DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

I got three Melville films: BOB LA FLAMBEUR, UN FLIC, and LE DOULOS.

I don’t actually know anything about RAIDERS OF ATLANTIS, except that people seem pretty excited.

Edited by Control
  • Haha 1

Same, about RAIDERS.

Those Kino films are very good editions, I have them.  Excellent purchases.

23 minutes ago, Control said:

I got three Melville films: BOB LA FLAMBEUR, UN FLIC, and LE DOULOS.

I don’t actually know anything about RAIDERS OF ATLANTIS, except that people seem pretty excited.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nate said:

Same, about RAIDERS.

Those Kino films are very good editions, I have them.  Excellent purchases.

LE DOULOS is the only one I haven’t seen before. I think I’m more of a fan of UN FLIC than most.

• Like 1

Severin sale stuff 

The Brand New Titles (aka Severin’s Nuclear Warheads)

Here are the NINE New Release Titles that will be debuting at our Mid Year Sale:

Jess Franco’s The House of Lost Women [2-Disc Limited Edition Blu-ray + CD Soundtrack] $28/Region Free

Jess Franco’s Black Boots, Leather Whip [Blu-ray] $24/Region Free

Lucio Fulci’s Warriors of the Year 2072 [2-Disc Limited Edition Blu-ray] $28/Region A

Guy Magar’s Retribution [3-Disc Limited Edition Blu-ray w/Slipcover + CD Soundtrack] $36/Region Free

Joe D’Amato’s Endgame [2-Disc Limited Edition Blu-ray + CD Soundtrack] $28/Region A

Mark Savage’s The Masturbating Gunman [Blu-ray] $20/Region Free

Ruggero Deodato’s Raiders of Atlantis [Blu-ray] $24/Region A

****************************** [3-Disc Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD Digipack w/Slipcover] $45/Region Free

MYSTERY BLU-RAY TITLE [VERY Limited Edition 2-Disc Blu-ray with an unpromotable Slipcover] 

The UHD is BLOOD FOR DRACULA.

Edited by Control
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Control said:

Severin sale stuff 

The UHD is BLOOD FOR DRACULA.

Really hating that the releases I want are limited editions.  Nate ain't got money like that to spend ....

Eureka is also doing a Johnny Guitar bluray, using the Olive Signature remaster from a few years ago. It still bothers me that I bought the regular Olive release and a month later they announced they were remastering it.

Apparently Studiocanal are re-releasing quite a few films in updated/current physical formats this year. I found this clip in a Bloody Disgusting post announcing that they're finally putting out the very unavailable Near Dark again. Films are listed within:

On 6/11/2021 at 11:16 AM, Control said:

I can’t imagine I’ll order directly from Kino Lorber again. They seem to have problems shipping to Canada. I ordered in March: they provided the wrong tracking number, and 8 weeks later when I hadn’t received it, they claimed I’d given them an incorrect address.

It was my verified PayPal address.

They said they’d resend and update me with tracking. When I didn’t hear from them in two weeks, I checked in and they said that there was a problem with *that* order too, so they sent out a third shipment three weeks ago, and it seems completely stalled in the mail system.

I order from lots of places, and never encountered those types of delays.

Second and third shipment both showed up, so I’ve got doubles.

Incidentally, Kino is having a sale on Blu-rays, starting today. I probably won’t order from them again, but if you’re American there are lots of great options.

3 hours ago, Control said:

Second and third shipment both showed up, so I’ve got doubles.

Incidentally, Kino is having a sale on Blu-rays, starting today. I probably won’t order from them again, but if you’re American there are lots of great options.

Yes, amusingly titled the "June Swoon" sale.  Because calling it the "Goddammit You Are Going To Buy 100 Rifles or 6th Man Eventually, Asshole" sale was too on the nose.

• Like 1

Arrow releases for September

The 50s sci-fi set is a nice idea, though I doubt I’d cough up that much money for it.** THE SNAKE GIRL AND THE SILVER-HAIRED WITCH sounds like fun.

**UPDATE: I just preordered it, so I guess I have about 48 hrs of impulse control in me.

Edited by Control

prior to COVID, blu-rays accounted for closer to half of the discs sold. The pandemic saw a big explosion of DVD purchases. This is the healthiest chunk of the market I’ve seen blu take for a while.

Cool that it comes with the ticket, but it would be even cooler if it came with the mask. Or a single claw! (or, I guess, a coke can and a razor blade haha)

I watched the second one again the other night and it's still really fun. The pimp showing up again as a fitness instructor was nice, as was the soundtrack having the Smiths and the Cult on it instead of the metal of the first one. 

• Like 1

I’ve never seen the second one! I only recently saw the first DEMONS, and it’s really just a very successful, straight-forward horror flick of the 80s gore variety.

The Arrow edition looked a lot cooler, but I’m happy to grab this one.

• Like 1

This time it takes place in an apartment high rise with the demons coming into the real world through a movie playing on TV. It's somewhat of a carbon copy, with people trying to escape the building like the first one, but it feels a little less claustrophobic. Still gory as fuck. 

You probably already knew this but The Church was originally Demons 3, thus some of the similarities.