DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

We were talking about double dipping earlier, and I rarely ever double dip. I started collecting when I was 17 years old and had a solid collection. Then I got robbed and lost it all. It took me years before I'd buy movies again, and there are still some beloved films from my old collection that I haven't repurchased just because I hate the idea. There are even some movies I desperately want that I won't buy just because I feel like a better edition will come out. For example - I still haven't bought the Exorcist and it's Top 10 favorite horror film for me. I just look at what's out there and I think - one day it'll be better. I can wait. I just heard yesterday that there's a new Friday the 13th Set coming with new special features. I think Scream Factory is doing it. I've never bought those movies so I think this is the set I'll finally get.

But with all that being said, Criterion just announced a set with EVERY Agnes Varda movie and without a second thought - I know I'm buying it. I might not even wait for a sale, I love this director so much. I probably own a dozen of the movies included and it doesn't upset me in the slightest.

10 hours ago, jaedmc said:

We were talking about double dipping earlier, and I rarely ever double dip. I started collecting when I was 17 years old and had a solid collection. Then I got robbed and lost it all. It took me years before I'd buy movies again, and there are still some beloved films from my old collection that I haven't repurchased just because I hate the idea. There are even some movies I desperately want that I won't buy just because I feel like a better edition will come out. For example - I still haven't bought the Exorcist and it's Top 10 favorite horror film for me. I just look at what's out there and I think - one day it'll be better. I can wait. I just heard yesterday that there's a new Friday the 13th Set coming with new special features. I think Scream Factory is doing it. I've never bought those movies so I think this is the set I'll finally get.

But with all that being said, Criterion just announced a set with EVERY Agnes Varda movie and without a second thought - I know I'm buying it. I might not even wait for a sale, I love this director so much. I probably own a dozen of the movies included and it doesn't upset me in the slightest.

Was coming here to mention it immediately after pre-ordering it.

Okay ... this is a labor of love for me.  And I really wanted to share it with people I like,and who get me and my tastes.

I had needed a new set of shelves for movies for a long time.  At one point I was going to make this set of shelves using 2x4s and slats (the video was posted here some time ago); I liked the simplicity of that setup.  Before I could make that, I had to move.

The past few weeks, a shelving system idea came to mind again.  After a few thoughts on the project, and with a work-from-home mandate from my job, I designed, created and assembled a shelving unit that may hold the rest of my collection that's been in boxes for almost a year now.

There's a seventh shelf with polyurethane drying for now, but I just finished the bulk of the work and I'm very pleased.  It's going to be 10'x5.5'.  Theres a spinning rack that I couldn't move so the pics are in two parts.

https://imgur.com/gallery/DbCVqoM

https://imgur.com/gallery/RGoGGdv

• Like 3

Just now, jaedmc said:

AWESOME.

Are those painted PVC pipes? Probably going to steal that.

Absolutely.  Also, I'm sharing wisdom from my folly with all my friends: Paint those pipes AFTER fitting them.  I did not know that it would prevent them from an easier frictionless sitting, and I would have been done last week.

Kino Lorber shipped fast.

From the while supplies last sale I got

A Bullet For Joey - I love Edward G Robinson. In this one he plays a Canadian.

Foreign Intrigue - w/ Robert Mitchum

Stage Struck and Zaza - two Gloria Swanson/Alan Dwan collabs. Trying to expand my Silent Film catalogue.

The Pied Piper - I loved Jacques Demy's fairy tale film Donkey Skin, so I'm down for this one. It's got John Hurt and Donald Pleasance.

Cop Out and Smashing Time - I have a small fascination with swinging 60's design and fashion so I grabbed this. James Mason plays a square cop in a mod world in Cop Out, and Lynn Redgrave and Rita Tushingham(the greatest of all last names) are a couple of gals trying to find fame and fortune in London. I fully anticipate for these movies to not be "good", but sometimes I buy movies for visual inspiration or for documentation of a time period, and I get my own enjoyment from that.

Z.P.G. - Zero Population Growth. Dystopian future flick with Oliver Reed and Geraldine Chaplin. Earth is over populated so they mandate 20 years of no babies. Reed and Chaplin decide their paternal need is more important and have a baby. I'm hoping that the movie gives a figure for its population. I want to see how it compares to what we have now. In 1972 the population was 3.8 billion. It's double that now. I imagine if you went back to 1972 and told people they'd be among nearly 8 billion people in less than 50 years they'd call it science fiction.

• Like 1

Vinegar Syndrom half-way to black friday sale just finished me off. Going to put a moratorium on bluray purchases through the summer. Probably no more until October. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Vinegar Syndrom half-way to black friday sale just finished me off. Going to put a moratorium on bluray purchases through the summer. Probably no more until October. 

i hate to tell all of you but Grindhouse Video is also running a really good sale on Blue Underground editions.  They are very tempting because they have a lot of the 3 disc editions (1 blu for the movie, 1 for just special features, and 1 CD soundtrack) for $17-21). And I figure if I randomly found a CD of the soundtrack for Zombie or something like that at a store for like $10 I would pounce on it. So it's like I'm getting the actual movie and special features for like $7-$10.

At least that's what I told myself when I blew up my paypal on  them at the same time Vinegar Syndrome was going live.

At this point I see the Vinegar syndrome sales as a twice yearly spiritual tithing. It's like once during Spring planting season and once during harvest season you have to cough up your sacrifice to appease the Grindhouse Gods so that the next season will be a fertile one.

I just wish they would accept humans burned up in a big wicker statue of Lucio Fulci instead of just U.S. currency. It would be cheaper and easier to hide the evidence from my wife.

Edited by piranesi
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, piranesi said:

i hate to tell all of you but Grindhouse Video is also running a really good sale on Blue Underground editions.  They are very tempting because they have a lot of the 3 disc editions (1 blu for the movie, 1 for just special features, and 1 CD soundtrack) for $17-21). And I figure if I randomly found a CD of the soundtrack for Zombie or something like that at a store for like $10 I would pounce on it. So it's like I'm getting the actual movie and special features for like $7-$10.

At least that's what I told myself when I blew up my paypal on  them at the same time Vinegar Syndrome was going live.

I saw that and almost picked up Maniac Cop 2 since I just got Maniac Cop 1 from Arrow. I had to stay strong.

7 hours ago, piranesi said:

At this point I see the Vinegar syndrome sales as a twice yearly spiritual tithing. It's like once during Spring planting season and once during harvest season you have to cough up your sacrifice to appease the Grindhouse Gods so that the next season will be a fertile one.

I just wish they would accept humans burned up in a big wicker statue of Lucio Fulci instead of just U.S. currency. It would be cheaper and easier to hide the evidence from my wife.

I pretty much look at it the same way.

After I placed my order I realized that I forgot to get PUNK VACATION with the new slip. My wife said " Just get it over with and do it."

• Haha 1

I got:

Hobgoblins

Psycho Cop Returns

Ice Cream Man

Beyond the Door III

Jack Frost

In my movie nostalgia phase, I'm leaving the "high school senior experimenting with different film genre" phase and entering my "three jobs soon-to-be pre-med washout taking advantage of the five free video rentals at my Prime Time Video job" phase.  Minus the movies in the back room with the camera.

Alright here's what I got: 

Night Train to Terror

Beyond the Door 3(two train movies!)

Evils of the Night

Berserker

Unmasked Part 25

Deadline

Blood Games (lots of murder and lots of baseball? Sign me up I guess.) 

Rad

I think Black Friday sees me getting Blood Games, Body Melt and Old Dracula (I'm also anticipating Warner Archive doing a "4 for $44" sale, so I'm playing the long game).

22 minutes ago, nate said:

Is June the usual month for the Criterion (and now Arrow) sale at B&N?

I think it usually starts the last weekend  of June then runs through July to the first weekend of August. Something like that.

• Thanks 1

I'd be genuinely curious what the market would be if somebody started an imprint releasing the uncensored versions of all those softcore films that USA Up All Night and Cinemax featured back in the 90's.

There does seem to be a market for this stuff: the few softcore titles that got DVD releases years ago go for big bucks on Ebay, and there were a lot of complaints last year after Full Moon licensed a bunch of stuff for their streaming service but it turned out to be the rated/censored versions.

Like if Mill Creek, who's releasing the Andy Sidaris flicks on blu-ray, if they put out a Shannon Tweed collection, would that sell?

40 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

I'd be genuinely curious what the market would be if somebody started an imprint releasing the uncensored versions of all those softcore films that USA Up All Night and Cinemax featured back in the 90's.

There does seem to be a market for this stuff: the few softcore titles that got DVD releases years ago go for big bucks on Ebay, and there were a lot of complaints last year after Full Moon licensed a bunch of stuff for their streaming service but it turned out to be the rated/censored versions.

Like if Mill Creek, who's releasing the Andy Sidaris flicks on blu-ray, if they put out a Shannon Tweed collection, would that sell?

I would imagine so.  I went on the hunt for those titty comedies that Up All Night used to air, and I got the impression that those were quite prized by fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Southside Jim said:

This name didn't go to waste. 

• Haha 1

Was happy to find Unobstructed View, a Canadian distributor for boutique labels. They currently have an Arrow sale: got AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON and the STRAY CAT ROCK box for 50% off.

Edited by Control

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of conflicting info is out there on the Criterion half-off sale that Barnes & Noble runs around this time.

Some forums have people saying that "staff at my local store said" that the sale isn't happening due to stock issues during the pandemic.

However, some other people are calling horseshit on this, that they've contacted the customer service, or "well the staff at MY store said", and there was an Arrow 30% sale last week (granted, Arrow was running a 50% sale concurrent with Criterion's, so I dont know what that means).

Theoretically, next week would be the start of the sale, since it's started on the last Sunday/Monday of June in the past.