DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R1: JIMMY RAVE vs. FENIX

RIPPA

MM16: 1st Round - JIMMY RAVE vs. FENIX  

91 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Jimmy Rave has been on fire and I love him like family but yeah, Fenix was one half of the only casket match that I have ever liked in the history of pro wrestling.

I voted Rave. Fenix has been in a lot of stuff I like, but he's always the guy I end up liking the least in all those matches. Conversely, Rave is a goddamn scientist who has carried every jabronie he's stepped into a shitty ring with to at least a good match. I'd love to see him get into better shape and have another run somewhere.

Plus, he totally gets Goldberged at the end of the second match Rippa posted, and that gets my sympathies going.

Fenix was fun in KoT and I liked the Grave Consequences match (although not as much as others, it seems), but I've never gone out of my way to see a Fenix match. I actively seek out random Jimmy Rave matches from the time period. 

As an aside, who would have thought that of all the people on the 2005 ROH roster, Jimmy Rave would be the one having the best year a decade later?

As an aside, who would have thought that of all the people on the 2005 ROH roster, Jimmy Rave would be the one having the best year a decade later?

I thought for sure that the TNA debacle would be the end of Jimmy Rave nor did I think he'd survive in the indies outside of The Embassy, but here he is fucking ruling it.

That casket match, tho..

Well I am assuming folks would say that Samoa Joe had a better year

(And Cesaro was definitely having a better year pre-inury)

I figured Jimmy would lose here, which is a shame because I really wanted to compare him head to head with Kevin Owens.  I was going to write some lengthy thing about Rave's year since I've been his biggest advocate online but it hardly seems worth my time when he's already down 20.

I don't want to bury Fenix because I have liked him in LU, I just don't see him as particularly great.  There are probably 50-75 people I'd take over him, where I wouldn't take anyone over Rave from 2015, and possibly no one from March-to-March (that's always a little harder to say until you sit down and look at particulars). 

Jimmy had something like 16 of my top 50 Southern indie matches last year, and would have had at least one more but the match was released after I wrote up the list for the Cubed Circle Newsletter.  I want to say that half of those were in the top twenty. He had three matches in my overall top 10 for 2015. There were times where he was both the top heel and the top babyface in the state of Georgia working for two completely different types of feds.  In the relevant time period he's had good matches v. Anthony Henry, Matt Develine, Cedric Alexander, Kyle Matthews, Spi-ral, AJ Styles, Sal Rinauro, David Starr, Ryan Vega, AR Fox, Chris Crunk, Tyson Dean, Geter, Johnny Gargano, Davey Vega, Isais Velasquez, Chip Day, Gunner, Gunner Miller, Kongo Kong, Corey Hollis, Romeo, Fry Daddy, and probably some others I'm forgetting.  That's a pretty glorious hodge podge of talent of varying shapes, sizes, qualities, and star power.  I tend to think he adapts better to opponent and setting than anyone else going today, and is a true master psychologist, and I'm more excited to see one of his matches pop up online than anyone else.  

LU is the hot product along with NXT and Fenix is a good wrestler.  Probably the worst thing I could say about him is I thought the Chikara KOT Finals was shockingly bad for a match with that many talented guys, but yeah.  He's a good talent.  I just don't think he's in the same universe as Jimmy Rave. 

• Like 2

Stop making sense, Dylan.  You are destroying my buzz.

I've watched a lot of Rave's most recent matches and I love how he's slowly washed away the TNA taint and has developed such amazing range, but Fenix and Mil Muertes made me watch AND ENJOY a casket match.  That speaks volumes.

I figured Jimmy would lose here, which is a shame because I really wanted to compare him head to head with Kevin Owens.  I was going to write some lengthy thing about Rave's year since I've been his biggest advocate online but it hardly seems worth my time when he's already down 20.

I still prefer you do (or at least link to anything you wrote elsewhere) just because I think more people do need to watch his stuff.

Especially for those who didn't realize he was still working.

Well I am assuming folks would say that Samoa Joe had a better year

(And Cesaro was definitely having a better year pre-inury)

Also Roderick Strong, AJ Styles and Matt Sydal.

Since Rippa asked, here is the link to the Cubed Circle Newsletter Annual.  This is the direct link and will take you straight to the PDF.  There is a lot of good stuff in it.  My piece on Jimmy Rave starts on page 40, is followed by a brief interview with him, and then goes into my top 50 Southern indie matches of the year.  It's a pretty good long form case for Jimmy that I would have basically done a cliff notes version of here. 

http://www.cubedcirclewrestling.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/cubed_circle_newsletter_yearbook_2015.pdf

Edit: so maybe it won't be a direct pdf link? Try that instead and just click on the sub link for the PDF

Edited by RIPPA
I'M A HELPER~!

Rave had a better year then Sydal, if were being honest. And I think you could say he had a better year then Joe, save for the level he was working at.

Oh, most definitely Rave has had a better year than Sydal or Joe but as you say quality of surroundings is a major factor.  I think it says a lot that in this era of social media, not much word of mouth has drawn the attention of very many people to Jimmy Rave's indie renaissance.

Meanwhile, friends of mine who rarely watch wrestling and hate the idea of something other than kung fu movies on El Rey's schedule are converting to Lucha and asking ME of all people have I seen this badass casket match.

Oh, most definitely Rave has had a better year than Sydal or Joe but as you say quality of surroundings is a major factor.  I think it says a lot that in this era of social media, not much word of mouth has drawn the attention of very many people to Jimmy Rave's local indie renaissance.

That's actually not true.

I would argue that social media has done a shockingly good job making him relevant among a sub-set of people on Twitter.  That said the sub-set is big enough that he got booked in Freelance, and he's got a couple of other soon to be announced bookings that will be big-ish.  That doesn't happen without social media.

I just think it says is that nobody has ever really given a shit about Southern Indies, which sucks cause they have some awesome stuff.

It's the internet though.   One tweet masses millions and who even knew Jimmy was still wrecking it other than a small handful of us diehards?  Fenix's landslide tells that story.

I just think it says is that nobody has ever really given a shit about Southern Indies, which sucks cause they have some awesome stuff.

Which I think we should being that the best wrestler doing it right now IMO, AJ Styles is from the Southern Indies.

.That's actually not true.

I would argue that social media has done a shockingly good job making him relevant among a sub-set of people on Twitter.  That said the sub-set is big enough that he got booked in Freelance, and he's got a couple of other soon to be announced bookings that will be big-ish.  That doesn't happen without social media.

I'm not suggesting that it doesn't.  Maybe I am overselling the importance of our board, but I'd like to think that Rave's new goodness wouldn't have taken anyone here by surprise and yet it has, apparently.

If Rave is having a banner year, I'd like to think that Rave would be well represented in our Best Internet Matches of XXXX thread or Rippa would've tweeted the hell out of something, or we'd at least see a review in a Driverette and that has not really come about.. 

.That's actually not true.

I have to disagree.   This isn't like the tape trading days.   If Rave were having a banner year, I am sure nearly everyone here would've known about it before now, shared their findings, and the Internet Matches of 2015 would have as many matches as people could find.

We just don't sleep on stuff like that.  The fact that Rave's goodness is taking a lot of people by surprise is the story in this bracket as is the fact that anyone with half a brain cell and genuine interest in pro wrasslin will sort himself out and watch a lot of recent Jimmy Rave.

I think what it really says is that I didn't post on the board at all this year.

There were dozens of people posting their WON Awards ballots on Twitter that had Rave in their top 3 for Most Underrated and even Most Oustanding.  People that live all over the place too, just not in the South.  

The issue is that there are little bubbles of sub-communities all over the place now, and they don't always overlap even when you'd think they would.