DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

Arrow is also putting out Daiei's first Tokusatsu, the charmingly inept Warning From Space, later this year.

I'm hoping with the success of the Gamera set, and with them having that one as well, maybe a really good Daimajin trilogy set could follow.

On 8/22/2020 at 2:44 PM, Brian Fowler said:

One last "buy Gamera now" note: apparently the discs are coded for both region A and B, and the US and UK sets are thus identical except on things like rating symbols, but the discs will play in both regions fine.

That said, holy hell I've never seen the first Gamera film look so good. And the set is absurd. And so much bonus features. Putting film quality aside, just in terms of presentation and thoroughness, this blows away the Criterion Godzilla box. Not all Criterion's fault, as Toho won't allow bonus features made out of house (or new remasters, for that matter) but Arrow went HARD.

What is the best Gamera film?

56 minutes ago, Control said:

What is the best Gamera film?

For my money, Gamera 3: The Revenge of Iris (or Return of Irys, depending on who is translating it) but the entire 90's trilogy is excellent.

The original 8 movies range from "okayish" to "charmingly inept" to "literally one of the five worst movies I've ever seen" and I've never watched Gamera the Brave from 2006.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 7:58 AM, driver said:

That was a staple of 70's "Son of Svenghoulie" shows. 
"Gamera is headed towards BERWYN! Oh wait, no one ever heads there!"

God, I'm old and I remember when Rich Koz was still "Son of Svengoolie." Local 70s Chicago TV ruled the fucking school.

I'll always be partial to "Gamera vs Zigra" because it was my favorite of the MST3K Gamera experiments, and because it spawned this objectively awesome piece of music (S/O @Rev Ray).

• Like 1

And it's still Rich Koz doing it. He has to be at least 70. Loved CH. 32 back then. The other thing that has been stuck in my mind since then were the commercials for Empire Carpet. "1-800-EMPIRE!"

12 hours ago, driver said:

And it's still Rich Koz doing it. He has to be at least 70. Loved CH. 32 back then. The other thing that has been stuck in my mind since then were the commercials for Empire Carpet. "1-800-EMPIRE!"

Ahem.

Spoiler

EMPIRE

Turn in your Chicago card. Now. I bet you put ketchup on your red-hots when no one is looking too.

• Haha 1

Ketchup? But I'm not behind! I won't even allow it in my house, let alone put it on my food. Keep your hands off the red hots, those are mine, ALL MINE!

Pretty sure my "Chicago card" started in '75 the first time I watched wrestling from the International Amphitheater on CH. 44. Dick the Bruiser was the first wrestler I knew by name. That's what happens when your dad is also a wrasslin' fan.

It's been 40 yrs, so excuse the fur par on the phone number. Now that I see the actual number I have that jingle playing in my head. Thanks, Pete. Thanks a lot!

Heh.

19 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Paramount are releasing a 46 disc Blu-ray box of the complete original Mission: Impossible series in November.

If only i didn't have them already. I dont know what kind of new extras they could include. 

• 2 weeks later...

My ban on buying discs is officially over.

I got the new Arrow Elvira blu and MVD Rewind's release of Split Second (a great Rutger Hauer hunts an Alien movie in the wild future of...2008!)

Also preordered the Friday the 13th set from Amazon.

• Like 2

Aw man, I would have LOVED Split Second as a kid! Even remember the video box. And I'm gonna love watching it now cuz it's on Youtube. All those movies like Nemesis, I Come In Peace, Cyber Tracker, I love that shit. Cyborg was actually on TV this morning and I hooked the replay up to record tonight.