DVDVR Message Board

Best Punk Rock (or wahtever) Name

DEAN

The Mentors had their uses... They were my go-to band to get people to leave my house when a get-together was winding down. You would be amazed at how fast the Mentors can empty a room.

(Even faster than Leo Sayer's Greatest Hits). Yes, I am an evil bastard.

• Like 1

I figured it was too obvious for me to suggest Lux as I'm known to be the greatest Cramps fan in the world. I suppose we must give all due respect to the First Lady of Psychobilly, Poison Ivy Rorschach.

• Like 1

The Mentors had their uses... They were my go-to band to get people to leave my house when a get-together was winding down. You would be amazed at how fast the Mentors can empty a room.

This reminds me of two other things. 1. The guy running the bar on Tony Bourdain's show that ran bikers out (in wherever city. I think it was Chicago on The Layover) by playing opera on the jukebox. 2. Someone here that actually put on the film Aftermath to do the same thing at his homestead. Which is just... whew.

This reminds me of two other things. 1. The guy running the bar on Tony Bourdain's show that ran bikers out (in wherever city. I think it was Chicago on The Layover) by playing opera on the jukebox. 2. Someone here that actually put on the film Aftermath to do the same thing at his homestead. Which is just... whew.

True story: The McDonald's in downtown Seattle started to be a hangout for gang-bangers of al descriptions. They started playing C & W on their outside speakers and that took care of the problem immediately. Apparently, George Jones is too hardcore for gang-bangers.

• Like 3

HA! I forgot we actually have our own Cliff Hanger on the board. 

Sadly, I can't claim to be named for the guy from the Freeze; I took it after the aborted attempt to Americanize Lupin III in the 80s. 

And since we've spread into cowpunk and psychobilly, I gotta speak up for Country Dick Montana (of the Beat Farmers), Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper.

I can do a lot if we can get into metal, especially black metal. Necrocock and Silenthell from Czechia's Master's Hammer immediately come to mind. Me and some old bandmates were sitting around shooting the shit and we came up with our own 'black metal names'; our bass player came up with possibly the best one ever: the Recreational Church Burner.

(I was the Alcoholic Sodomizer btw)

I can do a lot if we can get into metal, especially black metal. Necrocock and Silenthell from Czechia's Master's Hammer immediately come to mind. Me and some old bandmates were sitting around shooting the shit and we came up with our own 'black metal names'; our bass player came up with possibly the best one ever: the Recreational Church Burner.

(I was the Alcoholic Sodomizer btw)

Does that imply that you would only sodomize alcoholics? Or that you are an alcoholic with a penchant for sodomy?  ;-) Seems rather confusing somehow. Recreational Church Burner is classic. As a tribute to the British Navy of a bygone era, let me offer up Rumsodomy Lash. ;-)

• Like 1

^no comment haha

Nice Pogues reference btw

So, TCM played The Decline of Western Civilization last night for whatever reason, and I was reminded of some more names: 

Derf Scratch

Chuck Dukowski (so disingenuous for the real mad genius of Black Flag, and a great tribute)

DJ Bonebreak

and maybe the ultimate...

KICKBOY FACE

Goddamn Claude Bessy is missed. Such an absolute smartass, loudmouthed frog prick who was completely brilliant. His band wasn't very good, but listening to him talk is fantastic. I've actually never read his writing in Slash but apparently somebody put the whole run of the zine on .pdf files according to Dangerous Minds: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_entire_print_run_of_classic_punk_slash_magazine_is_now_online I've got to get to those sometime. Just looking at what Dangerous Minds posted is so, so good. 

Oh yeah... I still have a crush on Exene Cervenka. Sorry John Doe (goddamn, that's another one!)

I just remembered about the Carcass member pseudonyms: K. Grumegargler, J. Offalmangler, and W.G. Thorax Embalmer. I paid tribute to them on the demo release of yet another band I was in by naming us G. Bongripper, C. Boxlifter, A. Dreadtwister, and S. Woodchipper. Dreadtwister should have been Dopeshooter but that was a little too on-the-nose; thankfully he's cleaned up his act in that respect. Sam still drums like a fucking woodchipper haha... and I still lift boxes.

KICKBOY FACE

Goddamn Claude Bessy is missed. Such an absolute smartass, loudmouthed frog prick who was completely brilliant. His band wasn't very good, but listening to him talk is fantastic. I've actually never read his writing in Slash but apparently somebody put the whole run of the zine on .pdf files according to Dangerous Minds: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_entire_print_run_of_classic_punk_slash_magazine_is_now_online I've got to get to those sometime. Just looking at what Dangerous Minds posted is so, so good.  

Oh yeah... I still have a crush on Exene Cervenka. Sorry John Doe (goddamn, that's another one!)

Catholic Discipline had a handful of really good songs. I think everyone in the band was a member of another band, so maybe that's why they never released anything.

The original lineup of X was in town last month with someone filling in on guitar for Billy Zoom (another great punk name). They were playing to benefit Zoom's medical bills. Sadly, I was broke and couldn't get to the show.

Bands like X, The Blasters, and Catholic Discipline really got me hooked on the LA punk scene of the late 70s.

Jane Wiedlin of The Go-Go's went by Jane Drano in her early years.

Because of this thread, I now know who the Mentors were and wish I didn't. 

They are Seattle's secret shame. It could be worse, you know who the Mentors were, I unfortunately KNEW the Mentors (one of my buddies was the only booking agent in town who would deal with them.)

Larry: "Hey John, this new band I'm working with is playing at a house party tonight, you and Kathy want to come?"

Me: "Kat's doing girl's night out, but I'm game, can I catch a ride with you?"

Larry: "Sure, I'll pick you up around nine."

Much later...

Larry: "So you and El Duce were in the same graduating class, what a cool coincidence."

Me: "No, he went to Roosevelt and I went to Ballard, same years, different schools. Oh, and Larry, one other thing... I'm going to fucking kill you for introducing me to those fuckheads."

• Like 1

Are they really a secret? I always thought they were pretty well known. I saw them after the reformation in 2001, I was going to see my friend's band, and the guy I went with couldn't remember who the headliner was, it turned out to be The Mentors. It wasn't all that impressive. 

I was always under the impression that it was all a gimmick anyway. Not that it excused any of the shit that El Duce said, but it seemed like people took that dumb shit way too seriously, same as GG.

As much as I love his cover of "Carmelita" I never thought I would hear someone say that it led them further into Zevon's catalog. That is fucking awesome.

Absolutely it is! Of course, it matters not how you get to Warren Zevon, the important thing is that you do.

Now back to the Mentors for a moment... While I can believe that some members of the band over the years were merely working the marks, I don't think that was the case with El Duce and Sickie. Within five minutes of meeting them, the former was telling me that he could buy 4 extra fifths of MD 20/20 per week because he had stopped buying toilet paper as his old lady knew what her tongue was for. What a lovely human being.

• 2 months later...