DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

I've still got all my old VHS. I get rid of nothing, so hey. Plus there is so much stuff that you can't find anywhere that I have. In my tape trading days I had a guy that sent me tapes full of sixth-generation footage of bands, like a Root video you can't find online from their demo days, the Profanatica video where they jerk off on a Bible, high school footage of that awful German band Absurd who ended up killing their teacher's husband and went Nazi in prison, a TON of Mentors video that was completely unwatchable (for the quality, not just the content), obscure horror films like The Burning Moon; I mean these compilations were just out there. I rigged up decks and bootlegged a ton of stuff from video stores. I taped stuff off TV like whole Monstervision marathons and USA Up All Night presentations. One time I ordered from some retailer who had a list of stuff he'd dub for you and just write the name on the label of the tape and it was all obscure gore stuff like the Ilsa films and Caligula: The Untold Story. I don't know why I only have one wrestling tape and that's my five hour Big Japan one, you'd think wrestling would be #1 on the list but all I have is that and Stranglemania 2 that I bought at a Camelot Music. 

Betamax on the other hand? Never even seen a film on one. 

EDIT: I DID record old Raws, Nitros and Thunders though. My favorite one is the Raw with Mick Foley vs. Terry Funk and an LOD/DOA Chicago street fight in the back of the building. I think I got Goldberg winning the belt from Hogan too. In those days I was just more into music though, and horror films -- always horror films. The first tapes I ever owned were Night of the Living Dead, Godzilla vs. Megalon, and a copy of Phantom of the Opera that was broken and my dad had to return to Walmart haha

Edited by Curt McGirt

I have a bunch of wrestling VHS tapes, some Coliseum Home Video stuff that I don't think has made its way to the network yet but maybe it has by now.  I have those 90s specials WWF used to do right before a PPV like SummerSlam Spectacular and all that.  Of course I have SNME, Clashes and RAW/Nitros but all that stuff is pretty much on the network now.  I have some cool stuff like the WCW sleepover marathons they did with Bobby Heenan and co.  

Nothing rare though. 

I had crates of VHS that I "destroyed and threw away" while working at Hollywood Video. As I upgraded and getting a VCR became more difficult I deiced to build  a computer desk out of them. Not just stacking them into a desk shape either. I screwed them together to create legs and the table top was one layer of VHS side by side. It was one solid piece.

It turned out okay as I didn't have the right tools. I was super poor at the time, which is why I built it in the first place as I couldn't afford a regular desk or material like wood.  It sadly didn't survive the move. Part of me wants to raid a goodwill and make a coffee table now that I have a better idea of how to make it.

That sound awesome. I guess it would depend on if you still have the materials though... I mean if you keep the good stuff you don't want to use that unless you're just done with the format. 

EDIT: Nevermind I missed the Goodwill part. My best friend raids ours constantly. He can't get rid of anything either and he's worse than me -- luckily he just got a two story house with full basement to dump shit in. He was living in a two-bedroom with a shoe addict girlfriend and two cats. He has more vinyl than I do. You can imagine.

Edited by Curt McGirt

5 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I had crates of VHS that I "destroyed and threw away" while working at Hollywood Video. As I upgraded and getting a VCR became more difficult I deiced to build  a computer desk out of them. Not just stacking them into a desk shape either. I screwed them together to create legs and the table top was one layer of VHS side by side. It was one solid piece.

https://i.imgflip.com/22jnxz.jpg

Sorry, it just irks me when (possibly) good stuff gets destroyed.

Edited by The Green Meanie

17 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

https://i.imgflip.com/22jnxz.jpg

Sorry, it just irks me when (possibly) good stuff gets destroyed.

No worries. Looking back I have regrets. But I didn't have the time to ebay them, and most of them were caseless. But it was that same urge in you that made me save them from the dumpster in the first place and hang onto to them for 3 years with no room in a tiny Chicago apartment.

Most of the shit that made up the desk was junk that you could find anywhere tho like Snatch or Not Another Teen Movie.

The cool shit I gave away to folks.

The real urge to kill was that hundreds of Hollywood Video stores were told to grab all their VHS's, open each one, cut the tape before throwing them in a dumpster. I think my manager grabbed the kids movies and donated them to an orphanage low key. But I closed one night and I backed the trunk of my car to the front door and loaded up.

• Like 1

The F13 Scream Factory box that officially releases next week is starting to show up for people (though not me yet grrrr) and I'm just so damn pumped for this even though I have purchased every single one of these movies at least twice before this, including the last Blu-ray complete collection...

This set isn't quite the holy miracle the Halloween box was. These have all been assembled together once before, only took working out deals with two studios instead of four, all of the Friday movies had better existent releases than what was out there for the three Miramax Halloween movies, etc...

But, all that said, and despite a few errors that people have noticed, this set is fucking incredible so far. It looks great on my shelf, Part 1 at least looks better than I ever would've thought possible. Watching Part 2 now.

• Like 1

Jealous. I don't think mine will get here until the 15th(amazon.)

My wife who isn't a horror fan has been working her way through the series every Halloween for several years now. All we have left is Jason X and Jason vs. Freddy. I'll probably watch the first one before we tie it all up, just to remember how far we've come.

Otherwise I'm keeping quiet this month, and saving up for November, which will eat my wallet alive. I'll do the Vinegar Syndrome Sale and surely something else. Maybe finally go back to Criterion and get that Varda set.

5 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Scream Factory prices are pretty nice. Sold out of Night of the Comet tho at 9.99.

I ordered The Tenant, The Devil Rides Out, and an upgrade for John Carpenter's Vampires.  They were at the lowest prices I've seen them anywhere.

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

these two sales are about to cripple me. Gotta make a decision and choose one or the other. Would rather choose what finger to cut off.

Still thinking of blind-buying the FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION collection. Also, do I need NIGHT OF THE CREEPS?

• Like 1

Well I just pulled the trigger and got FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION COLLECTION, A BLOODY SPEAR ON MOUNT FUJI, NIGHT OF THE CREEPS, and SOCIETY.

Was probably for the best that I didn't blindbuy the PAUL NASCHY COLLECTION.