DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

4 hours ago, grizzlyedwin said:

Agreed and it's unfortunate. Thing is he's an excellent grappler, but he hardly relies on that aspect of his skills. He's one of the few who've genuinely never been interested in signing with the UFC which is unfortunate. I don't think he would've been a title challenger or anything close to that, but he would've put on some exciting brawl with Joe Lauzon and would've punched Diego Sanchez many times in the face.

His fight with Eddie Alvarez from DREAM still remains as one of my all time favorite fights ever.

Yep, it would have been good for him to have that on his resume . It's also good that he stood up for what the PRIDE fighters were expected to make at that time. However, it's hard to not say in hindsight that the lesser of the two evils was coming to the UFC. Again, not that there would be a ton of upside given that lightweight in UFC is just a snakepit and has gotten better over time. You got blue chip prospects like Kevin Lee and Johnny Case losing to fighters who long-term may not be better than them. Also, you have a fighter like Gomi who isn't put in position to show that he actually matters being a card and usually only reserved when they do cards in Japan (and/or needed to lose to the likes of Lauzon and Sanchez) . So at the best, all Hansen would be able to hope for is to still be on the roster when they run like Sweden (or Olso if they ever do a show there) and Japan every other year.

Still, that would be more favorable than being on a non Kanto Shooto show against just some dude. I really doubt he's getting the same as some lower to mid level UFC lightweight fighting on some of these shows. Hard to be a money making journeyman now when the terms "UFC vet" or "PRIDE vet" don't mean dick anymore because everyone can use that whether they actually fought there or didn't make it into the TUF house.

36 minutes ago, El Ken Erico said:

Cris Cyborg will fight Leslie Smith at UFC 198 in a 140 lbs. Catchweight bout.

Poster for said fight

Ceps16LWAAIDcG-.jpg

A press conference for UFC 198 from Rio de Janeiro will be at 2pm EST/11am Pacific.

Also, I believe that Cyborg-Smith would be the 15th and final fight to be added to UFC 198. Decker wanted 15 fights and got his wish.

I'm guessing that they do a 5 fight main card, 4 fight FS1 prelim card, and 6 fight Fight Pass prelim card. Although, the UFC account just tweeted out the five fights that would be on the main card AND Cyborg-Smith. So those fights with Minotoro-Durkin headlining the FS1 portion would make the most sense. As for Fight Pass, they can do whatever feature fight for that because there are plenty of fights to choose from.

Guest Edwin

The only fights I can see GSP taking are a title fight against Lawler, a fight against the winner of Conor vs. Nate II if it's Nate because if Conor pulls out the upset, you know the UFC is going to make Conor vs. Nate III or a fight with Anderson possibly so they can get that out of the way.

I was thinking a rematch with Hendricks possibly, but he's fallen off from where he was, so I don't think that's a possibility at the moment.

On the off chance Conor beats Nate, the priority would be Conor vs. GSP and the rubber match w/ Nate in their back pocket. I mean if Conor wants GSP (in the same way he was able to ask for RDA, steer talk in direction of Lawler, and get Nate at 196), he's going to get GSP.

Right now, it's just a whole bunch of back and forth. I dunno how much of this is wanting more money or wanting a new opponent every so often. Not that GSP doesn't have the right to do either thing. It's that how much does what Zuffa wants aligns with what GSP wants. If what happened in the lead up and after 167 left a bad taste in their mouth, he probably has a little less room to navigate than a Conor McGregor. Instead of 2014 being this result of what happens when you don't have a GSP, Anderson, or a Lesnar, it became this transition year of how they would set the course for what is going on right now. 2015 and this part of the year happened without Georges St-Pierre. So whether the business trends down, stays the same, and keeps getting better, GSP ain't exactly a vital tool in their business anymore. With what happened with UFC 167, it's not even an absence makes the heart grow fonder type of thing. If he is going to be on UFC 200, that would be awesome. If he ain't, they will live and go on like they've been doing since November 2013.

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Awesome to see Cyborg finally debuting in UFC. Definitely did not expect it to be against Leslie Smith though. Looking forward to it

I can't imagine that potential opponent list was too long. With Smith, it's not someone they got big plans for and it's also a better opponent than she's ever going to see in Invicta.

Right now, the plan is to see how this fight goes and go from there. She's still Invicta champion. However, if she blows away Smith in front of 40,000+ people in her hometown, I doubt she is just going to be thrown back on Invicta cards. If she calls out someone, that's going to drum up attention that is only reserved for Rousey and/or women's bantamweight title fights.

• Like 1

Looks like Jones was actually innocent but he made the mistake of talking reckless to the police. You're a black man in a fancy car and a celebrity, two targets. Talking back will not make things better. Don't say nothing

The cop said he was drag racing but didn't give a speeding ticket. C'mon man, this officer is the worst.

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

According to Dana, she's the only one that wanted to fight Cyborg and she "begged for the fight".

If people are frightened of Amanda Nunes, then they definitely don't to see Cristiane Justino.

4 minutes ago, Shawn411 said:

Looks like Jones was actually innocent but he made the mistake of talking reckless to the police. You're a black man in a fancy car and a celebrity, two targets. Talking back will not make things better. Don't say nothing

The cop said he was drag racing but didn't give a speeding ticket. C'mon man, this officer is the worst.

If you're wearing a bodycam, then I doubt you're willing to lose your job over random casual racism. What is he going to do? Pick a fight with Jon?

How is that officer "the worst?" He handledthesituation well. More than that, not every county handles traffic violations the same and Jones doesn't need to be speeding to receive citations for other traffic violations.

The problem is Cormier wears his emotions on his sleeve. Dude had a conniption because Jon Jones was being cheered. If anything (should the fight go on as scheduled), this is going to piss him off even more.

Cormier shouldn't try to paint himself as a role model. This isn't 1990 pro wrestling. "Jon Jones, get your shit together' works better than "OMG, WHY ARE YOU CHEERING HIM AND BOOING ME". Don't call attention to the elephant in the room.

• Like 1