DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I was instigating like a fiend the other day because I needed five kills for my daily objectives. I'll instigate when I'm on with crew, because that's what we do. I'm generally pretty much live and let live otherwise. One of my favorite things to do is sticky bomb up the ol' car and hit the road. I then simply get near other players. If they just sit there or drive off, they get spared. They start shooting at me, and they're on the bad end of a KABOOM! It's a test.

I've had several cases where I reflexively kill someone heading toward me, even though they were probably trying to help. Last guy who did so called mercenaries and a mugger on me at the same time, while putting a $9,000 bounty on me. His ass couldn't cash the check he wrote, though, and I punished him until he ran away from me screaming.

GTA Online is very much a social experiment designed to not be played the same way every time.

• Like 1

My unicorn in GTA Online was the elusive Platinum Medal for getting a Special Crate.  Never made it.  Always got griefed and then some other player nabbed it while I was returning grief to my griefer.

I think I was done with GTA Online when I realized that they'd never flush the hacked times out of the Race Database, so I'd never have a chance to get my Devil Girl tattoo for breaking a World Record. 

I wasn't around for the Day One glitch where everyone got the Devil Girl tattoo just for winning the intro race.  That's how RUkered got his.

And now they've disappeared completely. The crates we're talking about are a whole different game mechanic. They're like missions inside of Freemode.

And yeah, if you had the patience to do it, it'd be ideal to work crates in a public room where you're the only one in it. I find the whole crate thing kinda boring and repetitive, but if I'm gonna screw with them, it's either gonna be in a one-person room or a room so small that everyone's cooperating.

J.T. probably wasn't around for when they reset the world records and you'd generally set a world record with every race, I guess. Never been an achievement guy. I'm sure there are some I still lack.

I hated that world record shit.  I mean some of us earned our world records the hard way.  We ran a shit ton of races till the game eventually glitched and gave us one.  Giving every wet behind the years 12 year old a world record cheapened that for us.

And there are still plenty of achievements I don't have.  I'm not even close to the one you get for winning one of every type of event.  It unlocks a tattoo and everything.  Not that I have room for it.

3 hours ago, Robert C said:

And there are still plenty of achievements I don't have.  I'm not even close to the one you get for winning one of every type of event.  It unlocks a tattoo and everything.  Not that I have room for it.

I've had that tattoo for years. I would have had it even earlier, but I'd forgotten to Arm Wrestle.

I got a few legit World Records too. Right after they were reset the first time I got one in a race with Gonzalez, who was sour grapey about it. Then after the Beach Bum update I got one in a new race that nobody had done before, with Evil Neil and Cristobal. Who both said congratulated me and seemed genuinely impressed (Neil did it in this thread, he never had a headset; As I once told Havoc, Neil is the boss of our crew and we have to do everything he tells us, but he doesn't have a mic and therefore never tells us to do anything).

Yeah, the first time I noticed I had that tattoo unlocked, I just thought I must have gotten hammered and developed some sudden racing skill one night. 

I have it with my second character too because there was a glitchy period where you could practically get out of the car and moonwalk across the finish line and still get a world record.

All this race talk reminded me about the glitch in Criminal Records early on that would level you up quickly. I got about 10-15 levels out of that thing.

Also on the topic of racing...Stout, you want to get on and do Stairway to Heaven tonight???

• Like 3

I was voted to be kicked out of three lobbies today. Two of which I was. So, after a nice break of frequent playing, it's nice to see that I'm earning that dunce cap again. I just hope I don't get thrown in the slammer for four days. I don't want to go in there again.

XKETjOG.jpg

• Like 3

Stout's mental state has been a source of worry for decades now.

I've wondered why you haven't closed it already. We could either start a new thread or stink up another one. Or, we could change the Rocket League or Sunset Overdrive threads over to a GTA thread, because none of you people give a crap about either of those games.

Speaking of the Rocket League/GTA connection, two guys on a three-man team I was playing against the other night had pot-related nicknames. One apparently smokes dabs 24/7. Someone tell me how these people can smoke pot apparently ALL the time and still be able to play a videogame competently? Last time I smoked pot, it was all I could do to keep from drooling and passing out. These assholes are stomping me in every videogame I play.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jstout said:

I've wondered why you haven't closed it already. We could either start a new thread or stink up another one. Or, we could change the Rocket League or Sunset Overdrive threads over to a GTA thread, because none of you people give a crap about either of those games.

Because someone (I can't remember who but it is at least it was a 50% chance it was you) was like YOU CAN NEVER CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!

Of course - that was like 250 pages ago.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

IT'S STILL A FEW MONTHS AWAY FROM BEING 3 YEARS OLD

My brain has decided to skip ahead to late September, when the temperature hopefully won't be a million degrees anymore, and I'l be starting my sabbatical from work.

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Because someone (I can't remember who but it is at least it was a 50% chance it was you) was like YOU CAN NEVER CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!

Of course - that was like 250 pages ago.

T'weren't me, honestly, because even if it's closed, it's not like it's deleted. Besides, it's your freakin' board. I have no right to care what you do.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I would close the thread since it would be appropriate but I would worry about Stout's mental state if I did

Just being Devil's Advocate, but the original Mass Effect thread is still open.  Matter of fact there are two ME threads now; one for the original trilogy and another to discuss Andromeda and beyond.

It was never about length of time - it was "file size"

The current ME thread is only 66 pages. And that is dedicated to 3 games. This thread is technically about 1.

Every since the new board started - thanks to advice from others (and to help with load time etc...) I try to keep threads way smaller than this.

I will have to search but I don't think there is another thread over 200 pages on the board.

And to answer your original question - the original thread on the old board approximately 180 pages before the board died (I just looked via wayback)

Shut it down, split it up and shut it down, do whatever you can to keep our beloved board up and running smooth, general.

I've wondered why you didn't shut it down before now. I've seen long threads just play havoc on other boards. I figured that was one of the big reasons behind the move to having monthly threads for some of the "greatest hits" topics like general discussions.

This thread has always been grandfathered in.

Honestly - I always figured I would do it at a certain event. Just none of them have been reached yet

1) 500 pages

2) VI is officially announced

3) I finally rebuy it and finally play the single player

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It was never about length of time - it was "file size"

The current ME thread is only 66 pages. And that is dedicated to 3 games. This thread is technically about 1.

Every since the new board started - thanks to advice from others (and to help with load time etc...) I try to keep threads way smaller than this.

I will have to search but I don't think there is another thread over 200 pages on the board.

And to answer your original question - the original thread on the old board approximately 180 pages before the board died (I just looked via wayback)

If we're talking file size then I see your point as this thread is not only huge but chock full of video links and whatnot.

• Like 1