DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Inspired by Alan Boon's Blood and Thunder Vol. 2 book, I went looking for this NJPW vs. WAR 5-on-5 Elimination that looked like it might be as good as the original NJ ones to no avail

If it's the Feb 16th 1993 match I have it on a HDD, probably from one of the old Ditch sites. I'll try to upload it to YouTube and post the link here in the next day or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Slater, Taylor, Mantell

IIRC, Gilbert is not “booker” until after the sale, although obv he is contributing ideas, esp his own programs.

That's a very uh...unique trio.

At least Terry Taylor though went on to play a bit part in creative down the road in other places. With that in mind, I wonder how many guys turned that job down knowing they were on their way out. 

41 minutes ago, No Point Stance said:

If it's the Feb 16th 1993 match I have it on a HDD, probably from one of the old Ditch sites. I'll try to upload it to YouTube and post the link here in the next day or two.

21 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Considering it's New Japan, you'll get flagged ASAP, so might want to just put it in a Drive folder.

I actually got the 6/15/93 show from Budokan (via Lorefice over a year ago now), which is kinda the blowoff at least when it came to the Survivor Series style multi-man matches. Still a great match, but (1) Tenryu gets eliminated early and (2) you've never seen an invading team take a collective ass whipping as a result of said elimination like this. 

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's a very uh...unique trio.

At least Terry Taylor though went on to play a bit part in creative down the road in other places. With that in mind, I wonder how many guys turned that job down knowing they were on their way out. 

I’m not sure how well known it was already that Ken Mantell was bringing the Freebirds and the rest of the Dallas crew that ended up there when he took over. Presumably, you didn’t want to get on the cowboy’s bad side regardless, 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, No Point Stance said:

2/3 Falls: Fujinami, Choshu, Hase, Kido & Iizuka VS. Tenryu, Hara, Ishikawa, Fuyuki & Kitahara

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MrvJp5C-_RCNFo1ng9qrvqYpoQqKm4tF?usp=drive_link

Hopefully this'll work. I've actually never been on this end of a Google Drive share.

IT'S ALIVE! Thanks bud! I'll review it after a watch. 

• Like 1

while it's still a lame way to switch a title, the concept of Michael Hayes accidentally forfeiting his friend's title is sorta fitting in regards to things he could do accidentally

of course, that would be grounds for some sort of future feud but I'm pretty sure Hayes and Gordy wouldn't have done that anyways

• Like 1

Here's an intriguing little curio from March 4th, 1989; all three Laurinaitis brothers (Animal, Johnny Ace & The Terminator) VS. Tsuruta, Yatsu & Kabuki

プロレス | ジャンボ鶴田 & 谷津嘉章 & ザ・グレート・カブキ 対 ロード・ウォリアー・アニマル & ジョニー・エース & ザ・ターミネーター (1989) (youtube.com)

• Like 2

2/3 Falls: Fujinami, Choshu, Hase, Kido & Iizuka VS. Tenryu, Hara, Ishikawa, Fuyuki & Kitahara

This wasn't 2/3 falls, it was Captain's Fall or full elimination I guess, judging from how it ended... and that was a little wonky. I'd say the MVPs on either side are, surprisingly, Kido for the NJ team and if not Tenryu then Fuyuki for the WAR team. He spends the most time in anyway. The thing about the erstwhile Samson is that he is a total sleaze, his character is a leopard-print-trunks bedecked, bulging-gut slimeball who would just get worse when he formed Fuyuki-gun and got even fatter. The crowd absolutely HATES this guy. They rain down a chorus of boos every time he's tagged in -- every single time, no exception. On the other hand you have ex-UWF guy Kido who is a little fireplug of a man, beloved by the fans, that uses his Fujiwara armbar to successfully knock Tenryu out of the running and onto the floor where attendants try and wrap his arm and use the cold spray to no avail. In between you have a lot of guys kicking the shit out of each other. Hase has this devious grin on his face all the time, smirking at the WAR team. Iizuka is the valiant young boy who gets the piss beat out of him by everyone but especially Tenryu. And Kitahara kicks the crap out of everyone. No thigh slapping here, folks. The main problem is there are so many pin breakups and run-ins from opposing sides that you wish there was a DQ rule for doing that. The New Japan side almost turns themselves heel from the extent they use it, especially when Choshu runs over and stomps on a wounded Tenryu on the floor which just isn't fair. The end for some reason has Kitahara submitted by Kido's armbar? Was he the captain all along, or did he sub in after Tenryu get injured? Fujinami ostensibly is the captain for his team but he has least to do with the proceedings, and Choshu was the one in line for a big Tenryu match IIRC. Anyway, WAR got their win back at their own show in a similar match and that would be cool to see, I might try and look it up too if I can find the date (help, anybody?). If I had to compare it to the three 5-on-5 matches on the '80s NJ set I'd probably put it at #3 but possibly #4, have to watch the last one of those again to decide. Solid, but with some flaws. 

EDIT: Oh wait, I get it now! It IS 2/3 falls; NJ just takes it two in a row: Hara is pinned, then Kitahara is subbed, and that's how the cookie crumbles. Clean sweep for NJ on their own turf.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1