DVDVR Message Board

The 2017 Emmys

Dolfan in NYC

22(!) nominations for Westworld and Saturday Night Live.  (And woohoo, 8 nominations for Rupaul's Drag Race!)

And the (important) nominees are:  

Spoiler

Lead Actress in a Drama Series

• Viola Davis, "How to Get Away With Murder"
  • Robin Wright, "House of Cards"
  • Keri Russell, "The Americans"
  • Claire Foy, "The Crown"
  • Elisabeth Moss, "The Handmaid’s Tale"
  • Evan Rachel Wood, "Westworld"

Lead Actor in a Drama Series

• Sterling K. Brown, "This Is Us"
  • Anthony Hopkins, "Westworld"
  • Matthew Rhys, "The Americans"
  • Liev Schreiber, "Ray Donovan"
  • Kevin Spacey, "House of Cards"
  • Milo Ventimiglia, "This Is Us"

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

• Tracee Ellis Ross, "Black-ish"
  • Lily Tomlin, "Grace and Frankie"
  • Pamela Adlon, "Better Things"
  • Ellie Kemper, "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt"
  • Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Veep"
  • Allison Janney, "Mom"
  • Jane Fonda, "Grace and Frankie"

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

• Anthony Anderson, "Black-ish"
  • Jeffrey Tambor, "Transparent"
  • Aziz Ansari, "Master of None"
  • Zach Galifianakis, "Baskets"
  • William H. Macy, "Shameless"
  • Donald Glover, "Atlanta"

Reality Competition

• “The Voice”
  • “The Amazing Race”
  • “Top Chef”
  • “Project Runway”
  • “RuPaul’s Drag Race”
  • “American Ninja Warrior”

Variety Talk Series

Limited Series or Movie

• "Genius"
  • "Fargo"
  • "The Night Of"
  • "Feud: Bette and Joan"
  • "Big Little Lies"

Lead Actress in a Limited Series or a Movie

• Nicole Kidman, "Big Little Lies"
  • Carrie Coon, "Fargo"
  • Jessica Lange, "Feud"
  • Susan Sarandon, "Feud"
  • Felicity Huffman, "American Crime"
  • Reese Witherspoon, "Big Little Lies"

Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie

• Riz Ahmed, "The Night Of"
  • Robert De Niro, "The Wizard of Lies"
  • John Turturro, "The Night Of"
  • Ewan McGregor, "Fargo"
  • Benedict Cumberbatch, "Sherlock: The Lying Detective"
  • Geoffrey Rush, "Genius"

Comedy Series

• "Black-ish"
  • "Atlanta"
  • "Master of None"
  • "Modern Family
  • "Silicon Valley"
  • "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt"
  • "Veep"

Drama Series

• "Better Call Saul"
  • "The Crown"
  • "House of Cards"
  • "This Is Us"
  • "Stranger Things"
  • "Westworld"
  • "The Handmaid’s Tale"

I don't think I'd ever watched the entirety of 4 nominated comedies for the Emmys before (Atlanta, Master of None, Silicon Valley, Veep) but I'm happy they all got nominated.  I've only seen an episode or two of 'Black-ish' but I enjoyed them and understand its nomination.  I've never been a big fan of 'Kimmy Schmidt' but I understand its nomination.  I really wish the beyond tired 'Modern Family' wasn't in there for something like 'Baskets' (An absolutely insane family comedy that somehow manages to be touching while also being the weirdest thing on TV) or 'The Carmichael Show' (With its incredible handling of everyday issues but never really taking a strong stance on them or losing sight of the goal of being funny) but I can't complain when I like four of the 7 nominees.

15 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

I still fucking hate SNL people getting nominated for sitcom Emmys

The nominees are weird across the board.  I mean what difference is there between a 10 episode season of 'Fargo' and a 10 episode season of 'Better Call Saul'?  Apparently enough to make one the former a 'Limited Series' and the latter is a drama series.

I'm not at all surprised but disappointed all the same to see THE LEFTOVERS and LEGION go unrecognized.  But I guess it makes more sense for HBO and FX to throw their weight behind their future blockbuster franchise and their established critical darling, respectively.

The continued love affair with shitty HOUSE OF CARDS is inexcusable, though.  I mean, MODERN FAMILY still gets the token Best Comedy nod, but at least they're not crowding out that category's acting fields anymore.  Get Spacey the fuck out of there.  And get him to take Liev Schrieber with him.

Not surprising that Fargo got a nod, but this season was pretty shit. Ewan was fine, but they didn't give him that much to do. Wasn't impressed with Carrie Coon at all, though I don't watch the Leftovers...

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

No noms for Legion or the final seasons of The Leftovers or Girls and Queen Sugar is not in the Best Drama Series running?

I call bullshit.

Wouldn't Legion and The Leftovers fall outside of the time frame for nominations this year? Or am I wrong? If I'm wrong, those are glaring oversights.

Milo Ventimiglia needs to win Lead Actor. Dude was straight up amazing in This Is Us.

I've never seen Baskets, but I love Zach Galifianakis so I want him to win just because.

Finally - Last Week Tonight with John Oliver really deserves the Best Variety Talk Series award. They do 15-25 minute segments, weekly, on important subjects (or boring ones and make them super interesting somehow).

• Like 2

Leftovers and Legion were both in the eligibility window.

Oliver won last year, but will probably get beaten out by Colbert, who's got the zeitgeist behind him right now.

Speaking of...what a difference a year makes.  Last year, Colbert wasn't even nominated, Fallon was king, and everyone was writing his late night obituarary.  This year, he's the favorite to win and Fallon isn't nominated.

How does The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks get a nom for Drama but no Best Actress nod for Oprah?

Some folks are outraged that the previous season of Mr. Robot went unheralded, but IMO the writing hit a plateau and was a little on the contrite side.

BD Wong as Whiterose and Joey Bada$$ as Leon were the bright spots in an otherwise formulaic season.

Walking Dead snubbed?  Eh.... I mostly snoozed through the episodes that didn't have enough Stephen Ogg or Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

7 hours ago, EVA said:

Leftovers and Legion were both in the eligibility window.

Oliver won last year, but will probably get beaten out by Colbert, who's got the zeitgeist behind him right now.

Speaking of...what a difference a year makes.  Last year, Colbert wasn't even nominated, Fallon was king, and everyone was writing his late night obituarary.  This year, he's the favorite to win and Fallon isn't nominated.

Then that's a huge omission and they should be ashamed. I'm assuming this award cycle was for S3 of the Leftovers, and in that case... ehh. Maybe Justin Theroux should get a Lead Actor in a Drama Series role, but honestly I wasn't too thrilled with this season in hindsight. No fuckin' excuse for Legion though - I bet if it wasn't based off a comic book character, it would get nominated.

John Oliver still deserves to win again this year. Like I said, I'm not privy to how these award cycles work, I'm assuming they're nominated for last season... and if that's the case, last season was tremendous. Hell, even this half of the season has been pretty stellar. Oliver and his team do actual reporting and investigating (and some really good heartwarming things - buying off medical debt, etc). I love Colbert right now, I can see why his show might be polarizing depending on what side of the aisle the viewer is on. Starting with his election night special and going from there, he's been on fire and I really won't be mad if he wins. If it's not John Oliver or Stephen Colbert, though... fuck that noise. MAYBE Samantha Bee is acceptable, but that's really it. Bill Maher's show is great more often than not due to his guests, not him. I've never even watched an episode of Corden, and I only watch Kimmel when he's doing something with Marvel.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2017 at 5:45 AM, odessasteps said:

No major GOT nominations seems odd. Did season six fall out of the window? 

Didnt air in the time frame.

Freddie Highmore not being nominated for Bates Motel is the most egregious snub.