DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2017 - SPRING TRAINING~!

Dolfan in NYC

One of the most welcome days of the year is today.  

Pitchers and Catchers report for Cleveland, Tampa, and New York. 

Also, Brandon Phillips is about to be traded to the Braves for ???  (He has a full no-trade, so he may block the deal if he wants to.)

16 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

One of the most welcome days of the year is today.  

Pitchers and Catchers report for Cleveland, Tampa, and New York. 

Also, Brandon Phillips is about to be traded to the Braves for ???  (He has a full no-trade, so he may block the deal if he wants to.)

The deal on BP is looking to be 2 minor league pitchers and CIN paying all but $1MM of the $14MM he is owed for 2017.

I'm stoked because I think that means that Jose Peraza is now the starting 2B in CIN. I was looking forward to seeing what he would turn into when LAD traded him away as part of the Frazier to CHW deal.

Or maybe Peraza plays SS and Dilson Herrera is the 2B, either way, I am looking forward to the young boys showing what they can do as everyday guys in the Bigs.

Edited by grilledcheese

The Rays - who clearly feel they are gonna get smoked in the division this year - signed Nathan Eovaldi to a one year deal with a club option for next year.

IE: they signed him to have for next year - assuming his arm is still attached to his body.

So similar to signing Wilson Ramos who will play mid-season at best

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Brewers are either going to win 90+ this year or 60 or less. Nothing in between! If I'm wrong; then, I blame it on Tabe.

Your words cannot hurt me! 

And you deserve 47 wins. Deal with it. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Whew! Bro, you always worry me when you post in this thread as it usually means Detroit has done something cool or is as more often the case, the Mariners have done something stupid once again. ;-)

3 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

The deal on BP is looking to be 2 minor league pitchers and CIN paying all but $1MM of the $14MM he is owed for 2017.

I'm stoked because I think that means that Jose Peraza is now the starting 2B in CIN. I was looking forward to seeing what he would turn into when LAD traded him away as part of the Frazier to CHW deal.

Or maybe Peraza plays SS and Dilson Herrera is the 2B, either way, I am looking forward to the young boys showing what they can do as everyday guys in the Bigs.

I'm sorry, not wearing my glasses, so I read your last sentence as "Or maybe Piazza plays SS..." and I thought, yeah the Reds middle infield is sort of weak, but how bad can it be that you have to bring in a 48 year-old retired catcher to play SS? Thanks for the chuckle of the day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

Wow, they're going to win their first 47 games? That's amazing.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ryan said:

Ryne Sandberg's up for the job.

As well he should be, Ryne Sandberg is the greatest player to ever play the game, just ask him.

Yes.  I'll take Conflicts of Interest for $2000 Alex...

EDIT --  

The Kushners have realized that this REALLY looks like Loria is selling the Marlins for an ambassadorship.  They have pulled out of the deal.

https://www.axios.com/kushners-bail-on-deal-to-purchase-miami-marlins-2263555907.html

Edited by Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yes.  I'll take Conflicts of Interest for $2000 Alex...

EDIT --  

The Kushners have realized that this REALLY looks like Loria is selling the Marlins for an ambassadorship.  They have pulled out of the deal.

https://www.axios.com/kushners-bail-on-deal-to-purchase-miami-marlins-2263555907.html

I know now that the deal is off, BUT HOLY SHIT WE WERE KINDA RIGHT!

The Deal isn't off - the Kushners said they WOULD drop if Loria WAS named ambassador

That being said - MLB would be crazy (for a variety of reasons) to accept the Kushners bid

What I wrote in the offseason thread when this came up

To be fair - Ed and I were talking about this last week

The Mariners got 1.4 billion in 2014 (Granted it included majority ownership in the regional sports network)

The Padres got $800 million in 2012

So a team with a new stadium in Miami can easily get a billion even before redoing their shitty TV deal

Rippa and I had this discussion a few weeks ago when the rumors started up on the Marlins being for sale.  After some Google-fu...

The Padres sold for $800 Million in 2012.  (Here's a handy list of ownership, selling price and when the team was sold.)  

So you have 5 years of inflation added to the fact that Miami is a more desirous market than San Diego.  AND IF the ballpark is part of the deal ADDED TO the fact that the Marlins TV deal runs through 2020 (which should be easy money depending on how long the sports TV bubble lasts), then actually that is...as reasonable at $1.6 B can be.

I didn't say SMART.  But it would kinda be in-line with things.