DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

- Toquinho signed with that outlaw Italian MMA promotion that also has Mayhem Miller. WSOF is trying to block it and hilarity ensued

please elaborate or link to said hilarity. i could use a good laugh.

30 minutes ago, El Ken Erico said:

Why is it an outlaw Promotion?

Well, for one, they signed Mayhem Miller and paying him money. Like actual currency.

More importantly, they signed someone whose under exclusive contract with another promotion without any type of consent. By no accident all. Merenda feels like he can anything because it's Italy, and he doesn't give a shit (he actually said that!). Moreover, that person is under suspension by a major commission.

24 minutes ago, grizzlyedwin said:

It hasn't started yet. It starts in around 90 minutes at 11 PM EST.

I think he is talklng about any of the previous shows on Fight Pass.

Anyway, I have to make time to watch some non-UFC or non-Invicta content. I think I have to start though by at least watching Titan or Fight Nights where I at least recognize a few names before jumping into something like Brace. Ben Alloway isn't exactly the most enticing name.

Guest Edwin

For anyone here interested, here's what the MMA portion of RIZIN 1 is going to look like:

Kazuyuki Fujita vs. Jiri Prochazka at 243 lbs.
Yuta Watanabe vs Hisaki Kato at 180 lbs.
Yuki Motoya vs. Allan Nascimento at 125 lbs.
Vadim Nemkov vs. Karl Albrektsson at 205 lbs.
Teodoras Aukstuolis vs. Jaideep Singh at 216 lbs.
Kiril Sidelnikov vs. Chris Barnett at 265 lbs.
Daron Cruickshank vs. Shinji Sasaki at 155 lbs.
Gabrielle Garcia vs. Anna Maliukova at open weight

All fights except Gabi vs. Maliukova will be at 10 minute first round and 2 5 minute rounds. Gabi vs. Maliukova will be 3 x 5 minutes. All of the WMMA RIZIN fights will be 3 x 5 minutes.

Nobuhiko Takada also mentioned he wants to see Shinya Aoki vs. Kron Gracie.

And for those curious, Maliukova has fought at flyweight in Russia before or at leas that's what Tapology and Sherdog have her previous and only pro fight listed as. She currently weighs 198 lbs.

Guest Edwin

Even though we won't be able to see it, Masakazu Imanari will be fighting Nam Phan at DEEP CAGE IMPACT 2016 in Japan on April 23.

Guest Edwin

I could see that happening with him signing with Bellator and then loaning him to RIZIN for a fight and Sarafian is on his way back to fighting on random cards in Rio de Janeiro.

If Feijao does sign with Bellator, for the sake of reviving his career stateside, he better hope Bellator puts him on cards were the testing is perfunctory.

Another TUF Brazil 1 guy who needs to go is Cezar Mutante. I dunno how long he can survive in the UFC based on being Vitor Belfort's homeboy. In hindsight, they probably should have kept John Teixeira around instead of someone who gets flattened everytime he's hit solidly.

Guest Edwin

I'm sure Mutante is a loss away from getting cut.

I remember Sarafian almost getting into a fight with Babalu... Seeing how Sarafian has developed, Babalu would've put Sarafian to sleep.

Speaking of TUF Brazil, not sure anyone here watched any of it as it was pretty bad. Anyway Eric Albarracin maybe the most annoying person to ever appear on any season of TUF ever and that covers a lot of ground.

Guest Edwin

Joachim Hansen who hasn't been around anywhere relevant in years and was last seen being knocked out by Diego Nunes in Sweden a couple of years ago made his return to Japan and lost by unanimous decision to Jet Tsuneo at 70 kg on a Shooto promoted event in Okinawa. He was originally scheduled to face Tyson Nobumitsu who was on the Japanese Road to UFC a while, but he had to pull out a couple of days before the fight due to a knee injury.

Not only knocked out by Nunes, but got knocked out by a Diego Nunes with one good leg.

That Takaya loss shattered all that aura and novelty around him. Now it's gotten to the point where his chin is gone and his style of being a chin straight up in the air type brawler is now antiquated. You're seeing numerous lightweights whose technique is way cleaner and are extremely more well-rounded than he ever was.

Guest Edwin

Agreed and it's unfortunate. Thing is he's an excellent grappler, but he hardly relies on that aspect of his skills. He's one of the few who've genuinely never been interested in signing with the UFC which is unfortunate. I don't think he would've been a title challenger or anything close to that, but he would've put on some exciting brawl with Joe Lauzon and would've punched Diego Sanchez many times in the face.

His fight with Eddie Alvarez from DREAM still remains as one of my all time favorite fights ever.