DVDVR Message Board

2016 NCAAF WEEK #12

Pete

Oh never change Texas

Texas' administration is receiving "extreme pressure" from prominent boosters to dismiss Charlie Strong and hire Houston coach Tom Herman, sources told ESPN.

Earlier this week, Strong's job was considered safe if the Longhorns (5-5) won out against Kansas and TCU. However, that all changed when Houston upset No. 5 Louisville Thursday, sources said.

That was because in October the lure of Herman, always considered Texas' No. 1 target, had dulled with losses to Navy and SMU and near losses to Tulsa and UCF. The SMU loss was extremely troubling to UT's boosters because it was to a perceived "lesser school" in the state, sources said.

That all changed with Herman improving to 22-3 at Houston by dominating Louisville.

After that win, the bidding war for Herman is expected to start "at a minimum of $5.5 million," an industry source said.

Herman is considered among the leading candidates at Texas and LSU, if Jimbo Fisher remains at Florida State, as well as Oregon, if the Ducks fire Mark Helfrich, sources said. Herman also would be a top target of Florida State, if Fisher left for LSU, a source said.

Another concern of Texas' top boosters is the possibility Texas A&M decides to part ways with Kevin Sumlin for the opportunity to grab Herman, sources said.

"Herman was dead in the water (with Texas) when he lost to SMU (Oct. 22)," a source said. "And now he's hotter than ever."

Herman was Ohio State's offensive coordinator before being named Houston's coach. He's won 22 of 25 games, including all five contests as an underdog against Oklahoma and Louisville this season and Louisville, Navy and Florida State in 2015.

Texas president Greg Fenves and athletic director Mike Perrin have been consistent and very outspoken about their support of Strong. In October, sources told ESPN Strong would not be fired in-season and be allowed to complete the season.

If Strong, who is in the third year of a five-year deal, is fired, he would receive a $10 million buyout.

• Like 1

Western Mitten looks like they will remain unbeaten. Fuck the MAC haters. Also the Yale-Harvard game was delayed by a group of buck naked Yale students standing on a wall. Apparently this was some sort of bizarre tradition. Yale won btw 

And Kansas just beat Texas.   I hope Charlie Strong got a one way ticket

So Kansas State beat Baylor,  Iowa State with only 2 wins destroys Texas Tech, and Kansas should be in the FCS beat Texas.   Seriously the Big 12 conference should never complain about disrespect after this week.   Right now WVU vs Oklahoma is their only saving grace

I know they've sworn they won't fire him in-season, but nobody could blame them if they did tomorrow morning.

I still maintain they should've hired Dantonio instead of Strong then (this down year aside)

They might not let Strong on the plane back to Austin.  Local media is gonna be fun this week.  Betting the Statesman sports section will include the words Herman, Peterson, Harbaugh, Kelly, Meyer and Saban.

Thanks Texas for helping distract me from A&M's annual November collapse.

I'm not even so certain that Herman is the sure-thing slamdunk hire everyone thinks it is.  There's a lot more to being the coach at Texas besides football.  You're also the CEO of a hundred million dollar business AND - essentially - a politician when it comes to dealing with all the billionaire boosters.  Charlie Strong was a good football guy (considered by most a slamdunk when he was hired) but balancing all those other demands along with football hasn't worked out well for him.

And I have a hard time believing the dude who had Paul Wall make him a grill is ready to be a statesman at Texas.

Anything can happen with 18-23 year old kids, but right now it is really hard to see anyone beating them.

Ohio State might have the sheer physical talent, but they are so up and down. Michigan's defense might be good enough to stop the Tide's offense, but I don't think they have the fire power to score much at all (Speight being healthy I'd give them a tiny chance. Without him, zero)

Clemson looks worse than last year, Bama somehow looks better. Lamar Jackson could scare them (superstar athletic QBs have occasionally given Saban teams fits) but they don't have the talent around him to make it stick (and have almost shot of making it anyway.)

Colorado, Washington? I doubt it. We already saw USC take a shot, though the QB change had helped them out a lot.

Wisconsin? Again, the defense is excellent, but best case scenario it looks like the LSU/Bama game. Penn State? Yeah no.

I want to be optimistic about Michigan, and barring that I always love chaos and unpredictability. But I'd take Bama over the field if I was a betting man.