DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL: WEEK SEVEN

Dolfan in NYC

Steve Young is still the most underrated player of all time.

I would agree with that.

I'd disagree, he's a Super Bowl winning, Hall of Fame, quarterback, for a high profile team that was on television constantly.  People recognize him as a great player.  Most underrated is probably someone like Dick LeBeau or Clay Matthews.  Someone who was good to great for a long time, but wasn't on one of the higher profile teams.  The Bills of the 90s are full of players we recognize as great, because of those Super Bowls.  The Browns of the 80s went to 3 AFC Championship Games, but the only player on those teams in the Hall of Fame is Ozzie Newsome. 

Justin, Steve Young is clearly elite, but Tony Romo is one of those dudes who will be underrated.  Eli Manning is almost guaranteed to be a Hall of Famer, Romo is going to be debated to death.  Romo is better at being a quarterback than Eli, but those two Super Bowls are going to overrule all the other evidence in the argument.  If Eli's last name was Johnson or if he played in Nashville, I don't think we'd think he was better than Romo.  He's just from the first family of quarterbacks and beat the Patriots when they looked unbeatable.  As much shit as we give Romo for his sometimes terrible decisions, Eli gets a pass for being just as bad or worse. 

If we're talking most underrated at any position, I'd probably lean towards Curtis Martin.

Seriously, how many people know he has one of the top 5 career rushing totals in NFL history?

I did, but I just that's just recall. Weren't his knees basically just bone rubbing against bone by the end? He's in the Hall of Fame so someone at least recognizes his contributions. On the counter-side, Edgerrin James is 11th all time and basically will never have a shot at the HOF even though guys around him are in.

Edgerrin James was a monster, they just ran him into the ground early in his career.  You know that 370 carry threshold people are always talking about?  His first two years he carried the ball 369 and 387 times.  His career would have been better if someone actually cared about the longevity of his career.

I would agree with that.

I'd disagree, he's a Super Bowl winning, Hall of Fame, quarterback, for a high profile team that was on television constantly.  People recognize him as a great player.  Most underrated is probably someone like Dick LeBeau or Clay Matthews.  Someone who was good to great for a long time, but wasn't on one of the higher profile teams.  The Bills of the 90s are full of players we recognize as great, because of those Super Bowls.  The Browns of the 80s went to 3 AFC Championship Games, but the only player on those teams in the Hall of Fame is Ozzie Newsome. 

Justin, Steve Young is clearly elite, but Tony Romo is one of those dudes who will be underrated.  Eli Manning is almost guaranteed to be a Hall of Famer, Romo is going to be debated to death.  Romo is better at being a quarterback than Eli, but those two Super Bowls are going to overrule all the other evidence in the argument.  If Eli's last name was Johnson or if he played in Nashville, I don't think we'd think he was better than Romo.  He's just from the first family of quarterbacks and beat the Patriots when they looked unbeatable.  As much shit as we give Romo for his sometimes terrible decisions, Eli gets a pass for being just as bad or worse. 

If we're talking most underrated at any position, I'd probably lean towards Curtis Martin.

Seriously, how many people know he has one of the top 5 career rushing totals in NFL history?

I did, but I just that's just recall. Weren't his knees basically just bone rubbing against bone by the end? He's in the Hall of Fame so someone at least recognizes his contributions. On the counter-side, Edgerrin James is 11th all time and basically will never have a shot at the HOF even though guys around him are in.

Edgerrin James was a monster, they just ran him into the ground early in his career.  You know that 370 carry threshold people are always talking about?  His first two years he carried the ball 369 and 387 times.  His career would have been better if someone actually cared about the longevity of his career.

That's probably one of the worst analysis of a players career I've seen.  Edge tore his ACL in Indy because that happens sometimes in sports.  He came back from it stronger than ever and had a lot of success.  His career tapered off towards the end because he went to the Arizona Cardinals which was a completely different situation than what he was in in Indy.  There wasn't the same type of offensive balance, he didn't have the same level of blocking for him, and there wasn't the same type of commitment to the running game.  It had nothing to do with his carries the first two years of his career.  The guy played 11 seasons as a RB and played until he was 30.  That's a more important number than 370.    

As a Packers fan Sterling Sharpe is horribly underrated but so is Robert Smith for the lack of carries he got with the Vikings.

Highly agree with you on Sharpe. He was unguardable before he got hurt.
  • Like 1

I would agree with that.

That's probably one of the worst analysis of a players career I've seen.  Edge tore his ACL in Indy because that happens sometimes in sports.  He came back from it stronger than ever and had a lot of success.  His career tapered off towards the end because he went to the Arizona Cardinals which was a completely different situation than what he was in in Indy.  There wasn't the same type of offensive balance, he didn't have the same level of blocking for him, and there wasn't the same type of commitment to the running game.  It had nothing to do with his carries the first two years of his career.  The guy played 11 seasons as a RB and played until he was 30.  That's a more important number than 370.    

I wasn't trying to say that he wasn't good or didn't have a great career.  I'm saying that he had the potential to be one of the best ever.  I don't know if the Colt realized that they wouldn't have the money to pay him, Peyton, #88, and still be able to field a defense, but they ran him like they had no regard for his future.  He was every bit as good as LaDanian Tomlinson, and on a higher profile team, but he's probably not going to get into the Hall of Fame.  It is purely speculation, but I honestly think he could have been elite for longer if he wouldn't have run so much his first couple of years. 

I wasn't trying to say that he wasn't good or didn't have a great career.  I'm saying that he had the potential to be one of the best ever.  I don't know if the Colt realized that they wouldn't have the money to pay him, Peyton, #88, and still be able to field a defense, but they ran him like they had no regard for his future.  He was every bit as good as LaDanian Tomlinson, and on a higher profile team, but he's probably not going to get into the Hall of Fame.  It is purely speculation, but I honestly think he could have been elite for longer if he wouldn't have run so much his first couple of years. 

For sure but I think being considered one of the best ever also has a lot to do with where you play.  If he stays in Indy I don't think it's even a discussion to be honest because his stats would be right there.  After he left there was always speculation of where that team would be if they still had Edge and weren't trotting out Dominic Rhodes and whatever other random backs were on the roster.  He would have been elite longer if he didn't leave to Arizona when his contract was up.  He signed that deal and it is what it is.  It wasn't the greatest situation for a running back there but maybe it was the best decision for him at the time.  I really don't think there's any negative in his career that can be attributed to his amount of carries in his first two seasons.  

Also, maybe he didn't care to be considered one of the best ever.  I don't understand a lot of these decisions and it's impossible to put myself in these guys shoes when these situations come up but there's so many times when a star player is in a contract situation where I say "why would they go there? why don't they just go here and win?" It's because they follow the money.  I don't get the mentality because I'm a fan.  I want my team to win so I assume they want to win too and that's their main goal but for a lot of these guys it's entirely possible that it's nothing but a job at that point.  For the life of me I don't understand why a player would sign for the most money available to them just because of that fact regardless of the status of the team they're going to.  My perspective is "you're already a multi millionaire, why don't you just put yourself in the best position to succeed?" But clearly that's not the case most of the time.  If I'm one of the best running backs in the league and I've already made 50 million bucks, I'm looking for the best offensive line I can get behind in the best position to win.  

As a Redskins diehard, I'm going to sum up the entire argument in 4 words, "Kirk Cousins fucking sucks".

Soon to be "Blaine Gabbert save us!" when you trade for him.