DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R1: JIMMY RAVE vs. FENIX

RIPPA

MM16: 1st Round - JIMMY RAVE vs. FENIX  

91 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Yeah - JT is making horrible sweeping generalizations that aren't true

Especially coming from a man who doesn't have Facebook or Twitter

Plenty of us KNEW Jimmy Rave was working (and having good to great matches).

Fenix winning by a lot says more to the ease of footage

I'm against J.T. on this one, I've seen enough Rave this year to know he's been really really great, and match to match is better then Fenix is. But Grave Consequences was fucking amazing, and that swayed me.

Curious - aside from Muertes matches what's the next best Fenix match during the time period?  I'd probably go with the Ciampa match from AAW, though when I watched it I thought Ciampa was really the guy who held it together (sounds like sour grapes to some probably but I'm serious).  After that....uh....

AND if one were to use the sample size of a single thread as guidance to what people do or do not know.

Well... I am not even going to finish that statement

If people want to see Jimmy as the angry, mean, Ric Flair in Techwood Drive getting pissed off that Sam Houston dares to fuck with him type match everyone should check out the Chris Crunk match on YouTube.

If you want to see him in the Ric Flair is overmatched against more talented babyface but still finds away match, watch his match on YouTube v. AR Fox.

Neither would be near the top of my best Rave match list from the last 14 months, but figured i'd pimp them now while they are still relevant to this process.

Well yeah.  That was pretty genius.  I don't see anyway Fenix could do it.  I'm honestly not sure I could name 5 active performers who could.

When Fenix had an opportunity to tell a story in a tournament setting, it led to a public apology. 

• Like 2

If people want to see Jimmy as the angry, mean, Ric Flair in Techwood Drive getting pissed off that Sam Houston dares to fuck with him type match everyone should check out the Chris Crunk match on YouTube.

If you want to see him in the Ric Flair is overmatched against more talented babyface but still finds away match, watch his match on YouTube v. AR Fox.

Neither would be near the top of my best Rave match list from the last 14 months, but figured i'd pimp them now while they are still relevant to this process.

For those of you as lazy as I usually am, here are those two matches...

I thought Fenix was gonna be an easy choice, but after the two matches Rippa posted here I am seeking out more because I'm not so sure anymore.

Rave's long ass matches are sure killing my productivity in checking out other dudes I need to see more of today, though.

I mostly watched Jimmy Rave because DylanWaco was going on about him in some article or post or something I was reading, and I enjoy the dude. Actually, there are a ton of guys I never would have known about that I've watched and enjoyed when I saw them (pre-Luke Harper Brodie Lee, Vordell Walker, etc.) because of guys like Waco speaking up about them. I'm up in the Pacific Northwest, so I know nothing about those smaller southern indies, but I find that I'd rather watch a small southern indie than PWG, LU, etc. 

Do we have just one day per match-up? I thought I saw two but I can't find it in the main thread.

Also, does anybody know of how to download matches from Rutube in one file? I've been watching at 1.5x speed so I can fit more shit in the voting period but Rutube is pretty rough to navigate.

Fenix had one of the best matches of the year. I put it at #2 for my Voices of Wrestling MOTY list but outside of that match the body of work compared to Rave, someone who I didn't think was among the most upper echelon wrestlers last year, is bare bones at best. Grave Consequences closes the gap a little bit but there's only so much one match can do in my opinion. 

Not the time nor the place but I disagree wholeheartedly. He wrestles Cena (yuck, those matches...) differently than Zayn (way more storytelling and a methodical pace) than he does that good for nothing jabroni Alex Riley. There are guys who are far guiltier of that formulaic sin than Owens. NJPW and WWE both struggle to differentiate structure in their big epics and it can get pretty damn irksome.

Oh sure. Totally agree. Drago for example seems to be winning because of his gear and where he works.  The thing is though if character work is a factor (and I do consider it when I vote), the gap between Rave and Fenix gets even bigger to me.  

I'm against J.T. on this one, I've seen enough Rave this year to know he's been really really great, and match to match is better then Fenix is. But Grave Consequences was fucking amazing, and that swayed me.

How are you against me?  I also voted for Fenix, man, and brought up the casket match as the deciding factor for me.

I think we all love Jimmy but I just feel that his miracle run under the radar doesn't weigh as much with me as a guy being in a casket match that isn't only my Lucha MOTYC, it is one of my MOTYCs overall.

A FUCKING CASKET MATCH~!

Yeah - JT is making horrible sweeping generalizations that aren't true

Especially coming from a man who doesn't have Facebook or Twitter

This is why I also lurk at WON and haunt the dirsheet sites and read the DVDVR, right?  To compensate for refusal to send my PII over the grid just in case I have a desire to run for Baltimore city council.

And that's why we have stuff like this so all of us can be richer for the knowing.