Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Control said:

Ok, I think I misunderstood that description: I thought it was saying that you could buy those for 50% off with the subscription, but it’s actually saying that you’re paying 50% up front and getting those movies, right? And then coupons for other releases.

In any event, while VS specializes in the types of films I like to watch, I don’t think it actually has that many I’d like to own (at least, in pricey special edition format). 

Yes.  I've toyed with the idea of getting the subscription, but then that runs the risk of it being a year that I wouldn't want anything they put out.  Granted, I think if I had it all to do over again, I would have jumped on last year's.  But that's the gamble.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nate said:

Yes.  I've toyed with the idea of getting the subscription, but then that runs the risk of it being a year that I wouldn't want anything they put out.  Granted, I think if I had it all to do over again, I would have jumped on last year's.  But that's the gamble.

What did you pick up this year/are you gonna pick up anything on Black Friday?

Against my better judgement, I dipped into the Criterion sale and grabbed PARASITE, POLICE STORY, and THE HIDDEN FORTRESS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Control said:

What did you pick up this year/are you gonna pick up anything on Black Friday?

Against my better judgement, I dipped into the Criterion sale and grabbed PARASITE, POLICE STORY, and THE HIDDEN FORTRESS.

Yeah, I'm in for a few releases.  On my list, so far: Dial Code Santa Claus; Disco Godfather; Grave Robbers (the Spanish one, not Graverobbers).  Might also get Blood Games.

Last year, I flipped over the fuckin moon when they released Spookies.  That was a bucket list title.  I have high hopes that they will one day release Blood Salvage.  

I also took advantage of the Criterion sale, as well as the concurrently running Arrow sale on B&N.  Snagged Great Dictator, A Face in the Crowd, and Jake Speed.  I have three paydays this month, so I might dip back into the Criterion sale water since the sale ends on the 30th.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Control said:

I’m thinking of DIAL CODE SANTA CLAUSE myself (and after your comment, maybe SPOOKIES—which I’ve never heard of).

I hope you won't be disappointed by Spookies.  After watching it, check out the making of.  Its production history is as fascinating as the movie itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Y’all see this shit?

https://www.millcreekent.com/products/hammer-film-set
 

Hammer Films Ultimate Collection features:

The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960)
The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1963)
These Are The Damned (1962)
The Old Dark House (1963)
The Gorgon (1964)
The Snorkel (1958)
Maniac (1963)
Die! Die! My Darling (1965)
Scream of Fear (1961)
Stop Me Before I Kill! (1961)
Never Take Candy From A Stranger (1960)
Cash On Demand (1961)
The Stranglers of Bombay (1960)
The Terror of the Tongs (1961)
The Pirates of Blood River (1962)
Sword of Sherwood Forest (1960)
The Camp on Blood Island (1958)
Yesterday's Enemy (1959)
Creatures the World Forgot (1971)

 

Currently $56 on Deep Discount: https://www.deepdiscount.com/hammer-films-the-ultimate-collection/683904894618

Edited by Control
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2020 at 12:21 AM, nate said:

 

Last year, I flipped over the fuckin moon when they released Spookies.  That was a bucket list title.  I have high hopes that they will one day release Blood Salvage.  

 

What’s the deal with Blood Salvage? I see it was added to Hoopla yesterday.

Edited by Control
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2020 at 8:58 PM, Control said:

What’s the deal with Blood Salvage? I see it was added to Hoopla yesterday.

It is, in my opinion, a very well done Texas Chainsaw Massacre clone.

It stars John Saxon.

It was produced by Evander Holyfield, who also had a small part in the film as a carnival journeyman who fought townies for cash.

It's an exemplary B-movie.  I recommend it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@nateseems like the guy to ask about Vinegar Syndrome’s January package:

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/products/january-2021-package?_pos=1&_sid=d0cc6d3fe&_ss=r


Satan's Blood [Blu-ray] 
Cthulhu Mansion [Blu-ray] 
Dark Tower [Blu-ray] 
The House of Usher [Blu-ray] 

Seen any of them? (Can’t actually figure out which Usher it is)

 

The BlacK Friday reveals were 

SILENT MADNESS

DON'T PANIC

ACTION U.S.A.

MARTIAL LAW 1 & 2

The trailer for ACTION USA has me intrigued 

 

Edited by Control
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Control said:

@nateseems like the guy to ask about Vinegar Syndrome’s January package:

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/products/january-2021-package?_pos=1&_sid=d0cc6d3fe&_ss=r


Satan's Blood [Blu-ray] 
Cthulhu Mansion [Blu-ray] 
Dark Tower [Blu-ray] 
The House of Usher [Blu-ray] 

Seen any of them? (Can’t actually figure out which Usher it is)

 

The BlacK Friday reveals were 

SILENT MADNESS

DON'T PANIC

ACTION U.S.A.

MARTIAL LAW 1 & 2

The trailer for ACTION USA has me intrigued 

 

I can tell you that I'll probably be getting Cthulhu Mansion and Dark Tower at some point.  Of the Black Friday films, I'm leaning toward Silent Madness and possibly Don't Panic.

I had higher hopes for this year, on the price reduction side.  Two of the Spanish horrors didn't get halved so I skipped them.  Bit on Dial Code Santa Claus, Blood Games, and Disco Godfather.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Edgar Allan Poe's The House of Usher is a 1989 film produced by Harry Alan Towers.

It's got Oliver Reed and Donald Pleasance and little else.

I'm sure they have a beautiful transfer of the film, but there's only so much that can be done with this one.

I like some of the stuff Towers has been involved in, but this ain't one of them.

Even with Reed and Pleasance chewing the scenery, and they feast, it's a dud.

I'd buy at $10.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this fits better here or the streaming thread, but right now Full Moon has a deal where if you sign up for one year of their streaming service (60 bucks) you get a code the following Friday for their webstore where you can get a 12 disc, 11 film Puppet Master Blu-ray box set for free.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, New Blood said:

I spent some money on the Vinegar Syndrome sale. 
 

Beware My Brethren

Blue Vengeance

Taboo

Ms. Magnificent

Best Friends

Liquid Assets

L.A. Wars

I'd preordered BEASTMASTER, and ended up adding DIAL CODE SANTA CLAUS, SPOOKIES, and ACTION USA. Pretty excited, actually. Also getting TREMORS sometime this month. Good times.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 12/1/2020 at 10:16 AM, New Blood said:

I spent some money on the Vinegar Syndrome sale. 
 

Beware My Brethren

Blue Vengeance

Taboo

Ms. Magnificent

Best Friends

Liquid Assets

L.A. Wars

I’m curious about Best Friends and LA Wars myself. Watched either yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2020 at 6:50 PM, odessasteps said:

Did anyone get Crash? It dropped today. 

I may end up double-dipping.  I have the unrated WB DVD in the atrocious old cardboard case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...