DVDVR Message Board

Halloween Havoc pre-thread

Brian Fowler

A couple notes on JT's explanation first: Send the finished reviews to me, don't post them. We're pretty tolerant on what constitutes horror, just don't forget someone has to watch your choice so "it's so bad it's scary" isn't a funny joke. And when you send your choice, include a short explanation why. If there are multiple movies with the same title, please clarify.

That said, let's try to get picks in by Saturday, so I'll have my weekend (Sunday-Monday) to get everything set up and assignments sent.

I'm kind of scrambling like I did last year, watching new stuff to try to come up with something.  I've watched two so far, Nina Forever and The Seventh Victim, and neither of them are really "horror" enough to be my pick.  (LOL at the resolution of The Seventh Victim.  Movies were different in the 1940s.)

I do have a fallback movie though.

23 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I'm kind of scrambling like I did last year, watching new stuff to try to come up with something.  I've watched two so far, Nina Forever and The Seventh Victim, and neither of them are really "horror" enough to be my pick.  (LOL at the resolution of The Seventh Victim.  Movies were different in the 1940s.)

I will probably end up picking the film I want someone else to watch from the Netflix list I posted on Page One of the thread.

I'm leaning towards Last Shift, Wyrmwood, or maybe Let Us Prey, the supernatural horror joint with Pollyanna McIntosh.

If any of us decide to do that we need to make sure it's not the same one. I guess that'll be on Fowler. I mean, it's not like any of us are gonna pick the Toolbox Murders remake or anything, it's gonna be one of probably five movies: Eaten Alive, The Funhouse, Lifeforce which btw totally counts as a horror film, Chainsaw 2, and longshot The Mangler

The Funhouse is a blast for a couple of different reasons. First and foremost Kevin Conway, AKA Seamus O'Reilly, is great in multiple roles but especially as the monster's father. Secondly, the monster is still effective despite how rubbery and lifeless the creature effects look; particularly the mouth on the mask and the awful looking gloves with fixed veins that look nothing like actual hands whenever he frequently maims somebody.  There's also a really creepy dummy that bares an uncanny resemblance to PeeWee Herman in the background  while the monster lets loose on some poor old hustler hag.