DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] ANIMATED WRESTLING GIF THREAD

RIPPA

11 hours ago, goc said:

It's a REALLY REALLY good match but not sure I would even put it in the top 10 matches on NWAOnDemand. Great service that is getting totally slept on.

Here's my write up of it:

Bockwinkel vs Morton

This match was a real testament to the power of selling, not just in selling the pain of moves, though there's that as well, but also in selling the weight of everything else that happens in a match. The opening stretch was remarkable for Morton's pluckiness and Bockwinkel's escalating response. We'd seen something like this in his match vs Chavo, but Bock came in with an entirely different attitude here. He started with the handshake, likely expecting to make short work of Morton, but it wasn't personal in the same way. It was just business, a nice little romp in the ring, some high quality calisthenics in front of a mostly unappreciative but at least well-paying crowd before a lovely dinner and nightcap with Robert Heenan. Obviously, it didn't work out that way. Morton reversed one move after the next, getting cheekier each time. Sure, there'd be a moment of Bockwinkel pressing him back into the ropes or locking in a full nelson, even strongly enough that Morton made sure to sell it after the fact, but he escaped again and again. As he did, his yokel confidence grew and grew and grew, even as Bockwinkel's frustration mounted. After an attempt to slow things down and regroup with Heenan failed, Bock's speed increased, his aggression increased, and it just made the backfires and Morton showing of his mettle all the more intense. It was a variation of the theme with of the Chavo match but extremely different, a similar story told a different way. It all culminated with Morton's rebellious slap and Bockwinkel's controlled demeanor finally breaking as he gave up on wrestling and went to fisticuffs first; the emperor momentarily had no clothes, but that hardly mattered because even naked, he was still the emperor and had climbed over the bodies of a hundred fallen opponents (through hook or crook) to reach his heights. 

While he threw Morton out to really start the heat, there was no need for a King of the Mountain segment here. He had already taken over control and now it was a matter of punishing and embarrassing the youngster for his gall. Even then, he let Morton come off as a youthful force, barely able to contain him with the headlock. While the video quality is as good as ever here, I wish we had a few different angles on the grounded headlock since Bockwinkel's facial expressions are generally the high point of that part of his act. Morton would rise up and Bockwinkel would cut him off, brutalizing him all the way until the pile driver that ended the first fall. The heat segment continued though, with Morton's desperate neck selling as he tried to keep his distance just brilliant beyond his age. There was a real sense of gamesmanship there with Morton coming off like a wounded animal bravely trying to get any edge in the fight that he could. Even into his comeback, he'd continue to sell that neck, even after he hit the momentum shifting sunset flip and took a swipe at Heenan.

The nature of the match was such that the vulnerability shifted completely once the falls evened up. At that point, Bockwinkel's belt was suddenly on the line. I think the announcer even made sure to stress it when announcing Morton as the winner of the second fall. Everything up until that point had been preliminary. When Bock had a one fall advantage, he could take his time, could wrestle on his terms. Morton had just proven he could score a pinfall out of nowhere, and if he did it once, he could do it again. Morton's neck was recovering and he started to expertly target Bockwinkel's legs. I wouldn't say he had a huge variety of offense here, but instead, that everything he did looked exceptionally good. Some of that was Bockwinkel's selling, but so much was Morton's enthusiasm and focus, as well as the general sense of vulnerability that came with the third fall of a match with the champion's belt on the line and the momentum having shifted in the challenger's favor. My favorite moment in this was Bockwinkel grabbing Morton's arm when he spun for a figure four attempt. I'd never seen it countered quite like that. It wasn't an inside cradle or anything like that. It was just Bockwinkel desperate to stop Morton from locking the hold in and trying to buy himself a few seconds. 

The great double punch led into the finishing stretch, where they were really going at it. Bockwinkel's leg selling here was extraordinary. He could have dropped it as they went towards the finish and almost anyone else would have, but it helped frame and define his punch attempts and made that feeling that the title could change at any moment, even in and around the finish, all the more powerful. The finish itself was good, stemming from the same Morton enthusiasm that had carried him through the match. I'd seen Bockwinkel use a similar closing stretch with Martel around this point but this, again, felt different, a different shade and slightly different tone. I'm sure the fans left the arena disappointed that Morton didn't pull it off but at the same time satisfied for the earnestness of the attempt and just how close it had come. Bockwinkel, in portraying that balance between vulnerability and mastery almost certainly left them thinking that maybe next time it'd be the one (and they darn well better pay the ticket price for that show, just in case).

Just another match that we're so lucky to have. Bockwinkel was amazing, first and foremost because he reacted to everything. It's as if he was working at 2x speed, but instead of using that to do more, to fit more spots in, he used it to react to things with more depth and detail than any other wrestler I've ever seen. It's sort of the difference between watching wrestling in black and white and in color. Everything resonates more. Everything matters more. You really don't know that wrestling can be this way until you watch Bockwinkel, and Morton, at this stage of his career, was just another great foil for him.

• Like 2

Don't hate the messenger now I didn't tell them to do that godawful shit.

y7wg1Wu.gif

BREAKING NEWS! This is footage of Jimmy Golden inventing the Ganso Bomb in 1981! A move that was STOLEN from him by Kawada and the knowledge suppressed by Dave Meltzer and his Japanese bias until right now today on October 24th 2016. Truly a momentous occasion for me to be able to recognize one of the Four Pillars of Southeastern/Continental wrestling for his contribution to this great sport.

• Like 5

Besides inventing the move that Japanophiles would incorrectly call the Ganso Bomb (clearly it's a Golden Bomb named after it's TRUE originator) the great Jimmy Golden was also a dual sport superstar, not just a wrestler but also a boxer. Here is footage of some of his grueling boxing training:

I6Kna8z.gif

d3ggEcf.gif

• Like 2

On 10/20/2016 at 5:31 AM, CreativeControl said:

when I saw the SSP-spike piledriver, my immediate comment was: "oh get fucked"

They wanted to mock the absurdity of the Meltzer Driver, more power to them.

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It was. This was at the end of the 8 man where Rose/Wiskowski turned on Piper/Brooks post-match and the latter pair went face. 

Hard to fathom Brooks being a babyface anywhere. Might go down along with "Mr. Piledriver" Bob Sweetan as the ugliest faces ever.