DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

4 hours ago, Control said:

As for the VS sale, got FADE TO BLACK, SILENT MADNESS, GRAVE ROBBERS, SUDDEN FURY, RAW FORCE, and TAMMY AND THE T-REX.

These are all (researched) blind buys for me. After watching a number of disappointing VS releases on Tubi today, though, I am second-guessing myself.

Yeah, it is. I expected to like it more actually but it's still good. The image of a mustachioed Tim Thomerson busting out and doing lines of coke right in front of a complete stranger stuck with me. 

EDIT: Oh and the NC-17 Tammy and the T-Rex is a perfectly fine buy. More of a Troma film than anything PG.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I didn't feel a huge need to get the newest stuff. I know it'll be there in November and I'll probably pick them up then when the discount is better. I went heavy on the sets with the Cardona Set, and the first two Gialli volumes. 

Thought about the homegrown horror and the TV movie set, but I think they're top of the list for down the line.

I'm starting to amass a significant Linnea Quigly collection much to my surprise. Can't tell if this is a good thing or not.

• Like 2

On 6/6/2021 at 5:13 PM, Control said:

Some of you weirdos might like Severin’s offerings.

They do have good stuff.  I think some of there most recent stuff that I have my eyeballs on - "Dia de la Bestia", "Perdita Durango" and "Nosferatu in Venice" - is too new to be discounted this go-around.  But I've gotten lots of stuff from them and they seem to be good people.

• Like 1

I can’t imagine I’ll order directly from Kino Lorber again. They seem to have problems shipping to Canada. I ordered in March: they provided the wrong tracking number, and 8 weeks later when I hadn’t received it, they claimed I’d given them an incorrect address.

It was my verified PayPal address.

They said they’d resend and update me with tracking. When I didn’t hear from them in two weeks, I checked in and they said that there was a problem with *that* order too, so they sent out a third shipment three weeks ago, and it seems completely stalled in the mail system.

I order from lots of places, and never encountered those types of delays.

• Sad 1

On 6/11/2021 at 10:16 AM, Control said:

I can’t imagine I’ll order directly from Kino Lorber again. They seem to have problems shipping to Canada. I ordered in March: they provided the wrong tracking number, and 8 weeks later when I hadn’t received it, they claimed I’d given them an incorrect address.

It was my verified PayPal address.

They said they’d resend and update me with tracking. When I didn’t hear from them in two weeks, I checked in and they said that there was a problem with *that* order too, so they sent out a third shipment three weeks ago, and it seems completely stalled in the mail system.

I order from lots of places, and never encountered those types of delays.

Not a movie, but I currently have a package that went from Detroit to Lansing to my hometown post office on on the 10th, was supposed to be delivered on the 11th.

On the morning of the 12th it arrived... Back in Detroit.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Contentious C said:

My brain is a weird place.

I had a dream the other night that Criterion chose to release Wonder Woman 1984 and I finally understood what it felt like to see a movie on their list that was worse than Armageddon.

There is no way in hell the medicore 1984 is worse than Armageddon

Armageddon is awesome. Not as good as Independence Day tho.

Coincidentally I had a dream last night about Criterion too. Dreamed I bought a disc from them. It came in the mail, I can't remember which one. And the label to the actual bluray was a sticker that had been placed on the wrong side of the disc. I just remember being so flabbergasted that it was sent to me like that. Like the sticker wasn't centered and the part that was off was just folded over to stick on the right side. Like someone saw it, knew it was a mess job, and tried to clean it up with minimal effort.

I'm sure this says a lot about me.

On 6/13/2021 at 9:47 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Update: it has went back to Lansing and now left Lansing again...

Update: it's now out for delivery so it just got a nice extra few days of travel around Michigan

I asked the Severin Facebook commenters for feedback on this film, for a blind buyer.  No reply yet.  Is this a good pick-up?

The second Kino shipment arrived. If I get doubles I’ll probably gift them to a friend or the library.

Just curious, what'd ya get?

Also, Target is running a B2G1F til June 19.