DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

What system are you on, Shylock? Because you've access to expert crewmates on every machine (except PC I think). On PS3, PetrolCB strolls through heist finales (on hard) with his eyes closed at this point, and I'm a Platinummer. XBox 360 is a little short because everyone went to the One except Melraz. PS4 has Cristobal, who's good all round except for being a coward in deathmatches. Don't know if Havoc still plays, but he's a top guy too. XBone is the most stacked with DVDVR crew.

I played last night and had a few glitches.  Started out in single player and I couldn't trigger any missions or change characters.  This seems to happen after the last big update that added the editor, you have to go into online from the pause menu and then back into single player.  So, okay, whatever.  I have a set of easy daily objectives (air race, cause havoc, escape 2 stars) so I start on those to get some quick cash/RP before going back to single player.  But I can't get credit for the 2 star one.  So I have to go into a mission and then back into freemode, get another wanted level and clear it to get credit.  Also, Lester and Lamar keep calling me to do their missions.  If I don't take their calls, they keep calling over and over.  Almost as bad as Roman wanting to do man-dates on GTAIV.

BTW, there's a Halloween event this weekend with new cars, masks, and a special Survival mode.

Shylock's on PS3, AxB. Yeah, the game goes a lot better when you have allies, no matter what you're doing. I truly miss the days when we'd have 6 or 7 rampaging around a 16-person Freemode room. I always got a kick out of imagining what the guy on the other end of the trouble was thinking as he was literally being circled by us.

I have never been in the plane on Prison Break, so I dunno how the wanted-level thing affects the guys in the plane. Now that I think about it, I've only done that heist once, with crew, actually.

That "lose a wanted level" objective has been fantastically buggy for a while. I've had to try two or three times, go do something else and then come back and try it again, etc.

Neil, have you tried calling Lamar and Lester and asking for a mission from them (you don't have to actually do the mission, just call for it)? Taking the callers up on their offer usually shuts them up. The only one I can't keep from calling me is Mors Mutual.

It's the calls for the heists and Lamar's new missions.  I think I keep getting them because I've never hosted those missions.  I get them every time I start a new session.  If you don't accept the call, they just keep calling over and over.

Call Lester and ask him to send you a heist invite (pretty sure you can do that) and call Lamar and ask for a mission invite.

You may have to go to whatever heist Lester is offering you and accept it, then back out, to get him off your back. Can't remember.

Got on for maybe an hour over the weekend.  I won one of those events where you grab a car and fight off everybody else to keep it.  It didn't hurt that nobody else ever made an attempt to take it from me.

The vehicle in question turned out to be a golf cart.  I tried to put the thing in my garage after I won, but the game wouldn't let me store it there, so I figured I should find somebody to allah akbar in it.  Went to look on the map to find the nearest person, and it turned out that somebody had just driven out of the garage that I'd failed to get the cart into.  Even better, he was in a Kuruma.  That one felt good.

• Like 4

I saw that you were playing the other day, Robert, but it didn't show you playing when I pulled the friends list up in the game.

I hopped on for a little while yesterday to do some objectives. One was a team deathmatch. I sent out an invitation and Roast joined. I didn't even know he was on - I really hate how the One does that. You never know who's on, who's playing, who's joined your session, etc. Anyway, Roast and I went neck and neck for the most part, but the ending was hilarious. If I remember right (and correct me if I'm wrong, Roast), he shot me to make it 6-5 with me in the lead with about 20 seconds left. I pumped the button to respawn faster, respawned, took off sprinting around a crate/bus/something, and there he was in my face with a rifle. Caved my head in with the ass end of the rifle with about two seconds left to tie the score. I laughed my ass off.

Stout and I had an interesting time today. He helped me get a Capture-GTA objective, and then we ran around in freemode for a while. We whooped the brakes off some kid named Punkinhead or something to that effect. He was just...terrible. There were a few like that. And then...then we received our karma for having such an easy time whipping ass.

We were doing the Hunt the Beast freemode event, and I ended up killing another guy, thinking it was the beast. Apparently he has a bit of DVDR blood in him, because he decided that shit wasn't going to fly and chased me halfway across the map, off the radar, unbeknownst to me. Stout killed the beast, and I happened to roll up just after he did. Out of nowhere, I get slaughtered by the dude I killed. That led into about 20 minutes of him constantly having the high ground with that damn marksman rifle - just wearing me and Stout out. I think I finished down about 18-4 or something equally as pathetic before Stout rolled up in a car and we high-tailed it the hell out of there.

It was a rough day. I turned the Xbox off feeling like a down-on-her-luck diner waitress in a movie. Just going home after a 14 hour shift, taking off my shoes, and passing out face-first on the bed in my clothes.

• Like 3

Man, that one dude was just whipping our asses, but at least I found out something today: That new sniper is an even shittier weapon than I thought. Basically, dude was whipping our asses with it, but all he'd do is just move from side to side, firing repeatedly and wildly. If you stand still, he's bound to hit you every once in a while.

At one point, I started doing the same thing and I think we went back and forth trying to shoot each other for at least five minutes. I thought "this is completely sad." It requires not much skill at all, just the ability to wiggle the joystick back and forth while pushing a button.

I don't wanna sound like "back in my day," but they really have stupided this game up quite a bit. After we ran from Captain Wigglestick, we ran into two guys in an Insurgent (not the gun turret one, the regular one). Why are those things harder to blow up than a tank? We must have Allah Akbared that thing four-five times before it finally stopped in front of me and I managed to put it out of my misery with three RPGs at fairly close range. WAY too much stupid crap in this game.

• Like 2

Well, they didn't want to introduce pay to win exactly, but they wanted to have something expensive in the game that could give you a competitive advantage... so people would pay for it, to win.

I'm surprised they haven't de-nerfed tanks yet. It made sense at first, when they were next to impossible to kill, but now there's a four/five seater with more armour, I think it's time Tanks became unkillable again.

You can snipe people in Insurgents though. If they're stupid enough to sit still, or if you're very lucky. I once sniped a guy in the arm as he was holding a sticky out the window and it killed him.

I actively search out Insurgents, especially the gun turret ones.  The key seems to be to avoid explosives, and stick to shooting the driver/gunner in the face.  Blowing the things up seems to be hit or miss.  I've destroyed them with 3-4 stickys a few times.  Other times, I've seen one survive 8-10 point blank RPGs.

One of my favorite moments in the game was Dolfan and I running roughshod over the map after shooting a guy out of a gun turret Insurgent, while the owner sent me whiny messages saying that we should at least let him ride with us, since it was his Insurgent.

Kurumas, on the other hand, are best handled with a liberal dose of explosives.

• Like 2

Stout, Derek, yeah, you had that story exactly right.  I took full advantage of Nuketown Revisited being a small map and it being under 30 seconds to run exactly to where you were respawning, switch to the AP Pistol, and bashing your head in to tie with 4 seconds left.  

Of course, the game still said I lost. :-/

And yeah, that random Friday night when we terrorized half the town with the stolen gunner Insurgent was fun.  

One quick note from this weekend, so Stout Rukered and I drive back from where the game spawned us after Nuketown.  I found the nearest dots and headed over to... well, you know.   So, they see us coming and take a few shots, and I ain't never harmed a man who didn't shoot at me first.  

(Not true, but whatever.)

I was up 5-0 on this guy when the low flying challenge comes on. I take a quick peek and see he's a 38 so I call off the dogs and drive him and Stout Rukered to the heli pad.  

We get there, and I get out and get in a chopper, and see him running over and throwing a sticky.  I try to get out but... boom.  

By the time I'd run back to the heli pad with my gun fully locked and loaded, I saw Stout Rukered taking bloody, bloody revenge on 38.  

I was going to take him out on the respawn, but then stout jumped in a helicopter, and I realized there are more important things than revenge.  Like money.  

After the challenge, I put a $9k bounty on 38 because... you know, fuck him.  Then I get a text...

"Why!  I helped you win that challenge."

I explained to him the error of his ways by cutting him down twice.

"Please don't kill me."

"Then don't blow me up after I give you a ride to the heli pad." 

"My bad. :("

Been awhile since I got an apology.  Felt good. 

• Like 3

Tweren't me, Dolfan. Prolly RUkered.

I was trying to hunt the beast last night and bashed my Buzzard (better go see a doctor about that) into a bridge, blowing it up. So I respawned near the airport, right next to another guy who was respawning. We just stood there looking at each other for a bit, then I ran off.

I head down to the airport to see if there's another Buzzard there, and dude's gotten there just a second before me. So I get in the passenger's seat and we go find that sumbitch. He gave me a cut, but he didn't have to, that was too much fun. I was basically setting waypoints for him while he did the shooting.

Bought that damn muscle car Hearse. Holy shit, is it tail-happy. Looks great, though. I'm gonna have to dip into my savings if I want to get the other car. I'm gonna wind up grinding Rooftop Rumble with Herby~! again before this is over with, I know it.

• Like 2

What system are you on, Shylock? Because you've access to expert crewmates on every machine (except PC I think). On PS3, PetrolCB strolls through heist finales (on hard) with his eyes closed at this point, and I'm a Platinummer. XBox 360 is a little short because everyone went to the One except Melraz. PS4 has Cristobal, who's good all round except for being a coward in deathmatches. Don't know if Havoc still plays, but he's a top guy too. XBone is the most stacked with DVDVR crew.

Yeah, PS3.  And Petrol took me through the Pac Standard heist the other day.  I was a bit janky, as I hadn't gone through any of the setups before.

And a quick, belated shout out to him for letting me join up on it.

Tried the Prison Break heist once more.  First time as demolitions.  I'm excited, cause it means I don't have to be in the prison or fly around aimlessly in a jet until the guys in the prison finish up.  Get the bus, drive towards Sandy Shores Airfield... and then the prisoner fails.  No idea why, but his blip was near the prison and the other guys was near the bus.  Second time, the velum gets destroyed before its anywhere near where it needs to go.  Third time, the heist runner quits out.

And I also got a month's worth of Daily Objectives and the 500k that comes along with it.  I do not like the captures at all.  Everything else I generally got past, even the 1v1 deathmatch objectives.  Got a kill 5 players objective the other day.  Drove up, shot some guy.  Drove down the way and there was a group there, that when I arrived near them were driving away from the police all in the same car.  Stupid me, I threw the sticky at their car, was too anxious, and detonated before I got out of range.  Said I killed all 4, but it didn't count towards the objective.  I guess cause I killed myself too in the blast.

Oh yeah Dolfan, I forgot about that dude. He cracked me up because he blew you up and then Diddly Dumbass jumped in the water. Literally the only thing in the game that takes your guns away, and he does it with the two of us around.

• Like 2

Had a couple of new things happen to me last night.

I jumped into a room and it popped up a message that the destruction event was about to start. So I call in my jump jet, 'cause I wanted to try to do something different. I go outside the garage, and it turns out there's 20 seconds left in the destruction event. So I think, "screw it, called in the jet, might as well grab it before someone else does and I'll just ride around in it wreaking havoc until someone shoots me down."

Killed four people with it before I crashed. Stout: jet griefer.

I also got to be The Beast~!, which was OK, but no one chased me until the very last checkpoint, and he just about had me. I would've been easy money, too, for I was completely stupid.

I did get to figure out more about it to be used in pursuits later - all of my checkpoints were grouped, pretty much, in the Southeastern/Eastern part of the map. The area of the checkpoints was actually fairly small, so the easiest thing to do is just be in an aircraft and hover around the general area you'll know he'll be in after he shows up once or twice.

The southern-most one was at Simeon's garage and the northern-most one was at the windmills. The western-most one was at the very eastern edge of town proper. So it's a fairly small area by air, actually.

And the white arrow on your minimap turns into the beast icon when you're on the radar after getting to a checkpoint, and by the end of the thing, you are on the map FOREVER before disappearing, so it's really just a matter of patience. Get a general idea of the location, give dude some time to get on the map and stay on the map, and you should be golden.

I'm the first person I saw ever win the thing, and that's because literally no one cared until the 10th checkpoint, so that's not a fair representation. I think the Beast has the odds against him if people give a shit.

Also funny: It took me FOREVER to get going, because NPC traffic does not stop for The Beast~! the way they do if you get in front of them regularly. They tend to get panicked by a werewolf and drive away quickly. It took me ages to find a car I could break into.

• Like 3

I swear, you guys, on the way into work today I saw a chrome-painted car. Paint job looked about a step above "spray paint," but it was chromed like in the game.

To beat it all, it was the same model Mustang that the Dominator is based on.

• Like 1

Didja throw a proximity mine on it?

RUKered and I actually managed to get the mayor back into his city Tuesday.  Even managed a few minutes of freemode before his router took one too many dumps.  One poor bastard had the bad luck to spawn on top of one of my proximity mines.

After melraz left, I ran into my first obvious cheater in a long ass time.  The guy that had that unfortunate spawn joined up with two other guys.  I caught the group of em in a couple allah akbars.  It killed em, but I didn't get charged for blowing up the 2-3 high end personal vehicles that I took out each time.  One of em challenged me to two 1:1s.  I took him up on the second invite.  He turned out to be a level 6.  I knew I was in trouble when I put 4 heavy sniper rounds into him and he didn't even blink.  Then he survived a direct hit from an RPG, followed by a full clip of a combat MG ammo.  I reported him and took off.

• Like 1

Soooo I've got a question.

I decided to do a random setup that popped up on my phone.  The Insurgents one.  Finish that up.  Get in my car, the Valkyrie one pops up.  Hadn't played that yet.  I decide to go for it.  Leave session, load the new one.  It's on that foggy screen of the guy's house before you load in, then I hear the clank sound whenever you pick something up on the game.  Quite a few of them.  Then the session doesn't load, I spawn back into my garage and.. my question is:

What do you do when someone spawns $1.2 million on your person?  From what I understand, you won't get banned or anything for being the recipient.. but should I be reporting this somewhere just in case or do I just go on and delightfully spend this money?

I'd go with spend the money.  I wound up getting about 10 million dollars in suspicious circumstances last year (the guy somehow glued himself to my character's ass, then giant piles of money started shooting out of the ground).  Stout and melraz came over to watch and grabbed some of the cash too.  We never ran into any trouble from it, other than a bunch of bad jokes on our parts.

• Like 1

Fairly early on in the game, money glitching was rampant.  Rockstar negated the dirty money but let you keep whatever you bought with it.  Most likely someone was just trying to launder some of their glitched money so I wouldn't worry about getting negged from Rockstar.

I would just use the cash to buy some of the high dollar stuff like a Rhino or Buzzard or high end apartments.

• Like 1

Unless you feel ethically bound not to, spend it, (and unless you would consider paying for a Shark Card otherwise, it's not like it costs Rockstar any money.) Rockstar won't do anything to you unless you're the one glitching, and you're a paying customer, it's not your job to monitor their game for them.