DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I'm having a lot of GTA connection problems - everything checks according to XBox, I can multiplayer just fine playing other games, but I have a hard time staying with people.

Dragon and I were in a race earlier today with 13 other people, so it's possible.

I've yet to play one I dislike, but the Rally one is my favorite. 'Bout ready to buy that Rally Obey (love those Obeys), but it's gonna be hell to drive when I soup it up, I just know it.

No, I'm pretty much a pacifist most of the time these days 'cause I'm tired of 12-year-olds kicking my ass.

Col. Klink used to tell Hogan "Dat is richtig" (that is correct) all the time. I also know "jawohl" (military "yes") thanks to Hogan's Heroes.

They have, I think, mandatory training in English in Austria, which is why Herby's so fluent in it. He was kind of amazed I never had any mandatory training in a second language. My local college does now, but not when I went, thank God. I hated to tell him that in 47 years, that's the first time I've been surrounded by people talking something other than English, so I think foreign languages in college is a scheme by college to take away more of students' money.

I'm kind of surprised you weren't required to take a second language as well.  I had to take 2 years in high school, back in the 80s.  I took German for some reason, though I barely remember any of it.

Being surrounded by non-English speakers is a fairly common occurrence for me.  Usually it's Spanish, though.  First time I met my wife's family was at a funeral.  I had been up all night finishing up a grad school project, then hopped on a plane to El Paso for the funeral.  I passed out at her grandparents' house, and woke up a few hours later to find she had gone to meet her parents at the funeral home.  In the meantime a bunch of her relatives from rural Mexico had got in, and were hanging around the house.  Figured out pretty quick that I was the only English speaker there, and I knew practically no Spanish at that time.  I felt like a gringo.

• Like 1

We learned French and German at our school (although some schools in England do Spanish instead*). My Dad learned French, Spanish and Latin at his school, and then learned Italian after he retired. Almost every country in Western Europe teaches every kid English though... plus some of their TV channels show American TV shows subtitled, rather than dubbed. The vast majority of French people speak better English than I speak French.

* In Wales they either do Welsh or English as the second language**, but only very few schools in Scotland or Northern Ireland learn either version of Gaelic. I think Republic of Ireland schools do teach Irish Gaelic as a second language though.

** In some parts of Wales, Welsh is the first language and they speak English like foreigners.

Everyonce in a while this games single player surprises and amazes me. After doing some stock market bullshit, I go to Trevor to get him his money, only to find him, on a Scooter, trailing another guy on a Scooter on the high way, proclaiming them the "Scooter Brothers".... over and over again. It made my night. That is all.

• Like 1

That's actually Rockstar's acknowledgment of a very funny user-made video of a guy playing GTA 4. I think it's cool they acknowledged it, considering it got 6 million hits:

Broughy has weighed in on the new cars:

* Apparently, the $2.5 million Super is the fastest in the game. Won't be buying it.

* The new compact blows away everything in the class. Just toasts it. I could tell it was faster than the Rhapsody as soon as I bought it before souping it up. I had that feeling when I was getting blown away in the new compact race by, oh, everyone in the field.

* The new BF400 motorcycle can be used in offroad races and just toasts the Sanchez. If you like riding motorcycles in offroad races (like me), there's a new king in town. The BF400 was quicker than my tricked-out Sanchez when driven stock and is on par with regular motorcycles in terms of speed. Can't wait to try this out in an offroad race.

That's what's messed up - these new vehicles aren't just a shade better, they're leaps and bounds better. If you want to compete in a compact race, you have to have this new car. If you like motorcycles in offroad races, you pretty much have to have this new bike, for someone will. That's how they get yer damn money.

• Like 1

Los Santos has a powerful connection to us my friend. 

Besides, we're doing loop-de-loops 5000 feet above the ground over downtown.  I will take that over Marsden looking sad on a horse. :)

• Like 1

He's too busy buying motorcickles than buying XBox Ones.

RDR's multiplayer is sadly broken anyway.

I like the game, and keep meaning to come back to it. But I'm really not good at combat and need to get better.

• Like 1

New teleporting/creator glitch is out on PS4 now. This one is worse than the prop stacking one, since you're able to shoot. 

Cristobal's mortal enemy and myself encountered one of these guys while in the middle of an Executive Search. He was hiding and the guy warps right to him and guns him down. He also did this to people's crate missions. 

Heads up. 

**edit**

Hey look, footage of the teleport. Orange CEO in the middle of the map is the culprit. Jump to 1:20 to see where he is before warping at the 1:40 mark... 

*sigh*

Fired this up on my 360 in story mode so that I can exorcise yet another demon from my Pile of Shame.   I was too busy playing GTA Online to finish the story and then other games got priority.

Used the new badass Hakuchou to win Franklin's illegal motorcycle race around the Vespucci Canals.  That completes the last road race that I had left to win.  Better late than never, I suppose.  Thank God, I wasn't so far removed from playing this that I forgot that Franklin owned the LS Customs in Sandy Shores and I got the bike mods done for free.

I think I am at 52 or 60 missions, but I still have 5 properties to buy and 20 or so Stunt Jumps to make before I get 100% Completion.  Naturally I plan to make all 50 Stunt Jumps to get the achievement and I am saving Lester's assassination missions until after the final story mission so that I can manipulate the stock market and purchase all of the properties / spend a shit ton of money.

Oh, Trevor, I spent all of that time hooking you up with Ursula and you profess your love for Mary-Ann?  I am sad.

I fucked up and picked the Fire Crew option for the Bureau Heist.  Something tells me I should've taken the cash hit for Franklin's take in order to bring Rickie along and train up his hacker skills.  Oh, well.  I don't have a save in the past that I can go back to and change the plan around and after a three year hiatus, I'm not starting a new game now that I am at 86% completion..

I played through all of story mode again when I wanted the 100%. Although I had to, because it glitched a mission out of existence somehow (I think it's because I hadn't finished the story before the update to allow online came out, and somehow downloading that messed things up), and even after I'd finished the story it said 68 of 69 missions completed. But it is a good story, and I noticed things second time around that I'd let slip before. Like the cult thing and that.

There wasn't too much of the obvious content that I let slip by.  I still haven't seen the Ghost of Mount Gordo or looked for any of the Infinity Killer stuff, but I followed through on ferrying victims to their doom at the Altruist Cult until the big double-cross.

I had Michael bike up Mt. Gordo to visit the yoga shrine and was nearly mangled by a cougar, so fuck the ghost sighting for the time being.

I had to cheat a bit to figure out which random encounters were safe to take to the cannibals since you can mess around and miss an opportunity to make cash or gain some other perk. 

As Trevor, I spared Taliana Martinez (potential crew getaway driver) and Ursula (crazy booty call babe you pick up at the SS Marina).

I saved the rescue the mob princess in distress (Antonia Bottino?) and get the hot tip stock broker to the airport encounters for Franklin to complete so that he would have some extra cash to invest while doing the very first assassination mission for Lester.

I didn't have the heart to take the poor bastard tied to the tree up to the Altruists on his wedding day.

• Like 1

Went to visit the Ghost of Mount Gordo before heading in to work today.  Too bad that you cannot get some justice for Jolene Cranley-Evan like you did for Lenora Johnson, but that would mean assassinating a gubernatorial candidate and handing the election over to Sue Murray. 

The irony is not lost on me that we are facing as horrible of a choice in this real life presidential election as the citizens of Los Santos were in the race for the Governor's mansion. 

I wonder if the ghost sighting was content for an actual mission that never made it to the actual game?

It still annoys me that there is a Bleeter update and a WEAZEL News radio blurb about the Lenora Johnson murder being solved after Franklin murders Peter Dreyfuss, but there is no update on the Lenora Johnson tribute website on the GTA 5 fake internet.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I did find the sunken UFOs and what appeared to be one or two of the victims of the Infinity Killer while looking for submarine pieces, but I never made the connection between the dead bodies and the other shit going on in Sandy Shore.

54 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Went to visit the Ghost of Mount Gordo before heading in to work today.  Too bad that you cannot get some justice for Jolene Cranley-Evan like you did for Lenora Johnson, but that would mean assassinating a gubernatorial candidate and handing the election over to Sue Murray. 

The irony is not lost on me that we are facing as horrible of a choice in this real life presidential election as the citizens of Los Santos were in the race for the Governor's mansion. 

I wonder if the ghost sighting was content for an actual mission that never made it to the actual game?

It still annoys me that there is a Bleeter update and a WEAZEL News radio blurb about the Lenora Johnson murder being solved after Franklin murders Peter Dreyfuss, but there is no update on the Lenora Johnson tribute website on the GTA 5 fake internet.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I did find the sunken UFOs and what appeared to be one or two of the victims of the Infinity Killer while looking for submarine pieces, but I never made the connection between the dead bodies and the other shit going on in Sandy Shore.

It probably says something that I've played a million hours of this game, but have no idea what any of this means, outside of Rockstar's startling prescience concerning the 2016 election.  I did eventually complete the main storyline in single player, but I really didn't even scratch the surface on any side stuff.