DVDVR Message Board

2016 NBA Playoffs: QUARTERFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Steph is a helluva player but is he really the League MVP?  Golden State manages to win with or without him in the line-up.  He is an amazing player on an amazing team.  How can he not put up numbers like that with such an ensemble around him?

Why not give the MVP award to a guy who really does drag his team kicking and screaming to victory in spite of themselves?  Is Curry still the MVP should the Warriors get beaten by the Cavs in the championships?  What if they can't get past the Thunder (yeah, I know that is reaching...)?

Should Michael Jordan not have won MVPs after his comeback because the Bulls still won 50+ games without him? The past two rounds, the Warriors have looked better than two teams who struggled to get to .500. The difference between a good basketball team and a team that literally won more games than any other team ever is immense. That difference is Steph Curry related. I hate Steph Curry, and I think he's a falsely modest douche with a punchable face with a bunch of front running shit head fans, but he's is 100% clearly the MVP of this season in the NBA. It wasn't close. 

• Like 1

1) Steph is the MVP of the league. It's not even close. He has arguably the greatest offensive season any player has ever had. He's very much in the conversation for that title. He had the best shooting season in NBA history, and it's not even close. He's maybe the most singularly talented player in the history of the league, and Kerr and everyone there figured out how to maximize his talents in an unreal manner. The Warriors without him are a very good team. They might even be a borderline title contender without him. But with him? They were the greatest regular season team in NBA history. 

2) If this was Duncan's last game, he went out on his shield. I hope he goes out like this -- no glitz, no glam, just putting his head down and getting to work and trying to help his team get back into a game from an unexpected blowout. That's perfect for a Top 10 player who just did work from day one.

3) I will really miss Manu if that was his last game. He's one of the most enjoyable players ever. He was so far ahead of his time as a player and the league is only just catching up to him now. He gave us the Eurostep. He was so flashy but effective in his crazy. He's maybe the best sixth man of all-time. He was the best player on the Argentina basketball team that won whatever stuff they won, which the rest of the world caught on to and realized a pass-heavy offense based on cutting and shooting was the most efficient way to play the game. The Beautiful Game Spurs (and it's wonderful spread throughout the league) don't happen without Manu. He's an easy HOF guy both in terms of what he did on the court and also in how he influenced basketball. Like, he made basketball better.

• Like 3

One more thing about Curry, which I hope is the last nice thing I'll say about him: he won a deserved MVP award last season, and this season he was so much better that he is probably the best candidate for most improved player. They'll obviously never give that award to an MVP, but his stat jump from what was a career year to this year was bonkers. 

Manu should absolutely be a first ballot hall of famer. The best player on a Euroleague champion, the best player on an olympic gold medal team, a 6th man of the year and a multi time all star and NBA champion. Was probably the second most important player on the Spurs. 

I see J.T.'s argument.  Is Curry the most valuable or the the most outstanding?  He's undoubtedly the most outstanding.  What he did this year was incredible.  But I'm not 100% sure he's the most valuable on his own team.  You take the #1 guys off other teams, and they're counting ping-pong balls with Adam Silver.  That wouldn't happen if Curry is out for an extended time.

Curry deserved the MVP trophy.  I just wish they'd have a wrestling match with Curry and Westbrook to determine the winner.  Watching Russ hit Sweet Chin Music on Riley's dad would be fun AND funny. :lol:

• Like 1

In order to have, say, the Thunder, counting lottery balls, they'd have needed sbout fifteen less wins. 

Take fifteen wins away from Golden State, and they're a solid 58 win team left in the dust by the Spurs.

He's the MVP.

Spurs aged rapidly after game 1 of the series.  I assume someone finally found where Popovich was hiding the Dorian Gray team portrait, and smashed it.

It feels like this probably is it for Duncan and Ginobli, maybe Parker.

11 hours ago, Jrag said:

Kawhi's going to get a pass by the media even though he disappeared, isn't he? Durant and Roberson played some excellent D on him, but still.  He obviously still played great defensively, but man his shot selection was terrible.

He will get one initially but he won't get one for long. As Kawhi goes, so goes the Spurs. When we lost against the Clippers last year, he disappeared also. It also reminds us why Tim Duncan is so great and can't be replaced. When everyone else wilts, Timmy keeps fighting and surprising us with good performances. He did the same thing against the Clippers last year. He was far and away the best player on the Spurs in that series. 

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

On the other hand, people wrote basically the exact same thing the last time the Thunder beat San Antonio in 6 games.

People thought they were done as a contender a few times, but Duncan being done is a whole different thing. Kobe and Tim, man.  They both had terrible stretches leading up to their last game, but they somehow pulled that last something out.  Different moments, but both big.

28 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

He will get one initially but he won't get one for long. As Kawhi goes, so goes the Spurs. 

Kawhi had a great year, but the gap between him and Durant is still a gap.  Even great defense wears out when you have to guard two completely different, unstoppable players for an entire series and produce on the offensive end. Durant, man. How tall do you think he is now?  He was standing with his hands on Tim's shoulders directly after the game and he had a few inches on him.  It's just... there is no defense in the world for a guy that big who can shoot that well.

If Curry has a few more years like this he will eventually get the Lebron James treatment where they just ignore him and give it to someone else.  Speaking of, how did Lebron not get one vote?  Curry had a better year, but the Cavs would have been awful in the regular season without him. How would they have started the year if Lebron was on the shelf with Kyrie? I can't believe he didn't get one 1st place vote. 

On 5/14/2016 at 9:12 PM, Charlie M. said:

Love and Irving are as good of a duo as any of those other teams have, though. LeBron just treats them like garbage.

Lebron might treat them like hot garbage off the court, but I don't remember seeing those two lead the Cavs to much success when he hasn't played.  I remember some of those games during Lebron's absence.  I'm not so sure about Kyrie and Love lead team.

Thunder need more props for beating the Spurs, especially after getting blown out in game 1.  It's kind of getting overlooked now with weak Lebron/Curry MVP headlines and Duncan retirement talk, but a lot people were ready to pounce on them and if they had lost the way the Spurs did, it definitely would have happen. Sure, Durant's free agency plays into it.  However, I think the perception of the Spurs being overlooked and not talked about sometimes work in their favor in reference to their early round loses.  Plus everyone, even the media that Pop is a complete dick to usually, gives them the benefit of doubt.  I mean, Kawhi was second in MVP voting and many people were saying he was the "best two way NBA player" in the entire league.  Losing to the Thunder is nothing to be ashamed of, but when you win 60 plus games and have that sort of player, you usually get a bit more blow back from this current sports environment emphasizing instant results and quick social media takes.  The Thunder would have certainly felt the ire in that same situation.

The Raptors and Heat should have just come to an agreement and formed one 8 player team, a la Voltron, to challenge the Cavs in the next round.  Just forgo game 7 to get the conference finals started already.

4 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

The Raptors and Heat should have just come to an agreement and formed one 8 player team, a la Voltron, to challenge the Cavs in the next round.  Just forgo game 7 to get the conference finals started already.

Do those two teams have 8 healthy players? 

I think the Spurs and Kawhi get more slack because, as good a player as Kawhi is, their model isn't dependent on the play of one guy.  The media never wants to pin failure on an entire team, because there is no face on the scapegoat.  They need to say Lebron or KD choked and make a story of it.  There is no story in "The Spurs got outplayed".

There are literally thousands of people watching the game in Jurassic Park outside the ACC.  Do fans anywhere in the NBA come out and show support like that?? Raps need to step on their necks and close this out strong, for this city.