DVDVR Message Board

[OCT 2016] ANIMATED WRESTLING GIF THREAD

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, elizium said:

Arn spinebusters are pure poetry but what exactly is his opponent (Eddie Gilbert?) going for there? Top rope full body hug?

I don't think Gil even knows, Arn just instinctively went to spinbuster. Many fan spines were shattered during conventions when they tried hugging Arn.

From another board:

If I'm correct,the thing that rocker29 is talking about happened not very many rows from where I was sitting with my dad. It took place at "Wrestling Star Wars" on April.1,1983 at the State Fair Coliseum and happened right before the "Chain Match" between Terry Gordy and David Von Erich.
This one fan up in the front row was really drunk and was making remarks about the wrestlers through most of the card. Then when Gordy and Hayes came to the ring,this guy stood up and was yelling at Gordy from ringside. Gordy got pissed,left the ring,walked up to the guy and yelled,"What the hell's your problem,boy!"
The guy then put his arms out and started saying,"Hey,Terry,hey,man."  And he had a big stupid smile on his face.
Gordy just gave him a push and the guy flew back several rows and landed on his ass.
I can't repeat what Gordy yelled at the guy,but he told him to shut the **** up and sit his *** damn ass down.
I don't know if it was real or planned,but it sure seemed real to me. You could smell the booze from that guy.

• Like 1

Man, post-1993 boiled brain TGordy still makes me sad. The man really was one of the best, such a natural worker, great punches, great psychology, great facials, great selling, everything. He was one of the people I kept a close eye on to see how he evolved. Without that tragedy he would have been up there as a worker's worker with Austin, Guerrero, Steamboat, Flair, et al...

- Bam Bam, damn damn,

RAF

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

What did happen to Gordy? I feel like I've never got the full story. I don't think he'd have really gelled with where the business went in the mid to late 90s sadly

IIRC, he overdosed on a plane back from Japan. He had a seizure and went into a coma. They were able to keep him alive long enough to get him medical attention (I remember reading somewhere that Dr. Death had to do CPR on him but that could be apocryphal) but he suffered permanent brain damage.

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

IIRC, he overdosed on a plane back from Japan. He had a seizure and went into a coma. They were able to keep him alive long enough to get him medical attention (I remember reading somewhere that Dr. Death had to do CPR on him but that could be apocryphal) but he suffered permanent brain damage.

He was actually on the way to Japan (I think he was scheduled for a Triple Crown match).