DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

The one map - fuck if I remember the name of it - with the forced shotgun and the smaller map were built for my run and gun style. I was like a pig in shit.

But as pointed out last night - we rarely have a lopsided deathmatch anymore - the team ones seem to all end within one or two kills of each other and even in the normal one - I think everyone had at least 10 kills

Not a fan of shotguns. I spent most of those deathmatches running around picking up other weapons, esp the assault rifle and the beloved sniper rifles.

I need to get a custom super soon, since that seems to be the default choice for land races.

We probably won't race custom supers if CSC and Hoven Maven are online. They probably don't have the cash to own those types of cars yet.

Prob good to have one anyway. I think i am $40k away from buying the torismo R.

The one map - fuck if I remember the name of it - with the forced shotgun and the smaller map were built for my run and gun style. I was like a pig in shit.

TRAILER PARK~!  Once I found my shooting rhythm and range (sawn-off range is far shorter than the pump), I was in the fucking zone.  Felt good to avenge Wednesday's shitty performance.

Both CSC and Hoven Maven did really well, too.  Playing field needs to be kept as level as possible until those guys hit Rank 50 or so and unlock weapons with more range.

But as pointed out last night - we rarely have a lopsided deathmatch anymore - the team ones seem to all end within one or two kills of each other and even in the normal one - I think everyone had at least 10 kills

I would've done better during the deathmatch on the pier if I weren't old and could remember who was on my team.  I blame fatigue.

I had another top killer performance in the first team deathmatch.  One more and I get the Team Carrier Bronze Medal but that Platinum medal and the Grim Reaper tattoo is way far off.  I am way too cautious in deathmatches to consistantly place first on a team.

I'm taking my 360 up to Maryland with me, so you guys might see me online on Saturday.  I will definitely be online sometime on Sunday, but I will probably be playing ME3 to boost up my GR% and work on the 200K Venom Shotgun medal.

• Like 1

In your defense - you got switched teams, which is rare in GTA

So it was understandable that after like 3 straight deathmatches - you thought Dan was still on your team

Robert, what I meant is if you still have goals in the game like leveling up, it's not good to limit your activities because each activity has its pros and cons. We should have no goals at this point - I think you care about some of the awards and stuff like tattoos, but I don't. We've hit our 21st birthday on this game a long time ago when we hit Level 110 and got the minigun, the last thing we can get by leveling up.

But if you'd like to level up more and gain more money, you shouldn't say "I'm not doing missions with randoms." With me, if I wanted to be a better player - and you gotta admit, I'm the big-time weak link in Freemode, I don't mind saying it - I should've been doing Deathmatches from the get-go instead of avoiding them for months when I first started playing the game. And really, if I wanted a better grip on person-to-person combat, I should do more Captures, though I hate them. 

I'm not advocating anybody play the way I do now, especially somebody that hasn't played much and experienced what the game has to offer.  My personal theory is this - it's a video game, and its supposed to be fun.  My only criteria on what to play is what will make the game more fun for me right now.  For the moment, races and missions with randoms aren't doing that, but that only applies to me.  In a few weeks, maybe I'll be back on them.  They're a hell of a lot of fun with crew though.

melraz and I were hoping you'd join for the late shift when we saw you on briefly.  Spent the entire night in freemode on the same server.  Herby joined in for a few hours and helped out too.  Glad you told him about Tuesdays.  Hope he can join in with the big crowd next week. 

There was a never ending stream of new people coming into the server, so we were very rarely at a loss for targets.  Most of them were pretty easy, but one of the last dudes was a tough nut to crack.  He was up more than 2 to 1 on me, and about even with melraz.  Expensive night to be sure.  I blew up about 5 supercars, and probably 3 or 4 other personal vehicles, and used up all my stickys 3 times.  probably ended the night about 100k down.  very much worth it though.  managed a pure luck long range sniper kill on a motorcycle traveling a high speed perpendicular to the path of the shot.  favorite kill was a double on 2 guys together trying to sneak around a corner at me.  Even Mary Lou can't dodge sticky bombs bitches.

I pulled off a hilarious tank kill, of sorts.  Swapped to passive as soon as I saw the tank, and hopped onto a little porch with a steel railing.  The fool in the tank parked right in front of me, and kept shooting over and over while I gave him the double bird.  Dumbass blew up his own tank.

At one point we were fighting some dude by an ammunation that happened to sit right next to a gas station.  There was a huge pile of cars in the middle of the road - random NPC cars, cops, plus a fire engine and an ambulance.  The guy took me out, and I spawned about a block and a half away, just in time to see either melraz or Herby blow up the entire scrum in one go.  That might've been the biggest explosion I've seen in this game so far.  A burning car got launched all the way over to where I was and flattened me. 

• Like 1

Deathmatches were strange last night, sincr dan and i were on the same team a few times, which seems to never happen. Im sure we shot each other out of habit. :)

There were a couple of times last night where I did not shoot at you because you are usually on my team.  There were also a couple of near friendly fire exchanges between me and Dolfan because I am used to him being on the other team and shooting at me. Muscle memory wanted to shoot him when I should've been providing cover.

I am also not used to CSC or Dolfan's friend gaming with us regularly, so making the mental leap to identify them as enemies and reacting accordingly took a bit of time.

• Like 1

Robert, I already told you that what I was saying doesn't apply to you. You're, what, Level 140 or so? There comes a time when raising level is absurd - I really, really wouldn't care if I gained another RP at this point - and if you're happy with the amount of money you have, then merry Christmas, and besides, you earn good money winning every deathmatch. You've paid your dues in this game, you can do whatever. You're Dr. Deathmatch, not Missions with Dipshits (and what a famous Native American leader he was).

If you're not done paying dues, whatever that is, according to your definition, then do what you want, but there's lots of ways to get where you're going.

I hopped on basically to see if you guys were up to no good, and I saw you playing and Melraz was playing WWE 13. I stayed on for a second hoping Mel would give that up and play some GTA, but when he didn't, I watched the rest of the NBA game and went to bed. If I'd known he was gonna hop on, I would've been on, 'cause I could've used the laugh. I'll have to stay on longer next time. I'm always up for crew shenanigans. 

I got flattened by an exploding car the other night. I think I was trying to attack an armored car on foot.

Oh, and if you race in races with randoms at all, you need a custom super. Supers are probably, what, 60 percent of the road races, with Sports at 25, Motorcycles at 10 and everything else at 5, if that? I'd work toward a custom Super, Sport and Motorcycle at least (I stupidly don't have a custom road Motorcycle right now, and there's no way I can even get close in a Motorcycle race no matter how cleanly I ride). If you only race with crew, no worries, we can turn custom vehicles off.

(In Iron Shiek voice): Forced shotgun, patooey!

I absolutely HATE that "Shotgun Wedding" deathmatch at the church with the forced shotgun. I need a litle distance.

Not a fan of shotguns. I spent most of those deathmatches running around picking up other weapons, esp the assault rifle and the beloved sniper rifles.

I need to get a custom super soon, since that seems to be the default choice for land races.

We probably won't race custom supers if CSC and Hoven Maven are online. They probably don't have the cash to own those types of cars yet.

Prob good to have one anyway. I think i am $40k away from buying the torismo R.

I bought one when they came out, and I think that might be my favorite car.  I have most of the supers - Adder, Entity, etc from the free money times, but I end up using the Turismo.  Not quite as fast as the Adder or Entity, but I prefer the handling of the Turismo.

I absolutely HATE that "Shotgun Wedding" deathmatch at the church with the forced shotgun. I need a litle distance.

I don't like wading into combat either.  I was surprised by my non-shitty showing in Trailer Park, since I am the worst run and gun GTA Online guy on the face of the earth.

I bought one when they came out, and I think that might be my favorite car. I have most of the supers - Adder, Entity, etc from the free money times, but I end up using the Turismo. Not quite as fast as the Adder or Entity, but I prefer the handling of the Turismo.

I have an Entity, but I plan on getting a Turismo as soon as one or two more DLCs come out.  I want to make sure that no new badass motorcycles come out before I fill up the last five spots of my garage. 

First three spots will be (insert name of new premium motorcycle), a customized Jester, and the Turismo.  I may fill the last two spots with a fully customized Sultan and either a Rebel or a Bobcat.

Hey, I do not suck with Combat Pistols or Sawn-Off Shotguns in deathmatches! Who knew?

Oh, and RANK 100~! I am looking forward to breaking out this RPG Launcher in free mode.

Nearly everone in the 360 Venom Mob day shift wears a suit now. I refuse to. I prefer the roughneck look so it will always be jeans and leather jackets.

As far as my slow trudge through Story Mode goes, Franklin, Trevor, and Michael all own one business and naturally those are the three compaines tied to achievements (Trevor = McKenzie Air Field, Michael = Sonar Operations Dock, Franklin = Downtown Cab).

Once I finish off a few more missions, I will hunt down nuclear waste and run some cab fares with priority on Franklin since he is short on money after buying Downtown Cab. I will run a few races with Franklin to build up his cash reserves, too.

Also did my second mission for Devin Weston aka I Fought The Law.... I can't wait to shoot this asshole once we're done stealing cars for him.

cab fares don't earn much money except for the off the books ones (those are the ones that give you the achievement). Robbing stores is better for quick cash, or you can sleep until your weekly payroll comes through.

I don't like wading into combat either.  I was surprised by my non-shitty showing in Trailer Park, since I am the worst run and gun GTA Online guy on the face of the earth.

I could give you a run for that. My teammates constantly press ahead in deathmatches while I hang back. I know that if I press ahead, I am literally gonna get killed 10-15 times, and I can't do that to my team. if I hang back, I'll still get killed about 4-6 times, but that's a decent-sized difference.

I'm actually a hang back person in most DMs.  I've been able to find spots in a few that allow me to hang back and still rack up kills.  Paradise Alley and The Getaway are probably the most obvious two.  I'm getting better at run and gun, but I've run blindly into a hail of bullets hundreds of times, so I get a little jumpy doing it.  I managed to Mary Lou a Mary Lou last night.  Still got killed, but at least I got him too.

I've done that Shotgun Wedding one several times, but only one time with locked weapons.  I was so awful that I eventually went for a swim to build up my lung capacity.  If I'm gonna use a shotgun, it's gonna be the assault version.

Hey, I do not suck with Combat Pistols or Sawn-Off Shotguns in deathmatches! Who knew?

Oh, and RANK 100~! I am looking forward to breaking out this RPG Launcher in free mode.

Nearly everone in the 360 Venom Mob day shift wears a suit now. I refuse to. I prefer the roughneck look so it will always be jeans and leather jackets.

As far as my slow trudge through Story Mode goes, Franklin, Trevor, and Michael all own one business and naturally those are the three compaines tied to achievements (Trevor = McKenzie Air Field, Michael = Sonar Operations Dock, Franklin = Downtown Cab).

Once I finish off a few more missions, I will hunt down nuclear waste and run some cab fares with priority on Franklin since he is short on money after buying Downtown Cab. I will run a few races with Franklin to build up his cash reserves, too.

Also did my second mission for Devin Weston aka I Fought The Law.... I can't wait to shoot this asshole once we're done stealing cars for him.

cab fares don't earn much money except for the off the books ones (those are the ones that give you the achievement). Robbing stores is better for quick cash, or you can sleep until your weekly payroll comes through.

Aye.  I'm only worried about the off the book fares for the achievement.  I also cruise around as Franklin to re-spawn the Security Van random encounters whenever I need a quick score.

The Night Crew just brought a little afternoon delight to the people of Los Santos, bless their hearts. Melraz wrecked and somehow ended up flying on the top of a building while his car was on another building. Meanwhile, I had 20 cop cars behind me while I ran around in a box truck.

To end the session, some guy we had never had one single dealing with came down in a tank to a fight we were having with another dude. The other dude left, but we stayed and eventually the guy in the tank was running from us as we were in hot pursuit. I dunno why the guy with the tank was running from us, but there you go. Robert was chasing behind him in a tank but was gaining ground, I gave him a good suicide car bombing before that, and he did eat several RPGs. He left before we could catch him, and we, in an upset, had the room to ourselves.

At one point, Melraz and Robert started chasing after a dude they'd been scrapping with last night - they remembered his name. Guy got killed one time by Melraz and must've said "not again," 'cause he was gone. He hit the bricks.

Then earlier some guy decided it'd be funny to shoot this dude leaving his apartment. Problem was, that dude was Melraz, with me right behind him. He got a lesson in GTA manners. And at one point, I had a bounty on me and was being chased by a dude with a bounty on him when a third player came up and killed us both. I should've sent him a text that said "nice!"

Man I still don't know how that wreck happened. We were chasin some schmuck and my car goes airborne while drivin down the road. I was flippin floppin flyin through the air hit a 6 or 7 level buildin (on top) rolled off and landed on a lower buildin just beside the big one. It twas one hellova ride

Mel did help me score a car I was gonna start looking for when we got some more garage space, but since it landed in my lap today, I thought "what the hell?" 

I was looking for a car to steal when I did one of my "what's this?" car grabs, where I don't really recognize what I'm grabbing and just wanna see what it is. Turned out to be an Obey Rocoto, the Obey (Audi) SUV. They're worth $8,500 at Los Santos Customs, but I really wanted one later because I have a Tailgater and a 9F Cabrio, Obey's other two cars in the game. And it's only the second one I've found, ever. So I sold my customed Sanchez at a considerable loss to free up a garage space and grabbed it.

I modded it up and painted it the same color as my other two Obeys, of course. Moral to the story is this: It's an SUV. It doesn't matter how modded they are, they suck. I just wanted it for the collection. Does anyone actually like any SUVs?

To me, SUVs and Compacts are essentially the same kind of car - slow and will fishtail if you look at it wrong. Supers, Sports and Muscle cars are fast, but will also fishtail if you look at them wrong. My Tailgater Sedan is much slower than it should be, but it at least doesn't fishtail THAT badly. There's a combination of fast and handling I'll stumble across at some point.

TRAILER PARK~!  Once I found my shooting rhythm and range (sawn-off range is far shorter than the pump), I was in the fucking zone.  Felt good to avenge Wednesday's shitty performance.

Both CSC and Hoven Maven did really well, too.  Playing field needs to be kept as level as possible until those guys hit Rank 50 or so and unlock weapons with more range.

I got extremely lucky with that map.  I think four of my kills I re spawned with someone looking the opposite direction right in front of me and were easy to pick off.

Maps like that are perfect for me, as I haven't developed much of a deathmatch strategy other than lurking around corners and waiting until someone is within close range.

Did great bone head move last night.

Drove Balla from my garage to mod shop.

I get there and i see one of the cars i need from Simeon.

I steal and respray it. I pull out of the parking lot and see anothrr Balla. I get out of the simeon car and take the Balla back to mybgarage.

I drive baxk to where i left my Simeon car and of couree, it was no longer there.

So i had to steal another one, which got me less $ than the first one would have gotten me.

Dope.

Fuck.  One lucky shot from a security guard hit the Z-Type as I was evading the law so I did not meet the Gold Medal completion criteria for Eye In The Sky.  That's what I get for rolepyaing Franklin as a relatively decent fellow instead of trusting my GTA instincts, metagaming, and putting a bullet in Chad Manning's dome so he couldn't call the cops.

I really hate Devin Weston.  I am looking forward to throwing him feet first into a wood chipper.  Can't let the screams die out too soon, now can we?

The writers of GTA also mock me during the mission, Mr. Richards, now that I know that fucking oxygen thief, Rocco Pelosi, is still alive.  Where is Luis when I need him to cap this fool?

Did great bone head move last night.

Drove Balla from my garage to mod shop.

I get there and i see one of the cars i need from Simeon.

I steal and respray it. I pull out of the parking lot and see anothrr Balla. I get out of the simeon car and take the Balla back to mybgarage.

I drive baxk to where i left my Simeon car and of couree, it was no longer there.

So i had to steal another one, which got me less $ than the first one would have gotten me.

Dope.

Yeah, it did my heart good last night to get one of Simeon's 5 or so cars, call Lester to get rid of my wanted level ($400), get it repaired for damage done while getting it to the mod shop ($100) and then getting it resprayed (roughly $800), only to get $4,100 out of the car, in good condition, from Simeon. I could've sold the car (a Karin Bee Jay) for $3,000 to the custom shop. So I went $200 in the hole on the car for the privledge of selling it to Simeon. That's a good thing, because I'd never sell a $3,000 car to the custom shop. 

This was a lesson learned that it isn't isn't just any of those five cars Simeon wants you to get, it's all about the best one of that bunch.

Been playing Captures all afternoon for something different. Man, they're paying a lot right now. My team won one Capture, with me being absolutely no help whatsoever, and I got $22,000 and 5,000 RP.

I don't like them, though, because it's pretty much a matter of luck - if there's enough people in the game, it becomes a matter of some people rushing the other team's base, getting killed, going back to the start, going all the way back to the other team's base, getting killed, going back to the start, etc. It's funner if you're defending your base, but everyone can't do that.

Problem is, everyone not defending the base is like a lamb being led to the slaughter by whatever it is you're supposed to be picking up. Even if you do manage to kill a few of the other team's guys guarding their drugs/briefcases/whatever, they're gonna spawn right back there and get the jump on you, kill you and send you back to the start.

Took some time off from DMs after getting frustrated at shitty user created DMs, as well as people's insistence on using forced weapons.  I now realize why prison thugz always used to come up.  There really are a bunch of fools out there that love melee combat in this game.  About half the random DMs I've called up recently have been user created melee, and I just don't see the point.

Did a bunch of captures over the weekend instead, There were a lot of people in them due to the increased payouts, so they were actually fun for once.  I played a few user created ones, and they were mostly terrible, but at least you can't force weapons in captures.  It appears that everybody had the same idea - do a job around one of the banks downtown.  I saw at least 6 different ones that seemed to be based around that.  None of them were any good, primarily because people put spawn points too far away from the bank, so you have to drive forever after you respawn.  As far as I can tell, the best rule of thumb is to stick to the Rockstar captures, most of which are pretty good.

Captures were really buggy this weekend.  I played 3 or four where the objects we were supposed to capture disappeared.  One of those was a no time limit match, which went on for what seemed like forever.  No idea why it eventually ended, but I'm guessing even no limit matches have a limit.  I wound up with about 50 kills in that.  At the end, we were all just riding around in a military truck together, shooting at random things. 

Did another match where we were supposed to be robbing a bank, and the packages stopped appearing.  It had a 30 minute limit.  Everybody quite except me and one asshole that was spawn camping.  Unfortunately for him, there was no reason for me to die after the rest of his team left.  I stole a motorcycle, and used it to finally get the platinum wheelie medal.  Then I went to make lunch until the timer ran out.  I amused myself imagining him sitting at our spawn point, wondering where everybody was.

I managed to unlock LSPD tint on the AP pistol and assault shotgun.  going for assault SMG now. 

I'm grinding through captures today because I have nothing to do all day long and, with the bonuses, it seems like the best way to level up pretty quickly.

I got into one with a weird glitch earlier this morning where only 3 cases spawned, but each team needed 10 to win.  Everyone but me and a team member quit out of it, but I was just fucking around and eventually a ton spawned with nobody else left in the game.  We casually drove over, collected them all and got a huge payout for it.

I think that the only Capture / Raid / Hold scenario I have enjoyed was the one where you have to steal buses from depot and only because there were two, even teams of five, so you had support while attacking and defending.

I think that multi-team captures or captures with teams with less than four members per side (two attackers, two defenders) would suck.