DVDVR Message Board

The Mass Effect thread

Finally broke 4000 for my N7 rating.

Starting to realize that I am now smashing into the leaderboard section with the people who are playing all the time like me so that might help slam the brakes on the I WILL BREAK THE TOP 1000 ON ALL THE LISTS!!!! goal

As I said to JT - I should be hitting a couple of major challenge point goals in the next week (Spectre and N7 alone are good for another like 800 points). If I don't make a big jump up the list then I willl probably pack it in

Aw, you missed the point and didn't get your choice of 2439823749832 endings, which was physically impossible.

We get it.  

Now I know what you all feel like when I bitch about the end of Winter Solider.

Aw, you missed the point and didn't get your choice of 2439823749832 endings, which was physically impossible.

We get it.

Now I know what you all feel like when I bitch about the end of Winter Solider.

Okay, seriously, fuck this.

What. Fucking. Point? Is it the "Hey, let's use the laziest plot point possible by introducing a character in the last 5 minutes that was secretly the one behind everything, and thus completely devaluing the Reapers as a threat?" point? Or how about the "Turn the entire main point of the series into a bullshit lesson about how people of different cultures can never co-exist, even if it spits in the face of everything the story has been beforehand" point? Or, even better, is it the "Don't give the option to question this "higher powers" view of the world, just having to sit down and take it." Point?

We get the point. It was just fucking awful and didn't fit the series at all. Add in that before they added content, the original endings difference literally came down to a different colored explosion, and yeah, fuck the ending. Blame Bioware for making public statements that were just flat out untrue.

Or, realize that the ending was "Shepard stops the cycle of the Reapers destroying the Galaxy which was gonna happen if he sat on his/her ass" and had three different ways to do it.  Which is actually what happened, and totally made sense in the narrative.

Bioware's got some blame for being vague on their promises, but fans are equally to blame for unrealistic expectations and subsequent temper tantrum when they didn't get their way.

I just played the damn series in one go, everything was fine and made sense.  

The main point of the series were these things were coming to literally revert the galaxy back to the stone age, and during the course of the 3 games, you learn why.  Fuck, you even get the "two cultures will come to blows" shit DURING THE DAMN GAME with the Quaran and Geth.  

If you really want, I can dissect all four endings, and how they made perfect sense and totally jived with the narrative of the game and why you're wrong, but you probably won't listen anyway and just keep crying that you didn't get 1000 choices for the ending reflecting every choice you made (choices which actually *did* affect many aspects of the games) and that it all sucked and the writers deserved all the fanboy ungratefulness because they didn't get it their way.

Newsflash, its not your fucking story, its theirs.  

I'll miss this place.

Oh so much in your post that was completely shows that you were not actually a ME fan when any of this was happening.

Fanboys are wrong to be upset, when it was fucking quotes from the development team themselves that raised expectations to begin with. Some samples for you.

"As Mass Effect 3 is the end of the planned trilogy, the developers are not constrained by the necessity of allowing the story to diverge, yet also continue into the next chapter. This will result in story that diverges into wildly different conclusions based on the player's actions in the first two chapters."

"How could you go through all here campaigns playing as your Shepard and then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets?"

"BioWare will not do a "Lost" and leave fans with more questions than answers after finishing the game"

"It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C."

How can you blame fans for having there expectations raised by the developers themselves, and then feel bad when it's revealed they weren't being honest.

Also, I never fucking cared why the Reapers were doing what they were doing. Maybe because I knew there could never be an answer that wouldn't suck. Tons of great villains/monsters are better left without back story because there is never, ever a satisfying way to give them one. As for the Geth/Quarians, yes, they came to blows. But in the end, the vast amount of players got a peaceful resolution between them. If your ending is based on something you can disprove earlier in the same game, it's not a good ending.

Also, I really don't need you to get onto a fucking high horse and explain the fucking endings to me and what they mean or such nonsense. Smarter then you have taken the stance before.

Oh, and go fuck yourself. If I want someone to talk down to me, I'd ask,

tl;dr, I'm not a true enough fan of the series because I'm not raging over a promise that I should've known was totally unrealistic and impossible to deliever on, and I should just accept that they suck because true fans feel that.  Sorry, my bad.

Anyway, moving out of fanrage...

Vanguard is an awesome class, but I'm finding its lack of First Aid to be annoying.

Also its amazing how much shit I missed the first time, even when I tried to take my time.

I ended up gaming with a family again over the weekend

This one was amusing since it was what appeared to be a Dad, his teenage son and pre-teen daughter (I would say probably around 10 or so)

I get put into the room using my Level 1 Salarian Engineer and the girl is immediately HE IS LEVEL ONE!!! WE MUST PROTECT HIM!!! And this kept happening as we were playing.

Finally the Dad was like "His N7 rating is over 4000, his challenge points are over 46000 and he currently has the most points - I think he knows what he is doing."

And the son didn't say anything except when he decided he needed to mock his sister for something.

Mass Effect 3 - bringing families together

• Like 1

So what is the general opinion on the ending here? I ask because this is a series I'm kind of interested in, but the sheer hatred I see for the ending elsewhere has kind of scared me of it. I worry about going through three likely lengthy games only to be extraordinarily pissed at the end. Keep in mind though that I did actually like DA2' ending.

So what is the general opinion on the ending here? I ask because this is a series I'm kind of interested in, but the sheer hatred I see for the ending elsewhere has kind of scared me of it. I worry about going through three likely lengthy games only to be extraordinarily pissed at the end. Keep in mind though that I did actually like DA2' ending.

Even if that happens (it will), the ride along the way is well worth it. Play Mass Effect. Now.

Your milage may vary.  I just played through all three and loved it.  Reading more opinions of people that hated it seemed to solely stem from being let down from Dev hype.  I mean, I know people that have played through it multiple times, and I'm on number 2.  Regardless on how you feel at the end, Fresh is right, the whole ride on the way is a fantastic bit of storytelling and well worth the effort.