM FUCKING INSANE.

Yes, I know he didn't throw people threw skyscrapers, and, yes, he saved people before he got the costume.  But during the fight in Smallville and in Metropolis, he makes no effort to rescue anyone.  Fuck, he stops to make out with Lois while people are in mortal damage all around him.

• Like 1

But you act like Superman was all "whatever.." about it.

When he killed Zod he was destroyed. Did you not see the pain and anguish?

I think people made way too big of a deal out of it. The comics, which everyone always wants to refer back to, have done far more disservice to the character than this film ever did..