DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 1-18-16

MGFanJay

Resident contrarian known for being notoriously contrary with a penchant for moving goalposts (intentional or not) lived up to his reputation. Balls were busted as a result.

Wait, Greg is the resident pollyanna. I'm pretty sure stro is the resident contrarian. 

I'm not a contrarian. I just dislike flippy indie dudes with shitty psychology. I don't just shit on dudes. I explain why I think Balor and Rollins ain't shit. I'm going to like what I like and not like what I don't like. 

Stro just has strong opinions, but he doesn't shit on things just to shit on them. 

His desire for Reigns/HHH makes me wonder, though...

(...not really. But ugh, I personally find it hard to think of a big-time match I'd rather see less than Reigns/HHH.)

Stro just has strong opinions, but he doesn't shit on things just to shit on them. 

His desire for Reigns/HHH makes me wonder, though...

(...not really. But ugh, I personally find it hard to think of a big-time match I'd rather see less than Reigns/HHH.)

HHH has been in the best matches of the past 2 WMs (in completely different types of matches). Roman has improved dramatically in the last year, to the point where I think he's at the top of the list for WWE. It will be a perfectly laid out match that will be awesome. Roman has been great with guys much less skilled than HHH. HHH in his boss level mode at WM should be tremendous. What's not to be excited about?

• Like 1

I know you made your argument the other day, and I liked Sting/Triple H, but I'm having a real hard time with the idea it was better than Cena/Rusev, Brock/Reigns/Rollins, or the ladder match. I might take Orton/Rollins over it as well, if only for the incredible finish.

• Like 2

I like the idea of HHH/Roman as either a non-title match or a title match on a different ppv. Otherwise I really don't want it at WM and would rather get Brock vs. Roman II which I want anyways at some point.

Honestly the ending of this Raw would have worked had the Wyatts done anything of note the last 2-3 months like beating Taker & Kane at Survivor Series.

I know you made your argument the other day, and I liked Sting/Triple H, but I'm having a real hard time with the idea it was better than Cena/Rusev, Brock/Reigns/Rollins, or the ladder match. I might take Orton/Rollins over it as well, if only for the incredible finish.

The ladder match might have been the worst multiman ladder match they've ever done. Especially the booking of a Bryan who clearly should not ever, ever be in a ladder match doing nothing at all while everyone else takes horrific bumps and then he wins and gets all the adulation. And that horrible build. What a dumb everything that was.

Sting/HHH was not technically good, I will admit. But it was fun as fuck and was so full of Memphis level fuckery.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Sting/Triple H, even before the run-ins.

And it being stupid for Bryan (and everyone else, for that matter) to take those bumps doesn't make the match bad. It wasn't great, but it was good.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Sting/Triple H, even before the run-ins.

And it being stupid for Bryan (and everyone else, for that matter) to take those bumps doesn't make the match bad. It wasn't great, but it was good.

It was a bad match because the bumps didn't mean anything and had no story reason besides "it's a ladder match so people have to take big bumps". And then dudes would be running up the ladder right minutes later like nothing happened. It was all the worst things about multi man ladder matches all rolled into one.

Just for fun, I went back through the WM cards to refresh my memory, and...yeah, besides the Bryan match, you'd have to go back a decade to find a HHH Mania match that I liked. God, that Orton match has to be a Top 5 Worst Mania main event.

The Bryan match was great because HHH was clearly out to prove he was equal to the Indy darling and worked like a motherfucker. But most late-period HHH Mania matches are all built around plunder and both guys laying around doing nothing half the match and community theater-level emoting in between. All the stuff I hate.

I fucking love the Mania 27 Undertaker match. More than just about anyone else on earth I think. It's one of my top two or three matches of the last ten years. And I'm not even sure I could begin to explain why. I've literally watched it around a dozen times in the, what, five or six years since it happenen, and it has never lost its appeal to me.

But that Orton match was brutally bad, the hell in a cell with Taker wasn't nearly as good, and the Brock match was damn boring (both the other matches they had were quite good, making it worse) Who else has he worked in that time frame? Sheamus, in a match I don't really even remember. The triple threat with Cena and Orton was fine, I guess. *shrug*

The only way I like Reigns-Triple H is if Reigns winning legit ends the Authority. I mean, I feel like you could debate everything and anything about the WWE right now, but it's all moot as long as The Authority is there. Basically every heel in the company has their nuts cut off by virtue of being subservient to the Authority. And when Brock Lesnar showed that he was the one heel who wasn't beneath them, he became an instant face instead of a bigger bad. Heel promoter as a concept has been stale for about 15 years now. Vince coming back to show the ass his daughter seemingly refuses to got a momentary rise out of people, but it's telling that his response to a shitty product wasn't "The Authority needs to go", but "The Authority needs to go back to the way it was when Mr. McMahon was a regular character". I guess I'm just wondering, when does it end? In 2020 are Hunter and Steph still going to be putting obstacles in Roman Reigns' way because he won't officially declare himself a McMahon family lackey? 2022?

• Like 1

Someone on Reddit posted a reminder to something Jericho said on his podcast right before or around the time he came back, which was that he had something big planned out and a creative way to return. The guy from Reddit remarked about the dirty looks Jericho gave Roman and Ambrose awhile ago and that maybe this is Jericho's way of turning heel.

Sorrow mentioned that earlier and I think if Jericho is handling it then it could be good..  the stuff with him and HBK was great.

Eh, a lot of people can't speak rationally on Triple H because of 2003.  I've always said that putting the belt on Goldberg was the right move. People who wanted Kane, RVD or Booker T.. I don't know, I'm not even sure if those people are serious. None of those guys are main eventers.  RVD's best chance was in '01 during the Invasion. If anyone should have put him over it should have been Austin or Angle.

HHH had plenty of great matches. He's had plenty of average ones. Definitely some bad ones. But there are people who will try to tell you he's a bad worker. There are people who will try to tell you he's a tremendous worker.

It's somewhere in the middle.  I'd say he's closer to good then bad but I get why he's disliked.

HHH's reign of death is much better in retrospect, when you can definitely see he was doing good work and all those guys that "should" have won should not have won. Except Booker. He was the guy to do it, but I blame him not winning on Goldberg coming in more than HHH not wanting to drop the title to him. I'm confident that had Goldberg not signed, Booker would have walked out of WM19 as champ.

The only way I like Reigns-Triple H is if Reigns winning legit ends the Authority. I mean, I feel like you could debate everything and anything about the WWE right now, but it's all moot as long as The Authority is there. Basically every heel in the company has their nuts cut off by virtue of being subservient to the Authority. And when Brock Lesnar showed that he was the one heel who wasn't beneath them, he became an instant face instead of a bigger bad. Heel promoter as a concept has been stale for about 15 years now. Vince coming back to show the ass his daughter seemingly refuses to got a momentary rise out of people, but it's telling that his response to a shitty product wasn't "The Authority needs to go", but "The Authority needs to go back to the way it was when Mr. McMahon was a regular character". I guess I'm just wondering, when does it end? In 2020 are Hunter and Steph still going to be putting obstacles in Roman Reigns' way because he won't officially declare himself a McMahon family lackey? 2022?

The USA Network does not share your opinion, and they base theirs on quantifiable data.

Again - The Authority being written off TV will fix exactly nothing, and the possibility of a well written Authority that fits into WWE storylines and gets the full-time wrestlers over does exist. Vince just has to direct the storylines that way.

Yeah I've heard the "USA wants the Authority" thing multiple times before. Always seemed fishy to me. Like, who reported it? On who's word do we have it? The network itself stepped into the creative process after a few weeks to give a specific directive? Why have I never heard of any other ratings dip resulting in USA telling WWE creative to reset things? It's always seemed like a planted story to absolve WWE from bringing the Authority back to me...