DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R2A: FENIX vs. KEVIN OWENS

MM16: 2nd RDA - FENIX vs. KEVIN OWENS  

104 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Kevin Owens is great. His persona is so fully thought out and well crafted, even more so in NXT. The fact that a watered/dumbed down version of his act is still probably the most interesting character on the main roster says everything about how WWE is run (and how good Steen is). His storytelling in NXT was off the charts. He's become a bit too formulaic for me on the main roster, but is still generally a joy to watch. Something as simple as yelling "I HATE YOU!" with so much conviction during the match with Ambrose at the Rumble was good times. 

That said, Fenix was in killer angles, one of the best matches of the year, and a lot of fun other stuff. I don't think he's all that interesting a character but he seems to always exceed my expectations for him. I don't think you can vote wrong with either guy here. I'm gonna give this some more thought. 

*checks the tally so far*

wow, this is a shit kicking. I'm going to give Fenix the vote with Scott Steiner sympy (sympthy? How did he pronounce it?).

In my pick 'ems. I filled it out less how I thought the board would go, and more how I thought I would go. I wanted to see what would change once I actually started voting and put real thought and study into it. I had Owens in my finals. My gut said Owens.

Fenix had a better year. He just did. His matches were better, they were more unique and they mattered more within the universe the stories are told. Having really thought about it, I think Fenix might be my number 1 from last year. I'll have a hard time voting against him.

Owens's NXT work is enough to get my vote here even though he works in an extremely formulaic manner on the main roster. And even then, he had a good garbage match with Ambrose and made me pay attention to Dolph Ziggler in the last month or so. 

Though I feel like when it comes to WWE style, garbage matches are much like six-man tags in that they are almost un-fuck-upable within that style, so maybe I shouldn't give him too many points for having a good garbage match with Ambrose. 

Kevin Owens worked seemingly the exact same match against John Cena as he did Dolph Ziggler. Vote Fenix.

Not to mention working seemingly the exact same match 3 times in a row with John Cena.

Well that was only 3 of the 50 matches Cena worked in a row that were exactly the same.

As I mentioned in the previous thread Cena didn't exactly work the match he did vs. Owena versus Stardust or Kane (those would have zero AA kick-outs). Fwiw I could actually defend the majority of the finisher kick-outs in those matches if anyone wants to hear those arguments. Even in the Owens matches.

Well that was only 3 of the 50 matches Cena worked in a row that were exactly the same.

As I mentioned in the previous thread Cena didn't exactly work the match he did vs. Owena versus Stardust or Kane (those would have zero AA kick-outs). Fwiw I could actually defend the majority of the finisher kick-outs in those matches if anyone wants to hear those arguments. Even in the Owens matches.

Even then, the "Cena matches" being exactly the same also has to count as the biggest possible knock for Fenix:  the fact that the entire "rising from the dead like a phoenix" gimmick relies on Fenix doing the same "Okay, you beat me up long enough, now it's my turn to ignore all the damage I got in the match and beat you down at my full strength until I get the victory" that people hate about Cena (and to the same point, most of North American mainstream wrestling).