DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Cheating.  Lots and lots of cheating.  I've seen a few level 1000's around.  One of the upcoming updates from Rockstar is supposed to cut those folks' levels back down to size, though I have no idea how they'll actually manage it.

I really don't mind anything randoms do in races, rubbing is racing. The upcoming "no contact" racing is just absurd. That's like a "no kill" deathmatch. 

Missions with randoms is fun because sometimes they're just like well-oiled machines and they do everything while you stand there and gawk in admiration. And there are some times where they're over their head and YOU become the well-oiled machine - "I got this, fellas" - as you carry the whole team on your back.

Huge problem with randoms is that apparently none of them wear headsets, so it's crazy to try to plan anything. I've been trying to do the Base Invaders mission with randoms, and it's fun to watch them screw it up while I ride along, knowing we're not gonna make it. That's the one where you fly to Fort Zancudo in Trevor's plane, blow up four Titans, then steal a Cargobob.

Everybody loads up in the plane, when what they really need is a Buzzard. I wanna call in a Buzzard and go get it, but without them being able to hear me tell them that's what I'm doing, they'll think I've abandoned the mission and go on without me. Plus, I'm a bad Buzzard driver and would rather have someone else fly the damn thing. Here's how I'd do it, actually - one person takes the plane, and hopefully never has to land. One person flies the Buzzard. Two more take a car and break in the old-fashioned way and tries to take out Lazers with sticky bombs like the trash trucks in that mission. But with no headsets on, it's hard for Sgt. Stout to tell the Privates the plan.

The one where you have to fly to the top of the building under construction downtown is the same way. That takes planning.

I dont know how i did so well in the first dm, since my auto targeting never did work right.

Well, for one thing, we stuck together and were able to cover each other.  Most of my kills in the first match came from guys shooting at Robert.

Rippa, Dolfan, and DevilSaint used our tactics from the first match.  They were never too far away from each other in the second deathmatch and split the map in half on us.  Rippa nailed me three times while I was moving in on Dolfan.  I had to get better cover because they found SMG's and shotguns almost immediately and armor wasn't a factor because they had the high ground and were scoring headshots at will.

You and Robert were making a comeback when you had the high ground and had them pinned into that bottlenecked alleyway, but I wasn't able to contribute because I had no shots from my position. 

By the time I had a target, Dolfan found my sniper's nest.

Saving_Private.jpg

SHH...  SHH....

• Like 1

I really don't mind anything randoms do in races, rubbing is racing. The upcoming "no contact" racing is just absurd.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  Want to avoid rubbin'?  LEARN TO DRIVE~!

It's like giving up the lane to a passer and then slipstreaming to get back in the hunt is an alien concept.  I've done it dozens of times and I ocassionally manage to win a race or two..

There shouldn't even be options to eliminate catching up, slipstreaming, or contact from a race.

So, Blitz Play is like the armored car hit from the first ten minutes of Heat linked to the fucking post bank robbery shootout shootout with the cops from that very same movie. 

I met all of the mission goals except for the 80% shooting accuracy criteria, but I can live with Silver medals for missions.   I finally remembered that I have Special Abilities and used Michael's Bullet Time power to score most of the headshots.  I almost failed the mission because some fucking Vagos gang member started shooting at me when I had Franklin blow up the garbage truck. 

I found my first Epsilon tract this morning before heading off to work and now I also have nuclear waste and submarine parts to hunt down.  I need to get crackin' in Story Mode, but Rank 100 and the Seven Deadly Sins tattoo are calling my name.

I just joined up some random race and there's a dude in it at level 458.  How is that even fucking possible?

You accepted an open invite with no filtering criteria.  You can invite players close to your own rank if you are hosting but the lobby selection criteria is weird. 

If your Driving skill is up to Pro Racer, then any player with that much ability will be able to jump into the race if that is the only filter factor you choose, so that means that players that are hundreds of levels higher than you can still get into the race. 

The lobby selection system tries to pair you up with players close to your rank, but you are restricted by the ranks of the players in the lobby searching for and hosting races. 

If high rank players are in your lobby and you want to keep the playing field level, then turn off access to custom vehicles.  I would turn them off when hosting a race with randoms anyway, because you never know if some lowbie is actually a mule for a high rank guy with a hacked car in his garage.

I joined a mission that unlocks around level 75, I'm in the low 40s, had two other accomplices over level 100 and one had a rocket launcher. Rocket launcher started blasting everything in sight and takes out most of the enemies. I was left running around taking cover and picking off the strays and didn't notice how the other guy died, but rocket launcher gets in his car and starts ramming me repeatedly. So I am dead as well as player 2, rocket launcher grabs the package and heads off in his Entity, which he couldn't drive for shit, and stops for a few minutes over in Rockford. I'm spectating, as I'm not going to give up the cash and xp when this guy finishes, which he eventually did. Not sure why he stopped and waited so long, maybe he thought I would drop off and quit like the other player, but I'm grinding, dammit.

Yeah, I also don't do missions with randoms or race with them unless someone I know like Moongirl is also in the race.

Deathmatches and murder in free mode is another story since I have no problems with shooting non-crew members in the head.

J.T., it was funny that you were going on this morning right as I was exhaustedly wrapping up. Kinda reminded me of me punching out and you punching in.

I had sold my goodnight car when I noticed a friend of mine was getting messed with way, way down at the airport, so I thought "damn," and headed that way. Unfortunately, some asshole started chasing me around, and when I squared up to shoot him, he somehow came at me from another direction and flattened me with his car. I wanted to stick my foot up his ass so bad, but I was exhausted, so I went home and put bounties on him and called mercenaries and muggers on him until he left while I watched on TV.

And I agree with you about racing except for catching up. It's the only thing that can help a player when his car isn't quite as powerfull as the rest, and it helps keep the field bunched up, which makes for more anything-can-happen racing. I agree with being able to turn it off, though, and I've had races where having it off's done me a lot of good. Being able to turn off slipstreaming is absurd. 

If you're hosting races and you turn off custom vehicles, you're not gonna have a decent lobby of racers for long. People will race one race and leave. They wanna use their fancy cars. But I'd still do it anyway if you don't have access to at least a decently modded car. Just keep pouring money into Super, Sports and Motorcycle mods. Those get played about 80 percent of the time. Having a modded-out car isn't as important in Off-Road races - I've beaten modded cars on a stock Sanchez on more than one occasion.

And I think CSC meant how is being Level 458 possible? Like Robert said, cheating. No one's at Level 458 naturally. No way. Maybe 300, tops. 

Edit: Really, you're limiting your view of the game (if that makes sense) by limiting yourself to certain kinds of activities, especially if you're a lower-level player. What's the worst that can happen when racing with randoms? Someone spins you out. Someone's liable to (accidentally) spin you out in a crew-only race, so screw it. Get in there and scrap.

And occasionally when playing missions with randoms, someone will run you over or they'll screw up somehow. Deal with the people who run you over, and if the randoms aren't good at the missions, find a new bunch of randoms. What's the worst that can happen? Someone can kill you or blow up your personal vehicle (that they'll have to pay for). Screw it. Get in there and scrap.

There are ways to "limit your liability" when playing with randoms. I start the game in a crew-only room, so when I come out of missions, I do so iny my cozy crew-only room, not in the middle of a bunch of freemode assholes. And if you do have to come out among freemode assholes, remember to put it in passive mode before joining a mission and you'll come out in passive mode. Unfortunately, if you come out in your car, that can cause another world of problems. 

But jeez, I spent MONTHS avoiding deathmatches 'cause I thought everyone doing them were big meanies who were picking on me, and now that I've started doing them, I really suck at them. I'm trying to catch up. I wish I'd been playing them from the get-go. 

• Like 1

J.T., it was funny that you were going on this morning right as I was exhaustedly wrapping up. Kinda reminded me of me punching out and you punching in.

I had sold my goodnight car when I noticed a friend of mine was getting messed with way, way down at the airport, so I thought "damn," and headed that way. Unfortunately, some asshole started chasing me around, and when I squared up to shoot him, he somehow came at me from another direction and flattened me with his car. I wanted to stick my foot up his ass so bad, but I was exhausted, so I went home and put bounties on him and called mercenaries and muggers on him until he left while I watched on TV.

And I agree with you about racing except for catching up. It's the only thing that can help a player when his car isn't quite as powerfull as the rest, and it helps keep the field bunched up, which makes for more anything-can-happen racing. I agree with being able to turn it off, though, and I've had races where having it off's done me a lot of good. Being able to turn off slipstreaming is absurd. 

If you're hosting races and you turn off custom vehicles, you're not gonna have a decent lobby of racers for long. People will race one race and leave. They wanna use their fancy cars. But I'd still do it anyway if you don't have access to at least a decently modded car. Just keep pouring money into Super, Sports and Motorcycle mods. Those get played about 80 percent of the time. Having a modded-out car isn't as important in Off-Road races - I've beaten modded cars on a stock Sanchez on more than one occasion.

And I think CSC meant how is being Level 458 possible? Like Robert said, cheating. No one's at Level 458 naturally. No way. Maybe 300, tops. 

I am dumb.  If I said that catch-up should be turned off, I meant to say that it should always be on as should slipstreaming.  They should never be toggled off.

From now own, when I am on and you are logging off, I will send you a PM that says "Mornin, Ralph!" and you will send me one that says, "Mornin, Sam!"

Was in a deathmatch last night with Ax and two others, and the Brit and the Canadian got put on one team while the two Americans got put on the other. I was singing snippets of Hogan's theme after kills, before instead shifting to "WE...THE PEOPLE!"

• Like 1

They crossed my mind, too, that's awesome. I nearly posted that.

I can see where someone would think catching up messes with the "purity" of racing.

I was only on last night because a friend of mine who hasn't played GTA Online in MONTHS was on. Problem was, he didn't wanna chat and I wanted to talk to the boy, see how he was doing. He may have been talking to someone else, though, and that's fine. 

He did, somehow, get my car onto the metal overhang in the "spaceship drawing" building at the top of Mount Chilliad and jump off of it, then parachute out. And it didn't even blow up my car.

I couldn't get in because the overhang was only as wide as the car, so I tried riding on the top and banged my head on something and fell off. 

I doubt he'll be on for a while now - I gotta give this game a break. Unless there's some serious crewing going on, like during Tuesday Night Titans, I gotta lay low until this new garage crap kicks in, whenever that is.

I can see where someone would think catching up messes with the "purity" of racing.

Catch up should only be turned off if custom vehicles and slipstreaming are turned on, IMO.  Then you can see if those transmission and engine mods you got are worth a damn.

Ok so what is this jobber Thursday I keep hearing about?

I really need to start focusing on collecting and buying some quality cars and bikes.  I'm getting killed in races that I run flawlessly because I only have the stock models (that's my story....shut up).  I need to look up what is good because right now my garage is just filled with "Ooo pretty I like this car" cars.

I got pretty lucky this morning and wound up with a group of 6 randoms all right around level 30 who weren't assholes and raced about 20 races before I had to head out for work.  Leveled up to over level 30 so I'm mildly less ashamed of my sorry ranking now.

I held up my first armored cars this morning, too.  But because I'm an idiot, I completely blew up the first two before realizing that maybe I should aim my sticky bomb away from the engine if I didn't want that to happen anymore.  That seems like a really easy way to earn a ton of money very quickly.

Generally - JT, Mark and myself will do random shit that we don't like doing to earn progress towards the various awards.

This is usually centered on throwing races, deathmatches, etc... to each other. Hence the jobber name.

We will also do legit stuff to depending on how many people are on - we just establish the ground rules before each task

Awesome.  I may actually have a chance to win a race, then!  (poor 8-62 race record).

I'm finding the 90 minutes I'm getting to play each afternoon is a great way to get out all my frustration from my day job and not be so pissed off at everyone at my night job.  I'm not sure why I haven't been doing this longer.

• Like 1

Edit: Really, you're limiting your view of the game (if that makes sense) by limiting yourself to certain kinds of activities, especially if you're a lower-level player. What's the worst that can happen when racing with randoms? Someone spins you out. Someone's liable to (accidentally) spin you out in a crew-only race, so screw it. Get in there and scrap.

And occasionally when playing missions with randoms, someone will run you over or they'll screw up somehow. Deal with the people who run you over, and if the randoms aren't good at the missions, find a new bunch of randoms. What's the worst that can happen? Someone can kill you or blow up your personal vehicle (that they'll have to pay for). Screw it. Get in there and scrap.

There are ways to "limit your liability" when playing with randoms. I start the game in a crew-only room, so when I come out of missions, I do so iny my cozy crew-only room, not in the middle of a bunch of freemode assholes. And if you do have to come out among freemode assholes, remember to put it in passive mode before joining a mission and you'll come out in passive mode. Unfortunately, if you come out in your car, that can cause another world of problems. 

But jeez, I spent MONTHS avoiding deathmatches 'cause I thought everyone doing them were big meanies who were picking on me, and now that I've started doing them, I really suck at them. I'm trying to catch up. I wish I'd been playing them from the get-go. 

I've just done so many races and missions with randoms that I've got tired of it.  I've done more than 800 races total, and at this point I don't really feel like doing them unless there's at least some crew involved.  At least with crew I'll get to laugh when I inevitably get spun, or crash into 13 trees in a lap.  I'd much rather just shoot folks at this point.  I'm practicing my Mary Lou act.  I still stink at it, but I'm at least able to pull it off about a quarter of the time now.

Generally - JT, Mark and myself will do random shit that we don't like doing to earn progress towards the various awards.

This is usually centered on throwing races, deathmatches, etc... to each other. Hence the jobber name.

We will also do legit stuff to depending on how many people are on - we just establish the ground rules before each task

I may be on for a bit tonight.  I have someplace to be every Thursday evening at 7 central, so that makes it hard to join y'all.  That'll get moved later as it starts to get hotter than hell here, so I may be able to be on later in a month or so.

Yeah - if you look at your awards before we start and figure out stuff you are really close to "ie: need 1 more land race, 3 more pistol kills, etc.." it really helps in the leveling up quickly

The only reason I have a single air race win is because everyone threw a copter race to me

Was in a deathmatch last night with Ax and two others, and the Brit and the Canadian got put on one team while the two Americans got put on the other. I was singing snippets of Hogan's theme after kills, before instead shifting to "WE...THE PEOPLE!"

The Deathmatch Gods were smiling on you that time. Unlike in the Maze, when they smiled upon their most favoured Son/Daughter. And Havoc would probably have won that one if he'd bothered to get down off the bloody roof and join in with the fighting. Defend his lead, like.

Anyway, the whole story is, we did the Pier Survival, and the reckless chaotic Americans died in Wave 10, whilst the organised British Commonwealth soldiers nobly conquered every adversary. Except for in Wave 1, where we tried to do the whole thing with nothing but Melee Weapons. Whale used a pistol and saved us. So that's why we did the Deathmatch. In which you got several kills you didn't deserve BTW.

Lag Monster, sort your modem out, seriously.

New troll-your-friends activity: Kill somebody, then turn around and take a selfie with their corpse in the background.

Robert, what I meant is if you still have goals in the game like leveling up, it's not good to limit your activities because each activity has its pros and cons. We should have no goals at this point - I think you care about some of the awards and stuff like tattoos, but I don't. We've hit our 21st birthday on this game a long time ago when we hit Level 110 and got the minigun, the last thing we can get by leveling up.

But if you'd like to level up more and gain more money, you shouldn't say "I'm not doing missions with randoms." With me, if I wanted to be a better player - and you gotta admit, I'm the big-time weak link in Freemode, I don't mind saying it - I should've been doing Deathmatches from the get-go instead of avoiding them for months when I first started playing the game. And really, if I wanted a better grip on person-to-person combat, I should do more Captures, though I hate them. 

CSC: I've posted this list a blue billion times, but this might help you. This includes none of the new cars, just the cars that were originally in the game: http://bit.ly/1aNcXpA 

The list of car values when sold is especially handy. These days, the game is putting out more cars you can't sell into the public, like high-end sports cars. I think they're trying to get people to buy more cars, 'cause I know I fell in love with a Dewbachee Exemplar after I drove one, and I'll be buying one as soon as I get more garage space.

If you don't have a better one, the Elegy is a fantastic sports car for the price (free). You can use the savings to upgrade. Having a good street motorcycle's a necessity, too. Then there's the Super, but that's $500,000, plus whatever it costs to mod it. Don't be afraid to host races and turn the custom cars off. I swear, I think they've cut the money and RP from races in half since I used to race constantly. It's a shame, racing's awesome.

CSC: I've posted this list a blue billion times, but this might help you. This includes none of the new cars, just the cars that were originally in the game: http://bit.ly/1aNcXpA 

The list of car values when sold is especially handy. These days, the game is putting out more cars you can't sell into the public, like high-end sports cars. I think they're trying to get people to buy more cars, 'cause I know I fell in love with a Dewbachee Exemplar after I drove one, and I'll be buying one as soon as I get more garage space.

Awesome, thanks for the link.

Having owned the same Toyota Corolla for the last 12 years (and our new car being a MUCH newer Corolla), the first car I'm absolutely looking for and completely modding is gonna be the Karin Asterope.

Hey, I do not suck with Combat Pistols or Sawn-Off Shotguns in deathmatches!  Who knew?

Oh, and RANK 100~!  I am looking forward to breaking out this RPG Launcher in free mode.

Nearly everone in the 360 Venom Mob day shift wears a suit now.  I refuse to.  I prefer the roughneck look so it will always be jeans and leather jackets.

As far as my slow trudge through Story Mode goes, Franklin, Trevor, and Michael all own one business and naturally those are the three compaines tied to achievements (Trevor = McKenzie Air Field, Michael = Sonar Operations Dock, Franklin = Downtown Cab). 

Once I finish off a few more missions, I will hunt down nuclear waste and run some cab fares with priority on Franklin since he is short on money after buying Downtown Cab.  I will run a few races with Franklin to build up his cash reserves, too.

Also did my second mission for Devin Weston aka I Fought The Law....  I can't wait to shoot this asshole once we're done stealing cars for him.

Not a fan of shotguns. I spent most of those deathmatches running around picking up other weapons, esp the assault rifle and the beloved sniper rifles.

I need to get a custom super soon, since that seems to be the default choice for land races.

To be fair - the only reason I am in a suit was Mark pointed out the other day that you can now buy whole outfits at once (who knows if that was always an option or new).

So since I needed to change my clothes to keep working towards that award - I bought a whole outfit and that was the only one that went with my cowboy hat.

And as I said - I would much rather look like Christian Bale in American Hustle than CM Punk

Not a fan of shotguns. I spent most of those deathmatches running around picking up other weapons, esp the assault rifle and the beloved sniper rifles.

I need to get a custom super soon, since that seems to be the default choice for land races.

We probably won't race custom supers if CSC and Hoven Maven are online.  They probably don't have the cash to own those types of cars yet.

So since I needed to change my clothes to keep working towards that award - I bought a whole outfit and that was the only one that went with my cowboy hat.

And as I said - I would much rather look like Christian Bale in American Hustle than CM Punk

Buy the suede leather jacket, the faded regular fit jeans, and a pair of chelsea cowboy boots.