DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

I've noticed that one of my teenage internet nephews (my term for squeakers that I actually like) is playing GTA Online rather than Destiny.  Knowing what I know about the game, I am half tempted to rat him out to his parents.

• Like 3

My Daily Objectives streak ends at two days. Nobody accepts One on One Deathmatches any more, and nobody challenges you to them. Everyone knows they're basically death sentences now.

Rockstar should put a tweak in so that anyone doing a One on One can't actually be killed by anyone who's not in it. Like they're in Passive to everyone except the person they're fighting. Then people would do them all the time.

See when you're playing as a female avatar, and some kid starts trying to have Cybersex with you why do they always leave the session before you can tell them you're a man and that means they're a gay boy now? Do these kids have no staying power?

See when you're playing as a female avatar, and some kid starts trying to have Cybersex with you why do they always leave the session before you can tell them you're a man and that means they're a gay boy now? Do these kids have no staying power?

You have to sell the character till afterwards. Or, play it off and then reveal yourself as Ciclope a guy after victory.

I've found that lower-level players are more likely to challenge you to a one-on-one deathmatch. I think they haven't figured out what a deathtrap it is, plus they accidentally push the wrong button on respawn and issue a challenge they didn't mean to issue. So, pick on the little guy.

Another possible solution is to put yourself in a hopeless situation where you're going to get your ass kicked. Then someone's more likely to take your deathmatch request to kick it. Wander into a group of five guys, all in the same crew, then start whacking the deathmatch challenge button when you get killed. They'll get cocky and take you up on it. Even if you get your brains kicked in, it's just temporary, and you've gotten your objective.

I ran around once in a Bad Sport lobby challenging a guy who kept blowing me up with a jet to a one-on-one deathmatch. He finally accepted. I didn't fare well (5-0 loss), but I got my objective.

The worst one I've ever had is doing the impromptu races. I have yet to con someone into doing one. Next time, I'm going to just message people and ask them straight up.

And vehicle deathmatches. I think I'd sooner get a heist crew of randoms together before I'd get one person to accept my invitation to Desert Storm.

• Like 1

People join Buzzard Deathmtaches. They don't join Tank Deathmatches, because Tank Deathmatches suck. Not as bad as regular Deathmatches with Tanks in them do, but close.

The only times I've got a Stranger to do an impromptu race with me is right after I've done them a favour for an objective (shooting range or tennis or something). Or if I'm driving something slow as hell and they're in a Zentorno or T20.

There's not much more satisfying that starting a Deathmatch, going for a piss break halfway through, and coming back downstairs to find you're still winning. Especially when it's against someone wearing a Bulletproof helmet and spamming RPGs every chance he gets.

Oh, and the best part was, the kid wanted to do a Deathmatch in the first place as a way of getting revenge on me for winning the races and dominating the Seige Mentalities. Ha Ha Ha no.

Do any of you ever do any of the (can't remember what they're called) missions like Hasta La Vista? Bicycles versus semis and things like that. I know Dan and I did one once and got our asses whipped, but it was hilarious.

I thought they were fun, but they kind of just showed up and then interest died pretty quickly.

• Like 1

I love the Hasta la Vistas. But they came out at the same time as heists, and have the same 'need 4 people to start this thing' requirement as heists do. And if you're going to sit in a lobby for ages, waiting for people to join... might as well be for the high paying job.

I need to do one though, because every time I go online the game tells me about this new game mode I should try. It refuses to believe I've done it already.

Yep, what AxB said. Randoms don't wanna do anything except heists (and I can't believe those aren't played out by now) and snipers/stunters and variations. I also get a lot of invites to the trap stunt deathmatches (billion RP and $ parkour crap). You also get several people trying to start demolition derby-type things. Those are hit and miss.

Best way to really get some work out of game modes is to have enough players you know to do it. Too bad Tuesday Night Titans fizzled out before Hasta la Vistas - we probably would've taken very perverse pleasure in splatting each other with tractor-trailers. I miss having a crowd doing that Lodge deathmatch - the one that's played in a shoebox.

That Siege Mentality mode was just the worst. You know, I still haven't played a Come Out to Play match. I didn't care for Cross the Line (though I'm not giving up on it yet) and I've been dying to have a gang enough to do one of those Hunting Pack ones. I've only had one random even try to start one of those, and he didn't get enough people to do it, I think. Something happened.

I've been wanting to play again, but work is stomping a mudhole in my ass and walking it dry. This too shall pass.

Seige Mentalities work with a full room, because the point of the mode is lots of guys with limited weapons and infinite lives vs a few guys with great weapons and one life. But good players hate it, because they're expected to die three times to get one kill and their precious K/D ratio might take a hit. Doing a Seige Mentality with one two or three guys, the hold out has to be an idiot to lose... if you're holding an Assault Shotgun and a guy with a Sawn-Off kills you, it's not just because they're good, is it?

Getting more accustomed to the Online portion of the game.  It seems the best (most fun + most money) way to get money is the survival modes.  Boneyard and Processed feel like they're the easiest ones of the bunch to survive Wave 10.  Haven't played Legion Square yet.  Maze Bank & Del Perro Pier are crapshoots.  I want to give Processed a shot solo, but it seems whenever I get there, I trigger a gang attack job.

Processed can definitely be done solo. Go to your start button, go to the second tab over (is it Options? I don't have my game on right now), go to Jobs, then Rockstar Created, then Survivals, then you can pick whichever you like and start it from anywhere.

The gang attacks occur during certain times of the day. If there's a gang attack somewhere where you're wanting to poke around, just come back later.

Probably the easiest money are some of the heists. The introductory one pays rather well to be so easy. But if they're not as fun for you as survivals, keep doing survivals.

[old man mode] Back when most of us first started out, Survivals were THE way to make money. I can't count the amount of times I've played Boneyard. Some of us can solo it, but I can't handle it. I can do it with one other person, no problem. I've been playing this game since it first came out and have yet to even get CLOSE to finishing the Industrial Plant survival.

Boneyard seems to have ramped up significantly in difficulty.  I used to solo it all the time.  The last few times I tried that, I got my ass whipped.

Industrial plant can definitely be finished if you've got somebody that knows what they're doing.  melraz has a spot somewhere that makes all the difference for that one.  I think I've finished all of them now.  The sawmill was the last one, I think.

Were you on when Dan, myself, and Stout(?) tore that one to shreds?  

Hell that thing was fucking impossible for a long time, and we didn't lose a single life last time we tried it.  

Industrial Plant can go fuck itself with how hard it is.

They really can and should make a few new ones.  Altruist Camp, Military Base, Merryweather HQ, and the airport could all easily hold one.

Ages ago, Havoc made a playlist of all the Survivals. He started it with the easier ones with just him and Luke, then I joined on like the third or fourth, and Cristobal joined one or two after me. And we finished the lot of them, Industrial Plant, Sawmill Plant, everything.

Way back about exactly two years ago, when being level 25 was impressive, I'd always start every playing session with a Survival. So I'd have an RPG and Minigun handy if I needed them later. They're also probably the best way to level up your shooting skill when you're totally new. Railyard used to be the easiest, because it was like a safer version of Del Perro Pier, you could camp one side of the map and all of the enemies would spawn all the way across the other side... and there was no clutter in the middle, so it was clean Sniper shots all day. That got patched in like November '13, because it was so easy to spam that for cash and RP. You could do it five times and make $100,000!

That was a lot of money then.