DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 81: Dillashaw vs. Cruz (1/17/2016) - Boston, MA (TD Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

I have to agree with Charlie.

I had it 3-2 (48-47) for Cruz. Dillashaw really didn't do much early to win the first couple of frames. He had a few good strikes, but that was in between a lot of swinging and missing. He was pressuring Cruz, but it wasn't effective pressure. If Dillashaw had the same strategy from round 5 in the earlier rounds, this would've been a much different fight. He was doing much better when Cruz was coming to him and had nothing to counter or didn't throw the straight rights. As is, Cruz allowed him to walk into traps and move away everytime Dillashaw was going for the fight ender.

• Like 1

Not crazy about that decision, but Dillashaw made a lot of mistakes.  He let Cruz frustrate him, and he was winding up and missing a lot.

My problem with Cruz's style is that his movement and dodging are effective, but attack looks weak.  I thought Dillashaw was generally landing more than Cruz, but Cruz also had more takedowns.  

CY-vuWGWMAAHGMU.0.jpg

I'm a big Cruz mark but I think Tony Weeks is insane for giving him the 4th.

edit: going back to the Mitrione deal, I thought you were referring to the bone sticking out in his left shoulder after the nasty slam by Browne. His shoulder is separated.

CY-Y_FcU0AApNaD.jpg

Either way, Browne wrecked him.

Not crazy about that decision, but Dillashaw made a lot of mistakes.  He let Cruz frustrate him, and he was winding up and missing a lot.

My problem with Cruz's style is that his movement and dodging are effective, but attack looks weak.  I thought Dillashaw was generally landing more than Cruz, but Cruz also had more takedowns.  

When you're doing the Nicolino Locche thing and most of your defense is predicated on getting completely out of range, you're going to push a lot of your punches especially on counters. One thing I thought was sneaky good was Cruz's jab which was pretty damn fast, but it wasn't the most eye catching thing. I think one important aspect of the fight was not giving Dillashaw confidence that he can put together a few great combos to turn the tide. So a part of that was not sitting down on his punches to allow for more movement, but I thought he was pretty damn effective. Dillashaw's face was pretty busted up through 3 rounds and that was when Cruz was on the bike the most.

• Like 1

I believe if built correctly, Cruz-Faber III on the July Fox card could be the best non football season Fox card in terms of ratings. 

However, I would be fine with Cruz rematching Dillashaw or rematching Mighty Mouse.

When you're doing the Nicolino Locche thing and most of your defense is predicated on getting completely out of range, you're going to push a lot of your punches especially on counters. One thing I thought was sneaky good was Cruz's jab which was pretty damn fast, but it wasn't the most eye catching thing. I think one important aspect of the fight was not giving Dillashaw confidence that he can put together a few great combos to turn the tide. So a part of that was not sitting down on his punches to allow for more movement, but I thought he was pretty damn effective. Dillashaw's face was pretty busted up through 3 rounds and that was when Cruz was on the bike the most.

I saw Dillashaw landing with kicks to the leg and to the body.  He was landing shots to the head and also Cruz's face looked damage too.  To me it was not a dominant win from either side IMHO.

I believe if built correctly, Cruz-Faber III on the July Fox card could be the best non football season Fox card in terms of ratings. 

However, I would be fine with Cruz rematching Dillashaw or rematching Mighty Mouse.

This upcoming July? If his foot is as bad as he was implying, I don't think he will be ready by then. If it needs any type of surgery it would be the fall at the earliest I would think.

I saw Dillashaw landing with kicks to the leg and to the body.  He was landing shots to the head and also Cruz's face looked damage too.  To me it was not a dominant win from either side IMHO.

I don't think anybody is saying it was a dominant win. You can either win 49-46 or lose 49-46 and still have an extremely close fight. My response was in reply to the weak attack thing. I think what won Cruz the fight was early on when he was landing appreciable offense while Dillashaw was missing a lot. The judges probably won't going to give Dillashaw enough rounds based on kicking. I mean look how Tumenov-Larkin was scored. That was a three round fight where a guy was clearly slowed down by effective kicks to his lead leg. Dillashaw fell into Cruz's bull and matador routine and that cost him dearly when it came to making his offense and pressure look effective. An analogous example would probably be Maidana in his first fight with Floyd Mayweather, I think people get tricked into believing  once a close round is over, "shit, person A landed two punches at minute _ of the round. He won the round." That's not how rounds are suppose to be scored in the criteria, especially in MMA where the criteria is all over the place with the way it can be interpreted. Just because that's the way we see it at home doesn't mean the official judges should see it that way.

I mean once I saw Brett Okamoto get pissed off at Alvarez getting the nod over Pettis, I knew he was probably going to favor TJ over Cruz based on the style matchup. I was correct in my assumption because he was the only one that I saw on my timeline who actually gave it to Dillashaw (3-2 IIRC). Not saying that he was wrong for feeling that way , but once you believe you're seeing something, that's the narrative you tend to go with. The interesting thing is you only really tend to see that in 12 round boxing matches. You get it in MMA, but you have styles where there is one clear decisive round usually. With 3 or 5 round fights, that can cut out a lot of the drama unless you get point deduction or something silly. There are boxing fights where I see scores that are completely opposite of each other, and sometimes, for no good reason other than people get trapped into narratives. That's why I tried my best, for big fights in boxing or MMA, to stay off social media until it's over and the official decision has been read.

This upcoming July? If his foot is as bad as he was implying, I don't think he will be ready by then. If it needs any type of surgery it would be the fall at the earliest I would think.

Obviously, I'm being optimistic. If he can come back in late summer, then they would probably love to put that Faber bout on Fox.

CY9jjXnWwAAdkdE.png

Sup.

Tremendous.

Anyway...

I enjoyed Pettis vs. Alvarez, but that maybe mostly because I'm a big fan of Eddie. Dude has been involved in some of the best lightweight fights of all time, so I'm pumped he got a big win against Pettis. Sure it wasn't the most entertaining performance he's put on in his career, but he fought smartly. Implemented the Clay Guida and Rafael dos Anjos pressure, clinch against the cage, takedown, grind, in your face game plan that gives Pettis problems and has been proven to being the key to beating Pettis.

Gilbert tried implementing this game plan, but got caught in a guillotine choke by Pettis in their past title fight.

Going by this interview, Cruz's face post-fight looks pretty swollen and damaged.

Well...alright.

CY9jjXnWwAAdkdE.png

Sup.

Tremendous.

Anyway...

I enjoyed Pettis vs. Alvarez, but that maybe mostly because I'm a big fan of Eddie. Dude has been involved in some of the best lightweight fights of all time, so I'm pumped he got a big win against Pettis. Sure it wasn't the most entertaining performance he's put on in his career, but he fought smartly. Implemented the Clay Guida and Rafael dos Anjos pressure, clinch against the cage, takedown, grind, in your face game plan that gives Pettis problems and has been proven to being the key to beating Pettis.

Gilbert tried implementing this game plan, but got caught in a guillotine choke by Pettis in their past title fight.

Something in the back of my head told me Alvarez was going to fight that way. Going back to Philly and the fact that he could be easily 0-2 before last night makes me think he knows that another loss could set him back tremendously. However, people have to give him credit for doing what he did. I think people are going to find excuses for Pettis if they weren't trying before. That wasn't a fight where you could tell if someone is hampered by old injuries. Alvarez just took the route most proven to beat Pettis. Why would Alvarez gamble that away by getting into a straight up kickboxing match when he has the tools to beat him that way? If you don't let Pettis get into a rhythm, then you've nullified most of his game. Now, all you have to worry about is the submissions. Alvarez made sure that wasn't a problem so he effectively beat Pettis in every phase of the MMA.

It did remind me of the Guida fight. After round 1, he just showed no urgency at all. It like he didn't know it was a 3 round fight. If you're spending 3 and a half minutes stopping a takedown against the cage, you better be going apeshit the remaining 90 seconds.

Whoever puts a picture of Matt Mitrone's third eye after that fight let me just say fuck you in advance.   Damn that was gross  :blink:

So let me be the first...

CY-aae9WEAElbTC.jpg

Jesus. That's not a mouse under his eye, that's a fucking sewer rat.

Late to the party. I also scored 48-47 Cruz. Hope Dominick can stay healthy, I'd like to see him against Mighty Mouse, Dillashaw in a rematch and my first choice, Faber. The trilogy was set to conclude at UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II way back in July 2012 and I was looking forward to that as much as the fight in the subtitle

• Like 1