DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

They're a bit harder to lose offline, yeah. But there's an art to not losing them as well, isn't there?

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:47 AM, AxB said:

I think I'm the only person on the PS side who actually went and got the Platinum, last September. Don't know if anyone on the XBox side bothered with it.

If getting Platinum means dealing with Heists now that most of the Xbox peeps have moved on to XB1, then no.  No platinum for me. 

I think I am done with GTA5 on 360 once I deal with 100% Completion of Story Mode. 

I've got no interest in finishing up the Heists content on 360.

2 hours ago, jstout said:

Are the cops harder to lose than online? JT, you should know thousands of ducking points to lose the cops from your brief time spent online.

My normal egress route from the cops is to hit the Metro entrance near the big construction site in Midtown (the site closest to Simeon's car lot) and drive through the tunnels until I lose the cops, but the problem with using that escape route in Story Mode is that there are active subway trains that will seriously damage your vehicle if they hit you head on.

Also, I can't shake the one time too quickly if I am trying to get the Three Man Army achievement.  I have to keep them busy during a three-star Wanted level for at least three minutes.

I started and finished the big FIB / Merryweather gunfight part of The Third Way, but then it was time for work. 

Hopefully my folk's won't accidentally un-pause my game while I am working the swing shift and I will finish up when I get home from the SCIF.. 

I think I got in my headshots but there is no telling what my weapon accuracy percentage is and I wasn't about to use a pistol or a shotgun during that bullshit.

On 28/07/2016 at 2:44 AM, J.T. said:

If getting Platinum means dealing with Heists now that most of the Xbox peeps have moved on to XB1, then no.  No platinum for me. 

I think I am done with GTA5 on 360 once I deal with 100% Completion of Story Mode. 

I've got no interest in finishing up the Heists content on 360.

To get the Platinum, you need to get every trophy in the game, AT LAUNCH. DLC trophies don't count. But you need all the online ones before the Heist update; Most people are missing either the "Win in all Competitive Game Types" one, because they never won Tennis or Arm Wrestling or something*, or the "Win a Rally Race as co-Driver" one, because fuck Rally Races, or the "25 Platinum Awards", or "Do Everything Once".

But yeah, if you've got all the online-only trophies already (I got all of them without really noticing, but I'm a completionist) the story mode ones are much easier.

* If you've unlocked the Angel tattoo on your back, you've done this. Which is why my character wears that tattoo, and shows it off. Because 4% of GTA online players have it.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

I started and finished the big FIB / Merryweather gunfight part of The Third Way, but then it was time for work. 

Hopefully my folk's won't accidentally un-pause my game while I am working the swing shift and I will finish up when I get home from the SCIF.. 

I think I got in my headshots but there is no telling what my weapon accuracy percentage is and I wasn't about to use a pistol or a shotgun during that bullshit.

Its been so long now i only remember parts of the story now. 

I play games more than once for the same reason I re-read books. Although arguably games can be better because (depending on the game) it's not always the same story. 

17 hours ago, AxB said:

To get the Platinum, you need to get every trophy in the game, AT LAUNCH. DLC trophies don't count. But you need all the online ones before the Heist update; Most people are missing either the "Win in all Competitive Game Types" one, because they never won Tennis or Arm Wrestling or something*, or the "Win a Rally Race as co-Driver" one, because fuck Rally Races, or the "25 Platinum Awards", or "Do Everything Once".

But yeah, if you've got all the online-only trophies already (I got all of them without really noticing, but I'm a completionist) the story mode ones are much easier.

* If you've unlocked the Angel tattoo on your back, you've done this. Which is why my character wears that tattoo, and shows it off. Because 4% of GTA online players have it.

Oh, if that is the case then I will platinum the game once I finish the story, do stunt jumps, take care of this Three Man Army thing, and manipulate the stock market via the assassination mission and use the revenue to buy all of the properties.   After that, the only remaining achievements left will be related to the Heist DLC.

I got my Angel tattoo a long time ago thanks to Jobber Thursdays, but I prefer to wear the Wages of Sin back tattoo to go with all of my other skull-related ink. 

And fuck. 

I rage quit The Third Way last night after pulling off a spectacular headshot kill with Trevor and getting away clean, blowing up Wei Cheng while bullet driving, and then stabbing Stretch and grabbing the wrong weapon to clear out the remaining Ballaz. 

What I thought was my Special Carbine was actually my twitch armed Grenade Launcher which I accidentally fired at my feet.

Mission Failed.  Michael Has Died....  Shit...

I stared at the screen for a moment before erupting into a tirade of swearing and fury and then I bounced with my dad to go and see an advanced screening of Jason Bourne (which was not that great).  

I have a lot to do this weekend, so I probably won't make another attempt at Option C until Monday night.  Knowing me, I'll probably play the whole mission from the beginning.  There is an autosave right before the trio heads off to take out their targets, but using that checkpoint will probably invalidate my mission medal stats towards completion time, shooting accuracy, and headshot count.

• Like 1

So, since it is a slow news day, several tech news sites are reporting rumor bullshit about GTA 6 being set in London or Tokyo or that it will be time locked to the 90's even though Rockstar has neither confirmed nor denied nor even made an announcement about anything related to GTA 6.

We all know that most likely it will be set in Vice City, although I would love a game set in San Fierro during the start of the Silicon Valley Golden Age or something set in a more modern Las Venturas.

Knowing Rockstar, they will stay away from San Fierro now that we all know that the Watch_Dogs 2.0 will be set in Frisco.

I think those London/Tokyo stories are now auto generated.  Either that or people just steal decade old articles and change GTA4 to GTA6 and PS2 to PS4.

Also, if Rockstar would announce the next game is set in Vice City, they can have my money today.  I don't care if the game doesn't come out till next decade.

• Like 1

They may as well go ahead and call Vice City as the new location. 

I've already got my mind set on beating you clowns in Sea-Doo races and getting into shootouts with the El Corporación.

The thought of being left behind on Mass Effect: Andromeda and GTA 6 Online should wound my pride badly enough to force me to scrape together XBone money.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Knowing Rockstar, they will stay away from San Fierro now that we all know that the Watch_Dogs 2.0 will be set in Frisco.

If Watch Dogs reproduces the Bay Area as faithfully as it did Chicago, Rockstar might as well set it in San Fierro just to show Ubisoft up.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 1:29 PM, Cristobal said:

If Watch Dogs reproduces the Bay Area as faithfully as it did Chicago, Rockstar might as well set it in San Fierro just to show Ubisoft up.

I could see that, but the WD 2.0 developer vids seem to sting of a silent confession of grasp not extending as far as reach.  It sounds like Ubi is determined to deliver a much better product this time around.

That being said, Rockstar has usually exceeded my expectations by huge margins when it comes to world building.  They do it better than Bethesda, Bioware, or maybe even Square - Enix.

That being said, GTA6 needs to be set in Vice mother fucking City and one of those assholes needs to read Queen Of The South and make the main antagonist a female.  I think we're ready for another Catalina.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2016 at 0:43 PM, J.T. said:

That being said, GTA6 needs to be set in Vice mother fucking City and one of those assholes needs to read Queen Of The South and make the main antagonist a female.  I think we're ready for another Catalina.

I love this idea. I can just see the gamergaters blowing up twitter with their whining. Catalina was a badass. 

• Like 1

To Live & Die In Los Santos UNLOCKED~! 

• After yet another accidental grenade suicide (WTF is up with my controller?), I said Fuck It and ran with the auto-save to skip the FIB / Merryweather firefight and go straight to the boss murdering. Final Story Mission Complete.... sort of.... 
  • So..um... yeah... Remember how if you are Trevor and you are unfortunate enough to drive near Stab City or Hookies when the Lost are there, they will agro and start shooting at you for... you know... killing so many of their gang members?  Well..... When I drove past Hookies as Trevor on my way to keep Devin's appointment with the Gates of Hell, four members of the Lost pulled out behind me onto the freeway in formation and... well.... they started shooting.... When the Lost open fire at your car trying to hit you, the bullets will penetrate the trunk...... and they will hit Devon instead......  If Devin dies from getting shot... you can fail the mission... The rage you will feel will be unimaginable..  You don't even get the satisfaction of murdering the bikers for fucking things up at the worst possible time..
  • Lamar came through solid.  I will never say another bad thing about him ever again.
  • RIP Devin Weston.  You fucked with the wrong guy's family, slick.. Finally this asshole is char broiled fish food after four rage quits. 
  • RIP Steve Haines.  That's why I say, "Hey, man. Nice shot!"
  • RIP Wei Cheng.  489?  187, mother fucker!
  • RIP Harold Joseph.... Hook ass sell-out got what was comin' to him.
  • As I suspected, there were no medal stats for weapon accuracy, mission time, or headshots, but I did get the special kill stuff in and got a Silver for The Third Option.... and Bronzes for the roads not taken, what the fuck?  Hopefully I don't have to replay the shit Kill Michael and Kill Trevor options for 100% Completion.
  • The news article on Stretch's murder says he was gunned down even though I stabbed him to death with a knife like I was supposed to.  The Ballaz that were with him on the basketball court, however...yeah, they got gunned down.
  • So I get a psych evaluation from beyond the grave prepared by the late Dr. Friedlander.  I am an obsessive completionist and I am loyal and honorable, yet extremely violent.  This is news?  Wait a minute.  Gamer Me sounds like a little like Trevor, only without the hygiene issues, Canadian nationality, Caucasian ethnicity, and meth addiction! 
  • Option C is by far the best way to go.  GTA Litmus Test:  If the choice you've made results in taking a course of action where no character that has betrayed you or pissed you off is left alive, it is the best possible end result even if you end up dead yourself.
  • Friedlander also bleets from post mortem after the Meltdown mission.  I guess canon (whatever the fuck that is) is to let him get away.  Fuck that..
  • Dan Hauser:  "So here is an idea folks.   Lets find some of the songs on the soundtrack that have the most offensive lyrics and play them during the final credits!"  I thought my mom was going to smash my console while Life Of A Mack was on.  Thank God that the Channel X track for the end credits was What's Next and not Pervert.

Three Man Army UNLOCKED~! 

• Switched in between characters to make sure they all had full armor,
  • switched back to Franklin and had him call up Trevor and MIchael,
  • picked up the fellas,
  • had Franklin pull a drive by on Airport Security,
  • immediate three stars,. 
  • did donuts around the LSA runway in Franklin's armored Buffalo S,
  • went just fast enough to keep the cops engaged but not so fast that I would lose them,
  • achievement.

I think I am at 17 / 50 Stunt Jumps. 

• I'm using Franklin as the driver and he's rolling in a modded Vindicator.  The bike is a bit heavy in the ass, but the upgraded engine and transmission gives it the boost it needs to make the jumps and naturally that is augmented by Franklin's bullet driving. 
  • Holy shit, these jumps are all over the map.  Takes a good bit of traveling to get to the suggested starting points.
  • Thank God for quick save so that I can save close to the starting point and reload my game if I fuck up the jump on an attempt.
  • That jump from Ursula's place to the small island where the Mount Gordo lighthouse is can really kiss my black ass.
  • That jump into Bolingbroke Prison can really kiss my black ass.
  • Looks like a lot of the jumps are clustered close together in some areas so hopefully this won't take as long as I think it will.

Once I am done with stunt jumps, I will do the assassination mission / stock market stuff and the properties I buy and missions I complete should give me 100% and unlock the last two achievements I need for Platinum.

There is a ? at Trevor's trailer in Sandy Shores.   I am guessing that is the infamous mission where you meet Trevor's mother.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I love this idea. I can just see the gamergaters blowing up twitter with their whining. Catalina was a badass. 

Catalina was a great villain and I finished reading Queen of the South just in time for the series to start on USA and for La Reina Del Sur to show up on FiOS On Demand.

I'm definitely in favor of a similar type of female antagonist for GTA 6 if it is set in Vice City.

The thing I am strangely most excited about the stunts creator is that creators will be able to make some really good basic tracks with the road layouts. You'll start to see traditional ovals, re-creations of famous European road courses, etc. Just because you have the tubes and big ramps doesn't mean you have to use them.

So, J.T., which three-year-old game are you finishing after finishing GTA 5? You could take up Candy Crush.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

When you get back Rob,  Me, you, Stout, and Dolfan need to try running through the heists as a group. Think it'd be a blast. 

By "blast," you mean "frustrating" after I get killed repeatedly. I'm absolutely horrible at this game now - was never really good before, but time hasn't been kind to me. I might could pull off the first two-person heist as long as I'm not running that got-dang drill, but the others can kiss my ass.

I don't see how we got through the prison break one before, or the one where you gotta steal the car from the heavily guarded ship. Every time I've made it through the last one has been a combination of old-fashioned Kuruma cheating and sheer freaking luck. How's about we just grind Titan of a Job over and over again? Or we can run around in Freemode picking on Level 20s. That might be my speed these days.

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think I am at 17 / 50 Stunt Jumps. 

• I'm using Franklin as the driver and he's rolling in a modded Vindicator.  The bike is a bit heavy in the ass, but the upgraded engine and transmission gives it the boost it needs to make the jumps and naturally that is augmented by Franklin's bullet driving. 
  • Holy shit, these jumps are all over the map.  Takes a good bit of traveling to get to the suggested starting points.
  • Thank God for quick save so that I can save close to the starting point and reload my game if I fuck up the jump on an attempt.
  • That jump from Ursula's place to the small island where the Mount Gordo lighthouse is can really kiss my black ass.
  • That jump into Bolingbroke Prison can really kiss my black ass.
  • Looks like a lot of the jumps are clustered close together in some areas so hopefully this won't take as long as I think it will.

Some of those jumps down at the docks are nightmarish - there's on in particular which is basically impossible if you're not Franklin because you need a long run-up, but there's no straight run because there's a building in the way. So you need to make an exact turn at the exact right split second or you miss, and without Franklin's ability to slow down time, you're fucked.

Unless you're PetrolCB, who completed all the Stunt Jumps online. Show off.

I know as soon as I see Roast get on GTA Online that he might need help with his daily objectives and I oughta pop on to see if I can lend a hand.

Sure enough, a few minutes later and we're battling over the skies of Los Santos in Buzzards with some random. He may have thought we were gonna gang up on him, being in the same crew and all, but it turned into A FIGHT TO THE DEATH~! between all of us. At one point, I had Ricky Random fully targeted for what must have been a minute solid while I managed to miss every missile I threw at him.

Then I came back into Freemode just in time for one of those things that pisses me off the most, people fucking with me during Criminal Damage. I plan on killing no one with the tank, it's just my weapon of choice for Criminal Damage. I'm live and let live in a tank. But NOOOOOO! Everybody's gotta fuck with me. I even got Allah Akbared to finish off the tank, dammit. These two shitheads had to get blown up twice driving around in their little gun turret armored car. Show's over, I go back into passive, got no desire to fight these numbnuts. So the two in the armored car (Insurgent? I forget) get one of those big-ass helicopters and try to blast me repeatedly while I was in passive. I just sat there while they got it out of their system.

They got knocked out of that and was back in their armored car stat. Game's kinda ran its course.