DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

13 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The UNC:  Missing Survey Team mission in the Hades Gamma cluster involves Husks as does the UNC:  Derelict Freighter mission in the Caspian System of the Maroon Sea cluster.

You can get the Missing Survey Team mission by listening to the extranet news blurbs while riding the elevators on the Citadel, but Derelict Freighter unlocks after Feros and I think you have to find it by exploration.  It is a mission you can miss if you don't investigate all available planetary systems as you unlock more clusters to patrol.

Yeah, Missing Survey Team was the one I did. I'll keep my eyes open for the Derelict Freighter after finishing Feros.

Finished up Geth incursion missions. im so overpowered i was just running around and meleeing the geth jobbers for fun. Im sure JT would yell at me for it. 

May do Father Kyle later tonight. 

While irritating that it’s gonna take me the extra time, glad I have another play through to clean this one up.

Forgot about Dr Michel’s blackmailer and since I can’t talk to Admiral Kahoku that little thread is gonna have to wait

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Finished up Geth incursion missions. im so overpowered i was just running around and meleeing the geth jobbers for fun. Im sure JT would yell at me for it. 

Why?  If you are that overpowered you may as well get in your risk free melee killls.  You'll need them for the Brawler achievement anyway.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

While irritating that it’s gonna take me the extra time, glad I have another play through to clean this one up.

Forgot about Dr Michel’s blackmailer and since I can’t talk to Admiral Kahoku that little thread is gonna have to wait

Eh, the lead ultimately dead ends with Anderson even if you get through the whole dialogue sequence.  You don't find out anything else about Banes until ME3 and only if Dr. Michel is your ship's doctor.  Whatever you decide to do at this point in ME1 won't really change anything.

It's easy to get this quest all tangled up if you find the planet with the dead marines before you get a chance to talk to Kahoku about the mission.  Once you get back to your ship after reporting the deaths to Kahoku, he rats out Cerberus and leaves the Citadel.  If you haven't done Dr. Michel's blackmailer quest by then, things get weird.  Dr. Michel will tell you about Banes and your next lead from Anderson will go nowhere because Kahoku will already be gonbe.

Legendary leveling *really* skews once you get up past 15.  I went from being pretty balanced running around doing stuff, then slowly realizing I'm way overpowered for everything (Feros is a fucking joke with Tali at Master Hacking and Tali, Garrus, and Shep all at High end Overloads/Sabotage).  

l spent the last 40 minutes speed running the beginning of ME1 because I needed the Keeper (!) entry in the Codex for the Archivist trophy. And the only save I had was right at the final Saren fight, or immediately after you leave the Citadel with the help of Anderson. So I was fucked. I did use those saves to spam the AI Hacking and Neural Shock powers to get those trophies (ended up going to some planet and just cheating, using Neural Shock on the Mako).

but I got the platinum for ME1, so yay! Now maybe the trophies on PS5 for the second game will actually show when I press the PS button, instead of showing the trophies I needed for ME1 and it taunting me every time until it drove me back into the cruel embrace of the first game to finish my 100% run. Ugh.

35 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Eh, the lead ultimately dead ends with Anderson even if you get through the whole dialogue sequence.  You don't find out anything else about Banes until ME3 and only if Dr. Michel is your ship's doctor.  Whatever you decide to do at this point in ME1 won't really change anything.

Have you just met me?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Have you just met me?

Holy shit, dude.   You've played this trilogy how many times and you are still worried about narrative sequence?  

Your wife yells at you about this, doesn't she?

Just now, J.T. said:

Your wife yells at you about this, doesn't she?

No, she yells at me for things like not shoving Ashley out an airlock yet

Finished up Feros yesterday and nearly, just nearly missed on out on the little extra assignment from one of ExoGeni workers where he wanted you to his data from the facility. I had already cleared out the Geth from that place and knocked the claw off the building so all I had to do was drive back and get the data.

I'm also surprised at two things with that mission: 1) I completed the entire Thorian part without a single colonizer dying and 2) There's no trophy for doing that?! The lack of any sort of trophy is weird because there's so many times Garrus or Tali could have killed a regular human and we essentially saved everyone instead.

The shit you do and don't get trophies for in ME1 continues to baffle me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Finished up Feros yesterday and nearly, just nearly missed on out on the little extra assignment from one of ExoGeni workers where he wanted you to his data from the facility. I had already cleared out the Geth from that place and knocked the claw off the building so all I had to do was drive back and get the data.

I'm also surprised at two things with that mission: 1) I completed the entire Thorian part without a single colonizer dying and 2) There's no trophy for doing that?! The lack of any sort of trophy is weird because there's so many times Garrus or Tali could have killed a regular human and we essentially saved everyone instead.

The shit you do and don't get trophies for in ME1 continues to baffle me.

I have done this many times and it takes serious grenade throwing skills to get through the Zhu's Hope raid without killing any civilians.  I am impressed!

And yes, there should be a fucking trophy for that feat.

Or it takes no grenade skill as you just melee everyone *cough* *cough*

The biotics with the drugged scientists is WAY tougher

Took me 4 retries at that one (though to be fair part of that was because of the bug where dudes never come out of cover and the scientists had created an unintentional human shield around him)

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I have done this many times and it takes serious grenade throwing skills to get through the Zhu's Hope raid without killing any civilians.  I am impressed!

And yes, there should be a fucking trophy for that feat.

When the mission was first being given to you and the one woman suggestions using a nerve agent, I though, shit, they're going to suggest using grenades for this and grenades in this game are BUSTED. Sure enough, yeah, let's just use a grenade mod!

I very nearly messed up too. On one part there are two colonists who haven't turned that are to the right and one is to the left and all three are hiding behind structures. If I ran up, Tali would just shotgun them to death. Plus, you have to conserve grenades because I didn't find any extra ones lying around that area. So I botched it and threw one grenade at those three people that didn't hit any of them. I had to waste a second grenade. I then got to the computer and was trying to use it, but it kept saying I couldn't do that in combat. Found the last person hiding a little bit away from the computer and I thankfully had one grenade left.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Took me 4 retries at that one (though to be fair part of that was because of the bug where dudes never come out of cover and the scientists had created an unintentional human shield around him)

I keep forgetting melee is a thing because it never does anything. It never crossed my mind until you mentioned it that I could take them out in a non-lethal way.

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Hey, don't hate on my grenade skills just because you don't have any.   I really think they should've counted melee attacks as murders, otherwise why have a gas grenade option? 

It makes no sense that you can forearm a Husk in the head and kill it while the Zhu's Hope hostages can survive a shot to the skull from a man wearing ceramic armor. 

The game does not distinguish between melee kills and subduals, but it DOES say that the gas grenades are a non-lethal option.

I warned everyone about that like a page or two ago.  No one reads.

Edited by J.T.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

I warned everyone about that like a page or two ago.  No one reads.

I read... it is my ability to retain information that is suspect

• Thanks 1

BioWare may totally redeem themselves with this game.

I visited Local Cluster in ME2 before heading into the office and noticed that the devs used the latest NASA images from Pluto to revise the terrain skin.  You will notice a huge difference when you scan Pluto. 

Don't make me lie, but I seem to remember back in 2015 where some probe we shot out into space took color photos of Pluto and apparently some smart guy at BioWare decided they should update LE to be as astronomically accurate as possible.

It is encouraging that BioWare is once again showing that they actually care about the games they produce.  I can let it slide that they didn't update Pluto in ME1 since you cannot scan any of the planets in the game.

Edited by J.T.

Well considering ME2 came out in 2010...  I think you are confusing 2 and 3

Nope.  Pluto has been revised in the ME2 part of LE so that it is more in line with the 2015 color images. 

I imagine that Pluto will be the same in ME3 once I get to that stage of the trilogy in LE.

I may have confused you when I didn't qualify which version of ME2 I was talking about:  stand alone vs. LE edition.

Edited by J.T.

It was the 2015 part - I thought you were saying ME2 came out then and they were lazy for not including the new images

Though in general - I can always imagine EA being a stumbling block towards accuracy

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It was the 2015 part - I thought you were saying ME2 came out then and they were lazy for not including the new images.

Nah, BioWare did their homework for LE.  I was impressed.

As far as pushing Ashley out of an airlock goes,  if you don't snuff her at Virmire during ME1, you still have an opportunity in ME3 to blow her brains out on the Citadel after Udina finally shows his true colors.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

it occurred to me today that if you’d told me back in 2013 that in 2021 I’d be alternating between Mass Effect and GTA, I probably would’ve anticipated you meant GTA7 and ME6

I honestly thought we'd all be stealing shit in Vice City by now.  It will be weird hunting white dots again without Burke.